Search

SWISS SAVER FLEXIPASS

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2012, 03:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SWISS SAVER FLEXIPASS

Heya Guys,

Need a small Info i have already purchased SWISS SAVER FLEXIPASS which is valid for 5 Days in a 1 Month . My First Day would be 02nd July and Lasy day would be 10th July 2012.

I would be using the pass on my first day tour when i reach Zurich airport and then take a train to Lucerne . I am planning to visit Mt Rigi on the same day if time permits.

On Day 2 i would NOT be using the swiss saver flexipass in the sense i would not marking the date.. However i would like to do Mt Titlis tour from Lucerne

Will i be given a 50% discount for the train from Lucerne to Engelberg since i already hold swiss pass and this date falls in between the first and last date?

Does the 50% discount also applied on Cable Car Rides and other excursion in mt titlis

Thanks,
Dat
Old May 6th, 2012, 04:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you USE the train up to Engleberg then that WILL BE a day you have to mark on the pass as used and I suggest you do so. Why? because if you do have a pass valid for that day you will get a significant DISCOUNT on the cable car lifts (there are three different sections to that ride which takes you to the top at Mt. Titlis) and otherwise that lift is expensive to use.

I strongly suggest you take that trip. The views from the top are spectacular and you can easily do the entire trip in half a day.
Old May 6th, 2012, 04:26 AM

and let me know if you need more information about that particular trip which I have done several times.
Old May 6th, 2012, 05:11 AM

If you don't mark the date then the Flexi Pass is not valid on that day. No discounts.

"Valid for 30 days" means you are free to select these 5 days on which the Flexi Pass gives reductions within a period of 30 days.
Old May 6th, 2012, 05:12 AM

Sorry, scratch my previous post. Yes, you do get 50% discount after marking the first day.
Old May 6th, 2012, 05:51 AM

< a 50% discount for the train from Lucerne to Engelberg since i already hold swiss pass and this date falls in between the first and last date?>

Yes 50% off everything on that day -

Does the 50% discount also applied on Cable Car Rides and other excursion in Mt Titlis>

yes 50% off that too - 50% off everything that moves in Switzerland practically.

Check out these fab IMo web sites for answers to these questions and invaluable info on Swiss trains - www.swisstravelsystem.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com - call Byron there - I have bought railpasses from him for years and he will patiently and expertly IME answer your questions by phone even though you have already bought your pass.
Old May 6th, 2012, 06:21 AM

You will NOT get any discount on any day that the pass is not valid. For the pass to be VALID on a particular day you MUST mark THAT DAY as being used. In other words, if you want to get any discount you are going to have to have a valid pass and the pass is only valid ON the day you have marked. Since the day you want to go to Mt. Titlis is between two other days you are going to USE the pass, you are ALSO going to have to use the pass on that "in-between" day.
Old May 6th, 2012, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Sorry guys i am bit confused now with two different answers

So i use pass on Day 1 to travel from Zurich to Luzern and mark the start date [ 2nd july ]
Also i mark the end date which is 11th july .

The pass is valid for 5 travels.. so i will be using it on 2nd, 5th , 8th , 10th , 11th

So if on 3rd of july i make a trip to mt titlis from Luzern would i not be getting 50% of all the discounts including train ride from Luzern to Engelberg, Then the cable car rides?

Because i had asked Europe rail in singapore that you i wil be receiving 50% of discount between the first and last day
Old May 6th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

@Dukey1
Also per the Swiss Tourism Website http://www.swisstravelsystem.ch/en/c...ss-flexi-pass/

Swiss Flexi Pass

The Swiss Flexi Pass allows travelers to freely choose their traveling days. You may travel on the Swiss Travel System network for 3, 4, 5 or 6 free selectable days within a month; on the selected days, you are offered the same great possibilities as when traveling with a Swiss Pass. With the Swiss Flexi Pass, you get on those days validated for free travel the free Admission to museums and the other discounts.

On the days between the first and the last validated day, your Swiss Flexi Pass offers a 50% discount on train, (postal) bus and boat rides, as well as on most mountain-top excursions.
Old May 6th, 2012, 07:40 AM

So if on 3rd of july i make a trip to mt titlis from Luzern would i not be getting 50% of all the discounts including train ride from Luzern to Engelberg, Then the cable car rides?

Because i had asked Europe rail in singapore that you i wil be receiving 50% of discount between the first and last day>

Yes that is exactly true as you copied from Swiss Flexipass conditions - 50% off everything that moves practically in between your fist and last day of 100% covered travel - i e using a day on your pass.
Old May 6th, 2012, 07:54 AM

Sorry, Dukey, but you're wrong here. Yes, you get the discount even on days that are not marked.
Old May 7th, 2012, 10:57 AM

usually correct yes but Dukey is DEFINITELY wrong here - in between the 1st and last days of a flexipass you do indeed get 50% off everything that moves in terms of public transport with one exception I know of - it is 25% between Grindelwald/Wengen and Kleine Schiedegg/Jungfraujoch - a change in recent years down from the previous 50%.
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 08:34 AM

Dear Datta,
Did you travel to mount titlis from lucerne without marking the date on 3rd?
I have come to switzerland as well and was thinking about buying the same flexi pass! but it is essential for me to have half fare price on the unmarked days! if thats not the case, i'll rather buy a half fare card! so pls do let me know asap.
thanks in advance.
karthik
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 12:00 PM

Rule with Swiss Flexipasses - you get X numer of days of 100% coverage on things covered 100% (Pilatus is only 50% in any case) and on days in between the first and last 100% flexible days you get 50% off everything that moves in Switzerland - trains, aerial gondolas, trains to mountain tops, lake boats, buses, etc. But after the final 100% travel day is used the pass lapses and is no longer valid for anything. so yes the Swiss Flexipass has the exact same benefits as the Half-Fare Card on unmarked days (one exception - Wengen/Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch is 25% off with Swiss Pass but I believe 50% off with Half-Fare Card.
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 01:28 PM

Why 50% on some trains and 100% on others?

Swiss Passes are valid on every train that moves in Switzerland but some 50% and most 100% - the rule seems to be that if the train (or aerial cable way or lake boat or postal ubs, etc) links two towns, of any size, it is covered 100% - but if the conveyance links only a town and say a mountain top then it is 50% off - makes sense, kind of!
Old Jul 6th, 2012, 08:06 AM

If thinking Flexipass then a 3-day Swiss Flexipass is almost always the best option over say a 4-day or longer one.

why? because of the 50% off on days in between the first and last 100% covered days - so take the price differential between a 3-day and a 4-day Swiss Flexipass and double it - that would be the break even point over buying the extra day above the 3-day bsic option. You would have to be travel major distance to make it a better deal than the 50% off you would automatically get with a 3-day flexipass.
Old Jul 6th, 2012, 10:02 AM

But note if traveling after Sep 1 there is a 2 for 1 special on Swiss 4-day passes - single and saver passes so in that case the 4-day Flexi would be a much better deal than the 3-day Flexi, due to the 2 for the price of one deal.