Search

Swiss food

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2004, 12:57 PM
P_M
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swiss food

I will be visiting Geneva in August and I would very much like to hear recommednations for your favorite Swiss foods. I am also interested in any suggestions for restaraunts or cafes in Geneva. Additionally I would appreciate your opinions as to what are the best Swiss chocolates, as I believe that chocolate should be added as one of the basic food groups. ;-)

I will be travelling alone on a budget, so I will be avoiding any place that's very pricey or romantic. Thanks!!
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 01:27 PM

If you happen to go into the mountains to Chateau d'oex, be sure to taste raclette, which is the melted cheese with potatoes, little onions, and pickles. yum.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 01:57 PM

Being on a budget in Geneva is a challenge. I'd suggest visiting the suburb/district Carouge for the cafes and night life. Also, there is a cafe on Place du Bourg-de-Four as I recall for an after work drink or morning espresso with your IHT.

For good economical eating there is a cafeteria-like restaurant which is, I believe, on rue des Terreaux du Temple in front of a bus stop. It's a short street and if you can't find it just ask someone. People in Geneva are very helpful, though reserved. It's a big restaurant with a wide selection of foods at mini kiosks throughout. It's down home and very popular so someone should be able to help you find it.

In August you can certainly swim in Lac Leman. I did it in June. It is the sweetest water you will ever be in. You can see the source, Mont Blanc, from the Quai du Mont Blanc along with the Jet d'Eau.

Go over to the French side and explore around for a good auberge if you have wheels. It is a beautiful part of France. The food and wine everywhere is excellent and reasonably priced, though romantic.

Old Mar 27th, 2004, 03:41 PM

If you like Swiss fondue, it's a must for me - a whole meal in itself. Wish I'd written down the restaurant name but it was in the old town area of Geneva walking past the giant chess board - well, there's probably many places to get it. And, you could just make a meal out of ice cream sundaes - one of my favorite things to do
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 05:43 PM
P_M
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you who have replied so far. Hopscotch, the swim in Lac Leman sounds like a slice of heaven, as does Nancy's suggestion to make a meal of sundaes!! Other suggestions are most welcome.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 05:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I second raclette. And movenpick ice cream.
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 02:49 AM

Ditto on the raclette - delicious! As for chocolate, my vote goes to Lindt especially their dark chocolate. Enjoy!
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 06:55 AM

My favorite Swiss chocolates come from Schiesser, a boutique chocolate maker in Basel, Switzerland. I like them even better than Belgian chocolate, which shows how good they are!
My favorite "Swiss" meal is actually risotto al funghi. Technically Italian, but it's served all over the Ticino region and in Swiss/Italian restaurants throughout the country...but the best I've had, so far, is at the Pomodoro restaurant, also in Basel.
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 07:26 AM

I like the local food in the Engadine in particular: Capuns, any sort of venison. other tasty dishes are chestnut pasta (Val Bregaglia), Pizzocheri neri (Val Poschiavo).

In the Lake Geneva region you must go to a caveau in one of the small towns/villages in the vineyards and have a plate of cheese and saucisson vaudoise (a mostly spicey sort of salami) with a bottle of Pinot Noir or White Wine (Chasselas, Pinot Gris).

Geneva, BTW, is famous for its Sauce Genevoise, which is the Swiss contribution to French Gourmet Cuisine.

Old Mar 28th, 2004, 09:23 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Take a train out to Vevey early on Saturday morning and go to the open air farmers market in the town square. All kinds of wonderful local foods on offer. Excellent and reasonably priced.

If it's early in the month you could be there during Marche Folklorique. Each Saturday for 6 weeks (July/Aug) one local winery is featured. You buy an empty glass for a set price and fill it as often as you like during the morning shopping hours (9-12)!
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 08:34 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Check the bakeries, besides beautiful breads and pastries often they have simple sandwiches to grab for a bite to eat on the go.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 08:45 AM

mmmmm.... tartiflet! and raclette! and croute! and fondue! and rosti!

Swiss food is wonderful, I joke that is is similar to Mexican food... the same 4 or 5 ingrediants done different ways. So if you like cheese, potatoes, lardon and cream you will be in business. I'm going to top my trip report for you because I had some yummy meals while in Geneva for 2 weeks at very local places.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 09:54 AM

Forgive this gross generalization, but I was served the saltiest food I have ever eaten in the German speaking portion of Switzerland...the sauces seemed to be just burningly salty. Don't know if it would do any good to ask "how salty is that sauce" because if the people at the restaurant are used to that much salt, they won't think it's overly salty.