Which Swiss Train Pass for 5 weeks

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2006, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We plan to spend 5 weeks in Switzerland in the late spring into summer. I am looking into train passes. We like the convenience of having them and we have no plans of renting a car.

We are training it from Lake Como (we are spending the first part of our trip in Italy) to Brienz (for 2 weeks); then to Epesses (just outside of Montreaux on Lake Geneva for 1 week); then to Pontressina in the Upper Engadine for a week; and finally to Appenzell for the last week. We will are planning on flying out of Zurich. All our accomodations are booked - all vacation rentals.

Since the Swiss Pass is only for a month max, what should we do for the few additional days? Buying another pass for the few days is too expensive. Our trip is for June 2 to July 8, 2007.
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 06:35 AM

Hi baby2,

Are you sure that you need a Swiss Pass? Like you, I love the trains, but I'm not sure that a Pass will serve you for this trip.

Most areas have a regional pass that will cover local transportation. The Jungfrau region has two, the Jungfraubahn Pass and the Berner Oberland Pass (with different coverage and different prices). In Montreux, you'll get the Riviera Card (if you don't get it, ASK FOR IT -- it's covered when you pay your tourist tax), which covers the local busses. There's also the Regional Pass that you can find at www.montreux-vevey.com. I don't know the name of the pass for the Engadin, but I'm sure there is one.

So you may want to do that -- just pay point-point as you travel between your bases, and use the regional passes to explore within each region. You may want to just get the one-month Half-Fare Card, and time it to cover your longest point-point trips to cut down on that cost.

Sounds like an ideal trip!

s
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, s. I looked into the regional passes.

First class BO regional pass is 322 CHF which translates to about $270 for 15 days with 5 days of unlimited travel and 10 days of reduction. The regional pass for Montreux/Vevey is about the same rate: 155 CHF (about $130) for 7 days with 3 days of unlimited travel and 4 days of reduction.

At this rate, I think we are better off buying the one month Swiss Pass for $529 - unlimited travel for a month except for the mountains rides which are at 50% discount. We get free access to museums and our travel between regions are also covered. I just have to worry about the last few days while in Appenzell.

What do you think. Am I missing something?

Old Dec 28th, 2006, 11:33 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Just buy point-to-point tickets for the tiny bit of time not covered on your month pass. I never travel often enough in Switzerland to make any kind of pass worthwhile. 2nd class tickets are easy enough just grab them at the train stations as you need them.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 11:52 PM

Hi again,

Oooh, that is costly! Hmm, have you looked into the one-month Half-Fare Card? It costs 99 chf, then you pay half fare for each of your trips, including mountain rides. That's the one that usually comes out as most cost effective for me. But I know you like the added convenience of having a pass, so I'm not sure the HFC will suit.

Sorry my suggestion didn't work out!

s