Liquor in Switzerland

Search

Liquor in Switzerland

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Liquor in Switzerland

My hubby wants to know the availability of any Canadian Bourbon in both restaurants and stores. What about american beer? or is it all swiss/german beer? I may occasionally drink Amaretto or a Reisling white wine. Can I get those?

Thanks!
Old May 14th, 2006, 06:09 PM

Can't really comment on the Canadian bourbon issue. In general, in larger cities and towns (Zurich, Geneva, Lucerne) you will find some American beers and beers like Corona, mostly in bars versus restaurants, but in small mountain villages it is unlikely that you will find them, however in touristy places like Interlaken you probably will. In grocery stores in larger towns you will find some American beers. However, virtually every canton and even parts of each canon on the German side has its own beer and you should really try them, and in summer there is Weiss beer (white beer) which is very refreshing, again you should try that. You should be able to find Amaretto and Rieslings easily (the latter may not be a true German Riesling, but may be a sweet white Swiss wine).

If the bourbon is really important to him, he may want to bring a bottle with im just in case he can't locate it, it will also be more expensive if he bought it in a liquor store in Switzerland. He can bring in one litre duty free to Switzerland.
Old May 14th, 2006, 06:32 PM

I agree--the wines in Switzerland are wonderful. You should try anything from Valais and a nice light beer is Cardinale--with lemon, of course
Old May 15th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Cicerone - thanks for the info. Hubby will be so happy that he can get some american beers. I know he'll try some of the local beers but, just in case, it's good to know he has a possible option. The bourbon issue - can he bring a flask into a restaurant? Just in case they don't have it. That's where he's going to miss it the most. Because he is bringing some with us for the Cottage.

Rat-the-cat77 - I don't drink much wine (hence, the very sweet wine) but I will have to try some local wines.

Now I'm more worried about what I will be drinking. If they don't like to give "tap" water, I may be in real trouble. They already are not going to have Diet Dr. Pepper (my staple drink gt ). I have started drinking "Wylers" Drink mix (D.Dr.P is getting too expensive). So if I can get tap water, I can add the drink mix and be set. However, if I can't get tap water, how is that going to taste with mineral water? Guess we'll figure that out when we get there.
Old May 15th, 2006, 08:59 AM

lol at Corona being available, it's a Mexican beer, not American. As for the OP, Bud is available pretty much worldwide, other American beers can be found, but less commonly. Not sure about the Canadian bourbon or the Amaretto (but Amaretto is Italian originally, so it'll probably be available, at least in stores), Riesling will almost certainly be available, at least in grocery stores, and likely they'll have some sort of sweet white wine in restauraunts that is pretty similar (if you want sweet Riesling, make sure you ask for it ("Suss&quot, because the Germans at least do like dry ("trocken&quot and semi-sweet ("halb-trocken&quot Riesling).
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:04 AM

Bud is available in Ireland, but it's not imported. It's brewed there, and it was awful!!

Bring a bottle of your own Canadian Bourbon with you. Pick one up at the Duty Free shop prior to your departure.
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

grsing - that's what my hubby said gt What about Coors or Coors light? Thanks for the tip on "suss", vs. "trocken" and "halb-trocken". Can't do either of those!!

budman - "Duty Free Shop" prior to departure. Do you mean departure from the states? How much would a liter be in Switzerland? or at the duty free shop? and where is the duty free shop (states or switzerland)?
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:22 AM

There's duty free in the departure lounge in the States. You just need to show your ticket. I would assume you could get duty free at a Canada airport departing for Europe.

There's one in Zurich, but you can only use it when you are flying back to the States or Canada, so that wouldn't help you out.
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:29 AM

Switzerland is one country that apparently has legalized absinthe and an absinthe production area near the French border and the Jura i think has an absinthe official classification much like the French D.O.C.
So if looking for a different buzz try absinthe.
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:52 AM

Not sure about Coors or Coors Light, but I haven't seen it anywhere in Europe I've been, though I haven't exactly been looking (though I am sure it isn't available at the Sainsbury's near me in the UK, can't really extrapolate for sure from that).
Old May 15th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

JN - Thanks for the links and the help, I'll check it out. I hope we've found a cool place to stay. It's really rustic but, that's okay the views will more than make up for it.

suze - your "point to point" comment is about what we've decided. Do you know when they have the local markets. I've seen some on weekends and some are on like Tues and/or Thurs. Both the tues/thurs ones really won't be of much help since we'll be there from Sat. to Sat. But, I still may pick up a quick snack at one. Where do they hold them in Lucerne? Do you know?

