Wineries/wine tasting in Switzerland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now in addition to the mouth-watering meal recommendations you all are giving me on another thread, we're looking for recommendations on wineries. Has anyone been to any in Switzerland? Are they at all like what I'd expect to find in, say, Napa Valley, or are they different?

We're narrowing our trip down to the west part of the country, so we're especially interested in wineries and wine tasting around Geneva and Neuchatel, but please feel free to post about all of Switzerland for others who might have the same question about different regions - I hear the Bernina area (is that right? East?) has some wonderful wine, too.

Thanks!
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 02:37 AM

Hi suspire,

Sorry no personal recommendations, but I can direct you to a link for the winegrowing region above Vevey called the Lavaux: www.lavaux.ch. It has links to the caves, with opening times, etc.

I hope Ingo sees this and replies -- I keep meaning to get to "his" cave in Lutry but haven't yet. But you may be able to get some basic info at www.lutry.ch.

Good luck!

s
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 10:01 AM

Nothing better than wine tasting ... yes, I have been to Lutry's caveau for a wine tasting. It was a highlight of the trip. Excellent whites and two reds (Lutry is one of the few villages at Lake Geneva where reds grow). The caveau is in the centre of the small town, located in an old town house with vaulted rooms. Locals gather there after work for a glass of wine and spicy "Saucisson Vaudoise" (a sort of salami) plus cheese. The ambience was fantastic.

But I'd like to direct you to this website:
www.swisswine.ch

You find a lot of links to other wine related websites and also information about the Swiss wine regions in general.

For wine in the Neuchatel region e.g. try www.ovpt.ch or (at Lake Biel, which I'd prefer) www.bielerseewein.ch

Not sure if these have English versions available. I cannot comment on the comparison with Napa Valley, since I have not been (yet) to the US.

For wine in the Bernina region (Valposchiavo, Valtellina) see www.triacca.com

As far as I know they offer wine tastings, but I could not get information on their website. I remember that excursions from the Engadin/St. Moritz were offered which included a wine tasting at Triacca's winery in Campascio (La Gatta). You can buy their wine anywhere in the Engadin (COOP groceries e.g.)
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Oooooh, good golly are you all getting me excited for my trip. How will I wait out the full year until I go?! Reading every one of your posts about past trips to Switzerland, undoubtedly ..

Swandav and Ingo, those recommendations all sound FANTASTIC. Wine, cheese, chocolate and thou, what more could I want! Switzerland rules!
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 01:12 PM

"Lutry's caveau", Ingo, does that mean there is only one? I must have missed this vivid description previously (the bit about locals and wine and saucisson and cheese). It sounds wonderful. Is it open only at certain hours. I'm curious, because I never thought of the caveaus as being gathering places for local folks, more for wine groupies. You make it sound almost like a pub (sans beer). Enlighten me, if you please. J. (Hi, S', and no, I'm not going to the Lavaux anytime soon, alas.)
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

FYI - I found a website in English:

http://www.lake-geneva-region.ch/ind...mp;language=EN

Looks fantastic!
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 09:11 AM

Oh the region around Vevey has alot of vineyards - we did some walking thru the vineyards and also biked from Vevy to I can't remember! it is as small town not far from Vevey in the direction of Lausanne. If you walk the vineyards and want to do some tasting go on a weekend - we went on Monday and all the little shops advertising wines were closed. We really enjoyed the swiss wines and you so rarely find them for sale here in the states - I think they keep them all for themselves!
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 10:30 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Not exactly a "wine tasting", more wine drinking(!)...

If you happen to be in on a Saturday Vevey mid-July thru August, for 6 weeks there is a different vintner represented at the Saturday morning open air market each week (they offer one white, one rose, one red to sample). You buy an empty glass at 9am or after, for a minimal set price and can have all you like until Noon! There's even a little cart they roll around the marketplace so you can drink while you buy your produce, cheese, flowers, etc. It is a big social event for locals and tourists in the summertime, it's called Marche Folklorique.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 10:32 AM

<I think they keep them all for themselves!>

Correct, or that's what my friend who lives there says... that the Swiss love their wines and drink what they produce mostly.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Oooh, that Vevey market sounds fantastic! Saturdays all the way through August? I'm not sure when we'll be there, but probably August. Could be September.

Okay, so I need to plan to be in Vevey on a Saturday! Check! Man, what I wouldn't give to be at a farmer's market right now with a glass of wine in one hand and a thick slice of yummy cheese in the other ...!
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 09:03 PM

This year, il "Merlot del Ticino" celebrates its 100th anniversary. You can find out more of the various wine routes in English under "Gastronomy" and "Wines and cellars" on www.ticino-tourism.ch
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 06:57 PM

Does anyone have any specific winery recommendations for tour/tastings in Ticino? I have been on the Ticino tourism website, but I am hoping for personal experiences. Thanks!
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 09:50 PM

I would add, don't forget champagne.

When in Lugano, we bought some Swiss Ticino champagne. (Try and find that in the US!) Drank it on the train en route to Assisi. It was up there with the best I have ever tasted.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Metic - that is a high recommendation! I will give the champagne a try!

Thanks for all the thoughts from everyone. I look forward to reporting back next year!!
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 03:39 PM

suspire- The Vevey market runs all year early on Saturday mornings (town square), and a smaller version on Tuesday mornings (pedestrial street). And well worth a visit. It's honestly one of my favorite things to do in Europe.

Unfortunately the wine drinking part is only for the 6 summer weeks mid-July thru August.