Reload this Page >

Sundays in London

Search

Sundays in London

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 10:39 AM
Lori

Sundays in London

I only have three days in London befor heading onto Norway and one of those days is a Sunday. I know that most of the theaters are dark, most stores are closed, etc. on Sundays. Any suggestions on what I can do for sightseeing on that day (early September)? <BR><BR>Is Windsor Castle open on Sundays? <BR><BR>Thanks for suggestions!

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Ellen

Actually most stores are open on Suday, except Harrod's.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 10:51 AM
x

Here's what we did on a Sunday last month:<BR><BR>We took a bus tour from the Marble Arch at Hyde Park (The Original London or the Big Bus tours both start there). You can get on and off the bus at the many stops (we got off only at the Tower of London).<BR><BR>We finished up back at the Marble Arch and mingled with the crowds and speakers (Sundays only) at Speaker's Corner in Hyde Park. Then a long walk through the park.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 10:52 AM
Ben Haines

About a dozen theatres are open, and the concert halls are all open. So are such places at the Tower, and the great museums.<BR><BR>Welcome to London<BR><BR>Ben Haines

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 11:36 AM
janis

Just about all tourist attractions are open on Sundays - but tend to be more crowded since that is a big "day out" for locals as well as foreign tourists. For instance - the Tower is just about hopeless on a Sunday - twice as many visitors as most other days of the week.<BR><BR>Many shops are open - but not things like antiques dealers, antiquarian book sellers, high end designers and boutiques and Harrods.<BR><BR>Speakers' Corner is sometimes fun and you can then walk along the Bayswater rd side of Hyde Park and see hundreds of artisis. Some have really cheesy tourist trap things and some are REALLY good. Every medium is represented.<BR><BR>Lunch is the main meal on Sundays so some restaurants have modified hours.<BR><BR>A few west end theatres have Sunday matinees - but just about every concert hall will have something going.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 11:41 AM
Mel

Don't forget Covent Garden on Sunday! Okay, the market stalls that are open on Saturday aren't all open, but there are buskers and tea shops--great people-watching. <BR><BR>Then walk from Covent Garden through Leicester Square and into Piccadilly--it's an interesting walk to get a feel for busy London.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 11:49 AM
elaine

If it interests you, think of visiting Spencer House which is only open Sundays. It was one of the highlights of my (repeat) London visit a couple of months ago. It was for centuries the home of the Spencer family (Princess Di's family) but the family hasn't lived in it for more than 60 years. It has been gorgeously restored to 18th century decor, and is in my opinion a small palace. Just wonderful, if rooms and furniture and paintings are your thing. You go through by guided tour only, takes about 90 minutes. 27 St James's Place, tube Green Park.<BR>Opens at 10:30 am, as the day goes on, you have to wait for a tour.<BR>Closed entirely in August.<BR><BR>www.spencerhouse.co.uk/tourist.htm<BR>

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 01:54 PM
Lori

You guys are great! Thanks for the prompt responses. A few friends just came back and were complaining that nothing was open on Sundays. I guess they just weren't paying attention to all that is available on Sundays.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 02:37 PM
Sue

Victoria and Albert Museum is open.