Sweden's Northwest Coast

Jan 23rd, 2002, 06:55 AM
Jim Moore

Sweden's Northwest Coast

I want to find an island or coastal area to chill out for a week in between traveling around Scandanavian countries. Northwest coast of Sweden seems great to me.

Jan 23rd, 2002, 08:20 AM
Joe

Can't help you with Northwest Coast, but a great island spot would be the walled village of Visby on Gotland Island. You can get a ferry from just above Kalmer (fantastic castle) and leave by fast ferry to Stockholm if you choose. Visby is very medieval, has a pretty, fun waterfront scene, great restaurants, beautiful seaviews and is wonderful for biking (on the Island outside of the Village) Visby was one of the highlights of our Scandinavian Trip last year.

Jan 23rd, 2002, 11:16 AM
Olle

Hi Jim,
I'm from Gothenburg. When are you planning to go here, during winter, summer or..?
I good website to start with is http.//www.smorgasbord.se

Jan 23rd, 2002, 11:57 AM
Jim

Ollie - we are going in late July, thanks for the help.

Jan 23rd, 2002, 01:34 PM
John Bermont

Sweden does not have a northwest coast.

If you want isolation try Aland, aboput half way from Stockholm to Turku in the Gulf of Bothnia. There is hardly anything there. It is actually in Finland but everybody speaks Swedish; one of those things.

Jan 24th, 2002, 12:44 PM
Olle

Hi,
I suppose you mean the north Westcoast of Sweden, Bohuslän or...?
Bohuslän is very nice during summer.
If you have more questions about the Westcoast, I will try to answer.

Jan 25th, 2002, 10:48 AM
Jim

Ollie - Yes the Bohuslan area is where we are looking to be in late July. What do you think is best - Smogen, Lysekil, or where would you suggest for about five days. Thanks.

Feb 18th, 2002, 09:02 AM
Barbara

I've been to Smogen many times. It's a wonderful spot for relaxing and seeing some of the most beautiful sailboats I've ever seen. Even if you don't stay there it's a "must" to visit.
Have fun.

Mar 29th, 2002, 08:33 AM
Steve

Topping for Burt

Jun 1st, 2002, 05:16 PM
Daniel

Message: The Swedish West Coast between Gothenburg and the Norwegian border is very beautiful. I guess it has a lot in common with the coast of Maine, with granite rocks and lobsterfishing. It´s very popular in summer, but the season is short - from mid-June to mid-August. Don´t miss the wooden towns of Fjällbacka and Grebbestad. More information at www.norrabohuslan.com and www.vastsverige.com