Search

Sweden- side trip ideas

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2003, 11:52 AM
JVS
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweden- side trip ideas

We (married couple, early 30's- no kids) will be staying in Uppsala (sp??)the first week of June and would like ideas for interesting side trips (1-2 days). Would prefer something with Swedish heritage/historical value.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 01:00 PM

We (late-20s at the time, no kids) were in Sweden two years ago and visited a few other spots beyond Stockholm. You say you're staying in Uppsala, but I assume you'll at least visit Stockholm and are looking for another idea beyond that.<BR><BR>If that's the case, I recommend the island of Gotland in the Baltic. Main city there is Visby, which is a World Heritage site. Old, medieval walled city that thrives on tourism - but mainly Swedish tourists which was very interesting. Few North Americans there at all. Visby and Gotland is a perfect two-day getaway from urban Sweden that gives you the charm and local colour you seem to want. Easily accessable by ferry from a town just south of Stockholm. Take the fast ferry because it's a long way, but worth the time to get there.<BR><BR> Suggest renting a car for a day and driving around the island. Very easy driving. There are beaches along the coast of the island and rock formations in various spots. Also several sites of Viking ruins.<BR><BR>Visby was a highlight of our trip. Another option could be Kalmar in the south, which is the gateway to all the Swedish glassworks (Orifors, Kosta Boda, etc.) which are interesting. If you go there, try to go to a hyttsyll (sp?) dinner at the glassworks.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 01:38 PM
JVS
Original Poster

Bluejay: Thanks for your recommendations. Can you recommend a good hotel on Visby? How long is the (fast)ferry and how much should we plan to spend ($US)on the excursion (w/car)? The commerce is still in Kroner (vs. Euro)?
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 02:16 PM

Ferry ride is 3-4 hours. It's long, but we took an early-morning ferry so the day was not lost. Arrived in Visby well before noon. <BR><BR>Car rental is easy. We found a Visby-based booking service through the Swedish tourist bureau (they have a web site - I don't recall what it is) and the local bureau helped us book the car. It was located on the main street by the harbour. But I doubt they have many cars so book in advance.<BR><BR>Our hotel is better described as &quot;adequate&quot; than &quot;good&quot;. It was newly finished, but right over a restaurant. Still, it served our purpose. Again though, I don't remember the name. I suggest finding the Swedish tourist bureau on teh web and email them. They'll send you, by mail, a complete tourism package with lots of other web links and brochures. If you ask specifically about Visby/Gotland they'll focus the info on that.<BR><BR>As for costs, I really don't recall. Sweden is not a bargain destination, but I don't think Gotland was notably more expensive than other parts of the country. Car rental is only needed for one day, so can't be very much.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 04:54 AM

Sweden does not use the Euro.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 09:02 AM

JVS: Like Bluejay, I assume you have a couple of days reserved for Stockholm (easy drive from Uppsala). If not, you should as it is a delightful city with much to see and do.<BR>Also like Bluejay, I would recommend Visby for a two day side trip. The fast ferry takes about two and a half hours to get there from just south of Stockholm. Reservations for the ferry are recommended if you will bring your car, although, your car will not be neccessary for two days at Visby. You could ferry over one morning, stay the night and ferry back the next day. <BR>Visby is a charming, very medieval walled village. The walls and many medieval buildings are in very good repair. There are great shops and cafes. The restaurants are first rate. The views of the sea from all over Visby are awesome. The harbor scene is great fun.<BR>We stayed at The Strand Hotel which turned out to be a Best Western. We didn't know that until we arrived as they don't advertise it. But, it was very nice; pretty lobby, nicely decorated rooms, good sized and well equipped bathrooms, nice garden view (not spectacular), great location, about $120 per night.<BR>The Island is great for biking (easily rented). Visby was one of the highlights of our month long Scandinavian Vacation. You'll love it. Have a great trip.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 12:04 PM

Those of you recommended Visiby, do you think it would be possible to do it in one day? Taking the early morning ferry and areturning on a night one? Or would that not be enough time?
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 05:06 PM

Liz: I suppose it would be possible, but you would spend five hours in route just on the water (two and a half hours each way) and this, only, if you got the fast ferries each way. Not all the sailings are &quot;fast ferries&quot; and then it goes to three and a half, four hours each way. Don't want to discourage you, but it is a delightful location and deserves some time. Good luck.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 03:40 AM

Thanks joegirl. I'm torn. It sounds amazing, and I would love to go. But we only have 4 days in Stockholm. I guess we'll just stick to Sotckhom this trip.<BR><BR>
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 04:10 AM

Last year I spent a couple of nights in Uppsala (at the Basic Hotel, which really lived up to its name). Near the base of the cathedral is Restaurant Domtrappkallaren (address: St. Eriks Grand 15), one my favorite restaurants in Europe. Their potato pancake with caviar was superb. The menu is Swedish/French/Asian fusion, with a good selection of Scandinavian specialties. They have an excellent wine list and you can have a glass of almost any wine on the list. <BR>Another day trip suggestion: Sigtuna. It's the oldest town in Sweden and at one time (the year 1000) it was the *only* town in the entire country. It has a pretty setting on Lake Malaren, a nice town for strolling around with several interesting historic sites.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 06:15 AM

If you have 4 days in Stockholm, my advice would be to take two of them and see Visby/Gotland. Two days will enable you to catch the highlights of Stockholm and get a flavour for the city. Plus you'll return there for another evening after Visby. <BR><BR>If you enjoy cycling, then as joegri wrote, the island is great for that. We did it by car, but no need to rent on the mainland and bring the car on the ferry (and back again). You can do a simple one-day rental right in Visby, though I suggest booking that in advance. <BR><BR>You could take a morning ferry to Visby and arrive around noon (or earlier - we took a 6 a.m. ferry and were there by 9 a.m.). Spend much of that day wandering Visby. Next day, rent a car and roam the island for a few hours. Return the car and catch an afternoon ferry back to the mainland. <BR><BR>Given that you're otherwise spending your time in Sweden's larger cities, you'll likely really enjoy a break from that by adding in the two days in Visby.<BR><BR>Here's a link to a page about Visby from the Swedish national tourist site:<BR><BR>http://www.visit-sweden.com/gb/article.asp?show=a&amp;articleID=5933<BR><BR>Whate ver you decide, have fun!<BR>
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 10:30 AM
JVS
Original Poster

BTilke: What else can you recommend in Uppsala? I apprecited your restaurant rec. Will be staying with family there, so will not need hotel accommodations.