Luggage upstairs may be a problem gt.

victoria_reynolds - thanks for the link. I'll check it out too.

Thank you all for your great help. I will check this site one last time for the response to my questions in this post. Then I probably won't be back to this site for a while. I'm not only trying to plan this trip but . . we are taking a weekend trip next weekend, we're trying to sell our house and build a house. So I need to spend some time doing some work around here. I've been on the internet for about 2 weeks trying to plan this trip. Now that I have my accomodations figured out and I have found a flight, the rest can wait a bit.

Thanks again for your help - whitneykt

Old May 15th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

OOPPSSS!!!! gt;

I was reading the replies to my post "liquor in Switzerland" and replied to it with the reply to my other post here by mistake.

So, if you want to know what the h@@l I'm talking about - go to "Zurich to Lucerne train with luggage" and maybe the above post will make more sense.

Sorry - can you see I'm a little "frazzled"? gt;

Old May 15th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

I had someone reply to one of my other posts with a great site for Migros. They sell just about everything - liquor, beer, food, gardening, clothing, jewelry, perfume, etc.

Some of you may already know about them but, for those of us who don't you may want to check it out. If you are staying somewhere in Switzerland with a kitchen, it would be of great help to you.

www.le-shop.ch
Old May 15th, 2006, 10:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whitney,

I've been following your posts with a bit of frustration. I'm glad you chose Switzerland and you'll love Merlischachen. But remember, you are in Switzerland. Be daring and try our products. Most Americans actually prefer the Swiss beer over the US beer. And as for liquor, try the Cafe Schnapps (apple/pear brandy), Cafe Zwetschgen (prune brandy) or Cafe Kirsch (cherry brandy). They are great coffees.

Migros does not sale liquor. However, there's a Getranke shop in Merlischachen that sales almost every kind of drink you can find. Please go there for your Canadian Bourbon needs. However, you won't find Wyler's.

Tap water: you can get it in the restaurants but nowaday you have to pay for it in many places. Go ahead and ask for it but remember it might not be for free.

You have chose a stunning place in Switzerland to be at. Don't ruin it by running all around trying to find drink and food brands you know. You're in Europe for the adventure. Live it!

P.S. Do try the Bratwurst. It's very good.
Old May 15th, 2006, 11:20 PM

As Schuler said:

> I've been following your posts with a bit of frustration.

I must say I have a similar sentiment. Maybe you have your reasons for this though. Still you will try local drinks at least a bit, won't you?

Migros has been (the biggest)supermarket chain that does not sell alcoholic drinks so far. Sometimes, middle to big size Migros shops have a liquor store as a tenant by the entrance though.

I bought Coors last year at a Coop store in the city. They also have those funny fruit flavored beer made in Belgium, with peach, apple, rapsberry. Maybe for ladies?

In case nobody answered (sorry I have not read all the replies), usually you cannot bring your own bottles at restaurants. I thought it was universdal bus since you asked, being curious, do you do that in America (you are American, aren't you?)?
Old May 15th, 2006, 11:38 PM

I am a Canadian living in Luzern and I haven't seen any Canadian Bourbon. Unlikely, they will don't allow a flask in the restaurants either. You do see Canadian wiskey here regularly. Crown Royal is in most shops selling liquor but I think it is about 40CHF for 750ml. Canadian Club is available in many restaurants. Amareto is widely available in drink shops for about 20CHF for 750ml bottle

Not much chance of finding Bud or Coors either. Can't recall actually ever seeing either on sale in Switzerland and I am a Beer guy.

