Online Purchase of 2 for 1 Swiss Pass

Old May 7th, 2012, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Online Purchase of 2 for 1 Swiss Pass

Has anyone recently purchased a 2 for 1 Swiss Pass through the link on myswitzerland.com? I would like to purchase two sets of 2 for 1 passes for my upcoming trip - one set for 25-28 May and another for 29-31 May. From what I have read on the Swiss Travel System Facebook page, you have to provide travel dates when purchasing these tickets. But I have gone through the ordering process up to the final step and haven't found anywhere to enter the dates other than the date of departure from the USA. If you have gone through this process I would appreciate any help you can provide. I would hate to enter the info incorrectly since it's getting so close to my travel date. Thanks!
Old May 7th, 2012, 10:10 AM

Is it because you are ordering 4 passes instead of 2 passes?

The promotion is 2 for price of 1 for a 4-day pass.

There are 4, 8, 15, and 22 day Swiss Pass.

Why isn't there a promo for an 8-day SP or a 15-day SP?

Maybe you can only purchase a 4-day SP ONCE with this promo, not TWICE.

Thin
Old May 7th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

The promo is only on a 4-day Swiss Pass or Swiss Flexi Pass. Buying two sets of 4 day passes is a much better deal than an 8 day pass. It is possible to use the promo twice. I've had this verified by the Swiss Travel System and other websites selling the passes.
Old May 7th, 2012, 10:49 AM

Oh, OK.

I was just wondering why you can't buy 2 8-day passes.

Why do they make you buy 4 passes. That seems daft.

I always use a Half-Fare Card when in Switzerland so really don't understand the Swiss Pass that well.

Also--the train conductor marks your pass the first time you use it, so I don't understand why you have to list your travel dates on the myswitzerland website.

This is all so vexing. I am really put out.

Thin
Old May 7th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

I am vexed as well! An 8 day pass option would be nice. After running the numbers it is a close call between the half-fare and two 4-day promo passes. Since the pass includes museums and I can't determine every trip I will take in the BO, I want to get the pass. The date part is what I'm finding so confusing. I think for the Flexi pass you have it validated on the first day and then write in the days of travel. I saw a posting on the Swiss Travel System Facebook page where someone ordered two 4-day promo passes for 8 days of travel and the dates on all of the passes were (incorrectly) printed for the same 4 day period. I have emails into Swiss Travel System, Rail Europe, and Rick Steves so I hope to get it figured out soon. I'll post an answer if I hear back from anyone.
Old May 7th, 2012, 11:52 AM

I suggest calling Byron at www.budgeteuropetravel.com to have any question definitively answered - I have use him for years for passes and he always answers any question whether you buy from his agency or not - prices are universal though ask about mailing fees - many have none - and the 2 for 1 deal is a real deal!
Old May 7th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Rick Steves' website replied with the following: "They start when you get them activated (one by one) at a train station there, no later than 5/29."

Thanks for the reply, PalenQ. I'll have to keep Byron in mind for my future travels. This is my first time traveling to Europe without renting a car.
Old May 7th, 2012, 07:33 PM

Yes for travel no later than activating the pass on May 29 - cannot use it by activating it on May 30 but you still have the one-month max period from May 29 to fully use the pass.
Old May 8th, 2012, 11:10 AM

Why do they make you buy 4 passes. That seems daft.>

because they make more money perhaps selling two 4-day passes than one 8-day pass, even at 2 for 1 - 8-day passes cost significantly less per day than 4-day passes - the more days the cheaper per day the pass becomes.

and they make more than on 3-day passes because with a flexipass most people only need 3 100% covered travel days and not the 4th - so most buy 3-day flexipasses but with the inducement on 4-day flexi at half-price again the railways make a bit more than if folks bought 3-day flexis - well not make more but lose less than they seem.

So it's perplexing but indeed there is I think a method to their madness - madness which anyway is great for the traveler who happens to be able to go during that time frame - an off-season indeed for much of Switzerland in between summer and winter resort peak seasons - a shoulder season if you have it.
Old May 8th, 2012, 12:38 PM

http://www.budgeteuropetravel.com/id3.html

This site, which is always infallible IME, says that all travel on the Swiss 2 for 1 promo must be completed by May 29, 2012 and passes must be purchased by May 25, 2012 - I fear I gave wrong info when I said above you could use the pass for a max one-month period after activating - in this case it appears you cannot and the passes ceases to be valid after May 29, 2012 - specials are often done that way.

But I will check the Rail Europe site to make sure - their word is the official word because they are part owned by the Swiss Railways and are the sole wholesaler of Swiss Passes in North America I believe - calling them however means often getting some phone jockey who knows nothing really except prices, etc - one reason I've always dealt with Byron at Budget Europe - can talk to an expert.
Old May 8th, 2012, 01:56 PM

checking www.raileurope.com it clearly says all travel on the 2 for 1 special must conclude on May 29 - pass is not valid after that - it says pass must be purchased by May 25 - the last possible day someone could, from the US at least, utilize all 4 days.
Old May 8th, 2012, 02:08 PM

Thin - The 2 for 1 pass is only for 4/1-5/31 and 9/1-11/30.
Here's the info.

http://www.swisstravelsystem.ch/en/c...2-for-1-offer/

LoveLexi - There is a Facebook link on the above link. It says to post your questions there and they will answer within 24 hours.
Old May 8th, 2012, 02:35 PM

Yes, kybourbon, I understand that.

What I don't understand is why a person can't buy an 8-day or 15-day (or 22-day) pass and get one free.

Why does a person have to buy multiples of a 4-day pass for an 8-day or two-week (or three-week) trip?

Thin
Old May 8th, 2012, 02:37 PM

thin - for most people a 3-day flexipass would be the most economical deal if going the flexipass route - that would be the one to buy -not any 8-day flexi, for the average traveler.
Old May 8th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

I've been in contact with the Swiss Travel System and the Rail Dept at Rick Steves. The Swiss Rail System answered my Facebook posts and emails promptly. Rick Steves Rail Dept. answered emails quickly also.
My understanding is that the passes are only good for travel until May 31st. The pass must be activated by May 29th but can be used until the 31st. Even if you purchase a 4 day Flexi pass all travel days must be in May and unused days can't carry over to June. I ended up by two sets (basically a 7 day Swiss Pass for 2) for use from May 25-31 for $500 USD through the Rick Steves website but my confirmation was sent by Rail Europe.
I've reworked my spreadsheet a dozen different ways and think I ended up with a good deal. Too late now to worry about it! Thanks for all the input! Now I can focus on the fun part of vacation planning-sites and food.
Old May 9th, 2012, 11:19 AM

$500 USD through the Rick Steves website but my confirmation was sent by Rail Europe.>

TMK orders thru Rick Steves site automatically are routed to Rail Europe - so you are ordering thru Rail Europe and Rick gets a good cut for steering folks there and does not have to do any of the time-consuming dirty work - such as dealing with refunds, mailing, etc. Great deal for Rick but not for custsomers who want to order from anyone else than the dread RailEurope!