Summer Camp for 16 year old

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for a summer camp in Spain for my daughter who will be 16 in the summer of 2013. She will have completed AP Spanish in high school and is good at conversation. I am not looking for a camp or program to learn Spanish but a regular camp that Spansh teens attend for the summer. We are not wedded to any particular area in Spain. Ideas?
Old May 29th, 2012, 04:59 PM

Spain in the summer is incredibly hot - with temps of more than 100 degrees in much of the country. The only area I would even consider is the Atlantic coast - near San Sebastian.

Separately, I don;t know if camp is something that a 16 year old in Spain would do. They may - or they may be more likely to be traveling to other parts of europe with school groups or groups of friends.

I would google in the San Sebastian area to see what is available.
Old May 29th, 2012, 05:46 PM

I have two young adult "kids" that attended Spanish programs in the summer in Spain in recent years. At the beginning , like you, I was looking for something that was a combination of a "summer camp" and Spanish instruction. The only one I found was Enforex and I read many mixed reports/ comments about it, so I decided against it. They have camps for teenagers in areas like Salamanca, Madrid, Marbella. Spanish teens also attend these programs and they attend English classes during instruction time.

Eventually we settled for a more academic program which also included sightseeing, cultural exposure, and in one case also included living with a family.One of them was with TASIS (in Salamanca and Torremolinos), and the other organized through Choate, a school in Connecticut (in Santander and La Coruña in northern Spain. On this one my son stayed with a Spanish family).
Old May 29th, 2012, 05:49 PM

The YMCA has a CIT training program near Huesca, I think, as well as other places in Spain. They also offer adventure camp .Most organized summer camps in Spain do offer English support for the campers as well as sports. In fact, many of them boast native English speaking counselors.

The good news is that the kids who go there are Spanish.. but depending on the camp they may be obligated to immerse in English as much as possible if it is more of a language camp. You will need to ask some pertinent questions to the directors to make sure the camp you choose is NOT that type.

I also suggest the North to hopefully escape some of the heat of the summer.

Is she interested in any particular sport? Perhaps then a sailing or riding camp ( for example) would fit her liking better.

I have sent students to many camps, but they do have a language session part of the day in German, French, Spanish or English.
Old May 29th, 2012, 05:56 PM

Like cruiseluv said, you also have the immersion programs with an organization. I have a girl from Alaska coming over in June for that for two weeks. She later attends a short music camp here in the city. That is another option, but it is not "camp"!
Old May 29th, 2012, 06:08 PM

You might look at music or art programs as well...sorry I don't have any specific suggestions, though.
Old May 29th, 2012, 06:50 PM

Salamanca is a lovely and very safe town. Adult daughter is finishing 1 year study there and I have been over to see her 2 times for nearly a month each time. Was impressed with the city, people and general sense of being safe as I roamed around alone. If you are interested in sending her to something there..
Old May 29th, 2012, 06:54 PM

There are many academic or sports themed learning centers - not sure about a "camp". And in the US the 16 year olds are often not campers but employees.