Summer time dress

Search

Summer time dress

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Summer time dress

We will be traveling in August to Germany, Austria, and Switzerland. I have no idea what type of clothes I will need to pack. I know that I don't want to stand out as a silly American tourist, but I also want to be comfortable as we will be doing a lot of walking and some hiking.

Are shorts okay? What about sneakers/hiking boots? Does anyone have suggestions for practical shoes that look good, too?

Thanks so much for your help.

Jessica
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 09:29 AM

Everybody in Switzerland is walking around in hiking boots, practically (maybe they are Germans, too, on holiday, you just seem them in the train stations with their boots and packs). So they would be fine if you need them.

Shorts are okay, Germans seem to wear them a lot IMO (even when maybe they shouldn't), but it may not be that hot where you are. YOu never know, but I'd sure take some when going in August.

There have many many threads on here about shoes, just go to a good shoe store and try some on, those expensive comfort brand types, I'm sure you know them (Ecco, Mephisto, Dansko, etc.). I think any of the popular "sneaker-type" shoes (which are not the kind a lot of American tourists wear that are these big white things with laces) are comfortable and what many European tourists wear (eg, Adidas, the low kind).
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 09:42 AM

When hiking you don't want to look stylish but have functional clothes and shoes. Weather can change rapidly in the mountains, so long hiking pants (lightweight, zip-off) and over-the-ankle boots should be mandatory. Also a very light gore-tex jacket is a good idea if you get into a rain shower.
Down in the valley, cities, and towns, the locals dress as silly as can, so you will have a hard time trying to stand out - at least in Germany

P.S: We don't care. Really. Not one bit.
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 09:49 AM

We Germans are practical people and wear what is suitable for current weather conditions. You will see a lot of outdoor gear in cities, too, because it is comfortable and useful. High heels on mountain tracks will get stares and laughs, but hiking boots in cities will not.

Wear what you feel happy and comfortable with. In the daytime casual wear is all right, also in pubs etc. Flipflops (the cheap plastic things) are not considered shoes. Otherwise, anything goes.
Upscale restaurants, concert and theater visits require better clothing, though.

Bring clothes that can be combined in layers, and have a rain jacket and/or umbrella. Unfortunately we cannot guarantee you warm sunny weather all the time.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 10:45 AM

I only have experience with Germany and Austria, but I agree with what the others have said. Dress for the weather and your activities. People there are very practical. Even in Munich, we noticed that most people wandering around town were dressed fairly casually and practically. Not nearly as many women in high heels as at home and when the weather heated up, shorts and capris (men and women) and casual skirts (thankfully only the women) were quite common.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 11:06 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I only know Switzerland but it can be very hot there in the summer, just depends. I wore comfortable sandals or sneakers. Capris and tops/t-shirts/blouse mostly. Yes I did have a couple pair of knee length shorts as well.

My friends in Switzerland (french-speaking region) make fun of the German tourists at length, because of the way they dress... shorts, socks, sandals.

Long story short, it really doesn't matter. Just make sure your shoes aren't brand new, and that you can walk walk walk in them!
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 11:20 AM

for women, I think twinsets are a good choice.
I have had this one, in purple, for 3 years and have worn it time and time again. It is perfect for travel.

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/v...th-Ribbed-Trim
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 11:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everybody in Switzerland is walking around in hiking boots.

Ummmm... only when hiking. Otherwise, we have walking shoes, tennis shoes or sandals. Lots of thongs around as well.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 12:22 PM

Shorts are fine in Switzerland and Germany - no experience with Austria, but I can't imagine it is very different. Unless you have reservations that specifically require anything nicer, I would think you are okay with just jeans, khakis, or casual skirts/dresses for most nighttime activities and restaurants.

I would also bring some sort of rain gear. Not necessarily a full kit, but a nice lightweight, waterproof jacket can come in handy during August.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 03:22 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm not a hiker and I never saw anyone walking around in Switzerland in hiking boots (in Vevey, Montreux, that general area)! White sneakers yes.

I guess it depends where exactly you are heading and the weather in a given year but when I was in Lac Leman region 4 different trips in summer-time, twin set sweaters or rain gear would have been WAY too hot. I do agree about a very lightweight waterproof jacket or even an umbrella.