First trip to Rome with child!!!!!

Apr 12th, 2002, 04:18 PM
Ayla

First trip to Rome with child!!!!!

My husband and I are travelling for the first time to Rome. Our 3 year old daughter will be travelling with us. We will be in Rome for 2 1/2 days at a hotel on Via Nazionale. I have the following questions.

- Does anyone know anything about the Hotel Liberte or Hotel Luce?

- Do you know of any reasonably priced family restaurants or trattorie in that area?

- Do you know where we might be able to buy milk etc for our daughter (i.e. a grocery store)?

- Is there any place that children are NOT welcome?

Finally, what is the expected weather in May???

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Ayla-

Apr 12th, 2002, 06:21 PM
Shannon

Italians LOVE children. There isn't anyplace they are unwanted that I saw (we took our son when he was 13 months).
We stayed at the Hotel Trevi, right across from the Trevi fountain. There was a little store right by it that sold milk and other things she would like, including a lovely stuffed bell pepper (ground meat, rice in a tomato sauce), and bananas. There was also a pharmacy on the other side of the fountain to get baby food (although you won't need that). Most areas will have all of these type places and more. Don't forget to go to one of the toy shops and get her a Pinnochio!

Apr 12th, 2002, 07:26 PM
pat

we were in rome in august with 4 children 10, 8, 4 and 21 months. there is no problem finding things you will neen, it,s a big city. they do love kids as most european cities do. enjoy have a gelato and there are really good restaurants everywhere.

Apr 13th, 2002, 04:27 AM
Helen Donegan

Hi Ayla
I wrote a piece on bring children to Italy for the April edition of my ezine - it may be of some interest to you:
http://www.italywithus.com/ezine/042002/april02_1.htm

Apr 13th, 2002, 04:43 AM
JimF

Ayla - There is a good little family restaurant that caters to locals just off the Via Nazionale on Via Venezia. It is simply named "Ristorante Trattoria" and is on the left side of the street across from the Hotel Pensione Italia. Via Venezia is only about 40 meters long so you cannot miss it. I have eaten there 5 or 6 times and enjoy the family atmosphere. The spinach is incredible.

Apr 15th, 2002, 07:13 PM
Dan

Ayla:

My wife and I traveled to Rome with our then 3 1/2 year old daughter two summers ago. Ditto on the above regarding attitudes towards children - Italians adore them and they are welcome anywhere. Your child will eat up all the attention that the locals will give. A couple of notes to keep in mind. First Italians eat dinner late - restaurants don't open until 7:00 pm at the earliest. Since most American children are accustomed to eating earlier a good mid afternoon snack is essential. We often had dessert for snack since by the time arrived to order dessert after dinner our little one was about to crash. Also I don't recall any "childrens' menus" - we usually just ordered several dishes and shared around. Second the cobblestone walks and streets are tough for strollers, I preferred just to carry her around when she got too tired to walk - and you will do a lot of walking in Rome. We used cabs to go longer distances. Schedule some rest time too each day as they don't have the stamina for sightseeing as adults do (do as the Romans do and take a mid afternoon riposo), and allow some plain old play time in a piazza or park - we especially liked Villa Borghese. Not familiar with your hotels or restaurants in your area. I would think the weather in May would be very nice. It's a great city - you'll have great fun.

Buon Viaggio!

Dan

May 29th, 2002, 04:21 PM
ukexpat

topping.

May 29th, 2002, 04:23 PM
StCirq

Agree with all the previous posters. Italians make traveling in their country with children a breeze. You will probably be showered with more attention than you even want. Enjoy!

May 29th, 2002, 05:25 PM
Deepa

I had posted a report on our trip with our daughter, about 8 monhts ago. Do a search. Keep track of the closing time for stores and days of the week when they are closed. Have fun.

May 31st, 2002, 05:53 AM
Summer

Ayla
Four years ago we went to Rome and Amalfi with 2y.o. triplets (boys).
We went to visit a very sick grandfather in Naples and then traveled and (attempted) to enjoy the sights of Rome and Amalfi.
Everyone in Italy was WONDERFUL --- but the "boys" were little terror's !!!!
The Italians thought that everything they did was cute and or funny ---believe me--- mommy and daddy did not think everything was cute or funny!!!
They all had been potty trained when we left NY and somewhere over Rome they all decided to revert back to diapers!

And during the flight home they all decided that they didn't like diapers anymore wanted "big boy pants".
They all got Strep throat while in Rome------with vomiting and the whole nine yards. Then they all got diarrhea in Amafi--I was grateful for the diapers when this started!!!!

On the way back to Rome I wanted to
"jump" from the moving train --- but my husband wouldn't let me!!!!!

We would NEVER have brought (3) two year olds on a vacation --- but the grandfather wanted to see them before he died and thankfully we arrived 3 days before he died. So, all in all, for his sake it was worth it.

I have 2 sisters --- one has 2 sets of twin and one has triplets and I am a twin --- they all thought I was, either out of my mind, or (most certainly) would become deranged while on the trip --- the latter came true.
Everyone says that "one day" I'll look back on this and laugh!!! The boys are
now 6 and they have twin sisters who are 3 years old ---- all our vacations are,currently, in the USA!

Someday, we will take the whole family
back to Italy and have a wonderful vacation ----

May 31st, 2002, 06:06 AM
katherine

Boy oh boy Summer I'm surprised that you can still walk and talk ! I would have been in therapy for a long, long time after that trip !

I'm sure that your family and friends are right when they say that someday you laugh about all of the "adventures"
with your triplets. It will be a good story to tell, their girlfriends, when they are dating.

Be sure to take everyone back to Italy - in about 6 or 7 years.

PS I'll NEVER conplain about taking 2 children (anywhere) ever again !

Jun 1st, 2002, 06:01 PM
ttt

ttt for Ayla