Reload this Page >

Swiss opportunity....

Search

Swiss opportunity....

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 01:00 PM
April

Swiss opportunity....

I have the opportunity to stay at Residence Mont-Calme in Haute Nendaz, Switzerland the first week of November. Does anyone know anything about this resort? What is the area like at that time of year? I'm not a skier, so any other suggestions of things I should take advantage of? We plan on driving there...are there any things we should be warned about? Any suggestions and help would be appreciated!

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 01:15 PM
April

Royal Alpage Club in Les Croset is another alternative. Maybe someone knows something about there as well.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 11:10 PM
xxx

Have heard that the Haute Nendaz area is very nice, however have never been there. Also - beware November is a "down" season, meaning probably no snow below 2'500 meters or so, and most likely all lifts will be closed until the winter season starts sometime in December. So - would think your best bet is to do some hiking if you like that, and hiking in the Valais is great. You can also move down lower in the valley and spend some time there. The whole region is particularly known for wine - so have a bottle or two.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 07:06 AM
April

Thank you very much for your suggestions! I will definitely look into the wine. Any in particular that I should look for?<BR><BR>Also, I hear that Switzerland is very expensive, but with everyone's standards being different, does anyone have an example of pricing there? I'm trying to figure in a budget so I don't get there and go crazy! lol <BR><BR>Thanks for all help again!

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 09:00 AM
xxx

April - it's hard to tell you about pricing, since the subject is so huge. If you wanted to know examples of what specific objects cost, it would help to know what they'd be. Otherwise, you can take any Swiss-Franc price you may have and divide by 1.5, and you'll get the $ amount (suppose you're American, or...?). There are pretty good economy or price-off deals on local travel via trains, for instance, that will bring those costs down. <BR><BR>About wine - don't have any specific names in mind, but perhaps the best idea is to find out which if any &quot;caves&quot; or wineries are open for some wine-tasting. You can look up a list at www.valaistourism.ch, type in the word &quot;Caves&quot; inside the &quot;Find&quot; rectangle, and it will present you a whole list. You may have to select English language somewhere in the website, or it may just appear in English, I don't know...<BR><BR>A &quot;best bet&quot; for that time of year is Zermatt, the village near the Matterhorn. It's somehow kept a small-village feel while offering lots of infrastructure like shopping, nightlife, sports etc. for tourists. And more things will be &quot;open&quot; in a village like Zermatt than in smaller ones. So if you still can, consider this as an alternative...<BR><BR>