Switzerland in August?

Sep 7th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Switzerland in August?

Does Switzerland shut down in August like many of the other places in Europe? We are thinking of travelling to Lauterbrunnen next August and this was just brought to our attention.
Sep 7th, 2007, 06:18 PM

Europe does NOT shut down in August.

Many industrial plants close for the month - so all workers are on vacation at once. And some small family businesses close in some countries - but this is becoming less frequent.

Switzerland does not close in August - since this is a busy time for them. You're more likely to find things closed in Oct or Nov (after summer travel finishes and before ski season).

Sep 7th, 2007, 09:32 PM

I've been to Switzerland several times in August (but not in Lauterbrunnen) and I didn't see or hear of things being 'shut down'. It's the middle of the summer tourist season.
Sep 8th, 2007, 12:00 AM

We were just in Switzerland for 2 weeks and day-tripped to the Lauterbrunnen Valley and there were LOADS of people there. It is summer high season.
Sep 8th, 2007, 02:14 AM

August is peak season in mountain resorts like Lauterbrunnen. That's where people spend their summer holidays, so why should they shut down? On the contrary, expect these place to be rather crowded and busy.
Sep 8th, 2007, 02:46 AM

To second what everyone else is saying, nothing that is related to tourism is closed. I.e, companies may close, the UN (some of it) shuts down, things work-wise get quieter but for a tourist, you would never know the difference. Although, do note that Sunday's are pretty much as shut down as it gets, at least in the cities. I live in Geneva but went to Gruyere on a Sunday this summer and it was packed and everything open. But, it is something to double check and keep in mind.