Rome Restaurants forChildren

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a group of 10 of which four are children ages 18 months to 10 years. I'm looking for restaurants that the children would enjoy along with adults. Any suggestions would be helpful. Our travel time is July 24 to August 7. Thank You
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 01:54 PM

We were in Rome with our kids when they were about 10 and 12...we even had dinner at the Cavialeri Hilton (that's not the right spelling) and they were well accommodated. That said, they weren't 18 months old! I did find, in general, the Italian restaurants worked well for kids - they like pizza, pasta, gelato, Orangina soda, etc. Italians are very friendly and relaxed. Often you can eat outside, often adjacent to a piazza where they may even be able to move around a bit while you're waiting on your dinner. There are also numerous places (I can't remember what they are called) where you can pick up stuff to take out and then you can eat perched by a fountain or whatever. Just realize Rome will be VERY hot!!!
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 02:18 PM

I haven't eaten there myself, but I've seen "Der Pallaro" (Largo del Pallaro at Via dei Chiavari, very close to Campo de Fiori) recommended for families with children. It's three courses for, I think, 20 Euro. Family-run, plain Roman home cooking. It's closed for two weeks in August; my guidebook does not say whether the first two or the last two weeks.
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 02:57 PM

You might also consider picnicking, if where you are staying makes it at all possible.

Very near Piazza Navona, at the corner of Via dei Portoghesi and Via dell'Orso (or della Scrofa; I tend not to look at street names...) there is a tiny hole-in-the-wall called Il Fornaio where you can buy various kinds of panini (sandwiches made from something rather like pizza dough, slit open) and pizza as well as pastries to take out for next to nothing. Kitty-corner away from Il Fornaio on Via dei Portoghesi, there is Il Vinaio, where you can buy wine for the adults in the group for next to nothing. Take it all "home" and have an easy-going and inexpensive dinner.

If you would like the gourmet version of that, on Via della Scrofa there is a high-end delicatessen called Volpetti, where you can also get the fixings for an excellent picnic.
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

What great ideas. Thank you so much. I have been to Rome several times but this is the first with my grandchildren.
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 04:13 PM

Having just returned from Rome the restaurant that I thought seemed the most family friendly was Insalata Ricci, 85 Largo dei Chiavani. There were many Italian families in there with kids and babies of all ages (including sleeping in strollers) and they were being accomodated cheerfully. The food was very good, and reasonably priced. Apparently it is a small chain - but it didn't feel like a chain at all - and so they might be in another location as well. This one is just east of Campo de Fiori off Corso Vittorio Emanuele. We were thankful for the good air conditioning in there!
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 04:17 PM

If you're looking fun a fun meal with good food, try L'Orso 80 just north of Piazza Navonna. They were extremely accomodating to my children when we travelled there.
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 04:45 PM

As the previous poster suggested, try for branches of Insalata Ricca. As well as the aforementioned Campo de fiori branch, there's one just off Piazza Navona, another close to Vatican Museum (a very welcome stop--Piazza del Risorgimento, I think), and several others. They have pizza, of course, the usual pastas, big delicious salads, and the standard main dishes, very well made. Also, with a large group, your bills are going to be horrendous, and L'insalata ricca's are reasonably priced. Stay away from Via Veneto tourist traps!
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 05:54 PM

I recall a few years ago, we would have lunch at Insalata Ricci every other day (the one off of Corso Vittorio Emmanuel), the price for a primi, secondi, contorno, bread and dolci was something like the equivalent of $10-12. I think the restrooms there were uncommonly (for Italy) large and child-friendly.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank all of you. This is a great help for the grandkids and probably my pocket book!