It sounds like you may be passing through the train station in Luzern quite a bit. If so, in the shopping area on the floor below the platforms there is a Drinks of the World store. It has Dr. Pepper(but no diet I believe) and has some American Beers (no Bud or Coors but more smaller American breweries like Sam Adams, Brooklyn, and Anchor). The store also carries hard stuff and a few wines. The drinks at that store are pretty expensive though. You are paying a pretty hefty premium for location and importing the stuff. But if you really need some of your drinks from back home...

Luzern does have its own local brewery. It is called Eichhof and while I don't find much of their product particularly interesting, the one I drink is called Klosterbrau. You may suggest your husband tries that.

Also suggest your husband tries the Weissen/Weizen beer like Cicerone mentioned. Usually a bit more expensive as it generally is imported from Germany but I really like that style personally.
Old May 16th, 2006, 03:15 AM
JN

WK
One piece of advice we've always traveled by is that Half the fun of going to another country is NOT eating the same foods or drinking the same beverages you find in your home country.

Tell your husband to not sweat the canadian whiskey and certainly not the coors light. German/swiss beers offer lighter varieties (Helles) as well as the stronger/darker types. Almost all are so much tastier than Coors Light that it isn't even close. Take a risk, try some out and come back a euro beer connoisseur! Avoid the McD's and pizza places, try the Geschneltes, Roesti, fondue, Raclette, wurstsalads, schnitzels and the like and come home with a newly discovered appreciation of wonderfully prepared foods, with high quality ingredients and different spicing. You've got the rest of your days for the stuff back home.

OK, sermon over. Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Old May 16th, 2006, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

schuler, kappa, adwinn & jn -

Thank you for your "surmons" gt; I'm sorry that I've given everyone the wrong impression. Yes we are American. However, I am part German (grandmother - german and grandfather - swiss, hence our trip to Switzerland) although I've never lived there.

That's our idea of taking this trip is to experience the flavors of the country. We want to find the restaurants that serve the more traditional foods than the ones that serve the American foods.

The reason for the liquor and food questions is - just in case we don't like the food/drink we have an option. Plus, when we are back at our Cottage, we'd like our comforts of home and we know how to cook steak or sausage. gt;

schuler - Hubby won't drink anything sweet. I guess that website was stuff only to be purchased on-line. He plans to bring his own bourbon and I will bring the Wylers. I'm not cracked about Bratwurst but hubby likes it. I will try it there tho - maybe it's different than what we have.

Kappa - I knew it was a stupid question to ask if you bring a flask into a restaurant. And, no we can't do it here either. But, then again our hotels don't have twin beds and duvets either. So who knew? gt;

adwinn - Hubby will be happy if the restaurants sell Canadian Club or Crown. That's what he drinks. YEA - Dr. Pepper!!!!! That's what I used to drink but, cut back to diet. I lost 20 lbs just by doing that. Thanks for the train station tip.

jn - That is one place I DON'T plan on eating at is McD's or a pizza joint. Nor are we going to try any Italian, Mexican or Oriental. I'm excited to try the Roesti and the spaetzel. Roesti sounds like what my family calls "potato pancakes" (only we don't do the toppings) and we have spaetzel at every holiday.

I hope I've eased everyones mind, we aren't that picky - just checking availability if needed. gt;

Thanks again for all your replies. And yes - we plan to go and have a great time there. I CAN't WAIT!!!!! Sept. is never going to get here. gt;
Old May 16th, 2006, 09:33 AM
JN

No need to apologize, even if you are apicky eater. If people can put up with my: 1) spelling (Geschnetzeltes, not whatever else I typed) 2) opinions that may be off-base, and 3) giving four suggestions when saying I'd give a couple, I ought to treat people with different food/drink tastes with respect. Sorry if the sermon crossed the line.
Old May 16th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

jn - no you didn't cross the line. Just commenting on others. It's true - we all have different tastes, likes/dislikes. So when you travel to a different country for the very first time, you just want to be prepared. I appreciate all comments - that's how I learn. Thanks to all - no matter what you say or how you tease me on my spelling. gt;

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -