Search

sweaters in Scotland? (or coats)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2006, 06:07 AM
DDA
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sweaters in Scotland? (or coats)

We will be in Edinburgh and St Andrews mid September. I have been checking the daily temperatures, but that does not tell me what sort of clothes to pack. Will mid September in Scotland translate to fall clothes--or more toward winter? Thanks for any help.
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 06:30 AM

Fall clothes will suffice, but make sure to layer (tank/T-shirt, long-sleeved shirt/sweater). Definitely have a waterproof coat and/or umbrella. Scarves for women are a great fashionable accessory that keeps your neck warm.
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 06:31 AM

Fall clothes should be fine. I would doubt that the temperature will drop very low. Pack for layers as there is always the chance of a mild September!
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 06:45 AM

I would take a mildly heavy jacket. You can get very cold temps in September and coupled with the wind....it can be uncomfortable.
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 02:01 AM

It was 24 degrees here yesterday and it's 10 today. Come prepared for anything; and layer, layer, layer.
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 02:41 AM

I second the advice about layering. I've travelled a lot in Scotland over several years, generally in very early October.

You can be very lucky with glorious sunshine but I have never been as cold as I was at Edinburgh Castle. The wind chill factor can be severe.

I would recommend a mid weight jacket, plus layers. I think any transition season can be very unreliable and it's also amazing how fast the weather changes even in a few weeks.I'd take the jacket even if you have to carry it as it's definately worth the comfort!
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 03:54 AM

We were in Edinburgh May 24 this year, one day I was in a t-shirt, the next I was walking around the castle freezing in the pouring rain.
Take a waterproof hooded jacket since of course my slight umbrella turned inside out!
My husband took his leather winter jacket with zip out lining for the trip and I envied him the whole time. Wished I'd had my leather gloves on the firth too.
Comfortable boots are cool looking and a great addition. Could have used them at Roslyn Chapel ( half hr south of Edinburgh) where the cold of the stone floor came through the bottom of my leather shoes!
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 04:00 AM

DDA
This is a perfect reason to buy a good Scotland sweater. You were wondering what to bring back home.

Have a look at these sweaters.

http://www.inverallanhandknitters.co.uk/

I'm drooling wanting to have one myself.

Blackduff
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 07:45 AM

RAINCOAT. UMBRELLA. WATERPROOF SHOES.

It probably won;t be cold enough for a winter coat but do bring lots of layering options. We were there once in July (it had been almost 90 in London 4 days before) and it was in the high 40's, raining and windy. I wore one of everything I had (tee shirt, long-sleeve blouse, sweater and raincoat).

Many of the locals had hats and gloves - and didn't seem surprised by the weather.
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 08:35 AM

I've travelled in Scotland for 10 weeks over various Augusts/Septembers. I always bring a mid weight fleece and a goretex rain shell, which I wear either singly or together. I usually bring some cardigan sweaters as well.