Swiss International Airlines

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

I've been looking into several possible trips from Miami to destinations in Europe for June 2010.

Invariably Swiss International Airlines comes up hundreds of dollars less expensive than any other airline.

Is there a catch?
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We just flew Swiss from Montreal to Zurich and Rome. They were great, although my wife's suitcase disappeared for three days. I don't think it was their fault. The service was terrific.
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 05:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
We've flown LA-Zurich-LA three times and had very positive experiences every time. Don't ask me about United.
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 12:07 AM

We flew Swiss this time last year, Singapore to Zurich & return. Generally good, although they did not provide night packs for the overnight flight- take a toothbrush. They did serve white chocolate ice cream on our flights - this more than made up for the lack of toothbrush, eye mask etc.
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 01:26 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
We flew Swiss from Zurich to LAX this past April in Business Class. We weren't impressed. Uncomfortable seats (for sleeping anyway), awkward entertainment system, the worst vegetarian meals I've ever had, and dismissive service.

We're spoiled by Singapore Air though, so take that with a grain of salt.
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 01:32 AM

No catch. For long-haul coach, Swiss is fine. Nothing special, but fine. Should be comparable to most of the other carriers out there. Don't count on it blowing you away and you should be happy. Their intra-European coach flights are usually quite pleasant and as nice as the better intra-European carriers (KLM and BA, IMO), and better than the lesser intra-European carriers (SAS, for example).

In business class, it really depends upon the aircraft, with some of the older seats being incredibly uncomfortable. The older A330-200 biz seats are the worst I have ever been in. The new A330-300 biz seats are supposed to be quite nice. The A340 seats are pretty standard angled, lie-flat seats.

Connections are easy enough at ZRH, as well, so if you are going somewhere other than Switzerland, that is no worry. It is still a bit of a hassle, as you will have to reclear security, but no worse than most airports. The biggest problem is that the airport has few diversions, food is expensive, and it is often unbearably hot.