Switzerland in August

May 22nd, 2002, 01:15 PM
Chitra

Switzerland in August

Is it worthwhile going to Switzerland (mainly Bernese Oberland) in August? Or is it too crowded. I know the Europeans have their vacation in August.

Chitra

May 22nd, 2002, 01:37 PM
brownie

I think there is plenty of alps to go around

You'll just have to book things ... but for me it's worthwhile for sure. I work in Bern, and I enjoy it just as much all year 'round. And .. there is a certain amount of amusement (sorry people, but I'm sure I've been amusement to locals many times) seeing tourists waiting beneath the wrong clock.

May 22nd, 2002, 03:06 PM
Wayne

Actually, August is the best time for most of Switzerland; it's when they have the most festivals and special events, almost one a week in many towns. Yes, it is a bit crowded, but for some reason Switzerland never seems as crowded as some other countries in the summer. Maybe they handle the crowds better, or maybe it's my imagination. When I go to Switzerland I always try to go in July, August, or September.

May 22nd, 2002, 03:11 PM
Alec

As Swiss schools return in the second half of August, it can suddenly get a lot quieter in mountain resorts. True they will still be busy at weekends, but during the week there's a noticeable drop in visitor numbers, and accommodation, esp at the budget end, is easier to get hold of.

May 22nd, 2002, 03:15 PM
Claudia

I was in the Bernese Oberland last year, in late July/early August. Some of the trains/funiculars were a little crowded but they were mostly bearable. Once you're hiking, it doesn't seem crowded at all.

Enjoy!

May 22nd, 2002, 03:15 PM
K

Still thinkun huh? I thought you had
planned a 9-day trip. I'd get off my duff and visit that place in Jul/Aug.
The weather is predictable for the most part during that time.
-k

May 23rd, 2002, 04:40 AM

ttt

May 23rd, 2002, 06:21 AM
Gaia

LThere is a National Exhibition in Switzerland from May to Oct. It is called Expo 02. Look it up, because you may get problems.

May 23rd, 2002, 07:13 AM
Chitra

Thanks everyone. The June that I was planning earlier didn't work out. Hence the question about August. Yes I think I will get off my duff and go in August.

Thanks again everyone.

Chitra