Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can anyone recommend a Spanish language school in Spain?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to study Spanish for a month somewhere in Spain other than in Madrid, as I studied there in 2000.

I know there are a zillion schools, but I'm interested in one which has some older students--since I'm in what the Spaniards call "the third age." That's a lovely way of saying that I am collecting Social Security, though I'm sorry to say it's only $99 a month in my case.

I prefer to live in a student residence, as long as there are other older students. I don't care to live with a family.

Does anyone know of a school such as I describe? I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 01:18 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
My daughter's high school Spanish teacher always used Enforex in Salamanca. She thought that area had the purest dialect and liked the quality of classes. She would usually take a group for three weeks every summer. The classes aren't limited to high school students.
http://www.enforex.com/courses-spain.html
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 03:53 AM

Totally agree that Salamanca is a great place to go to learn Spanish.

It is a very beautiful city, a very manageable-sized city centre for strolling round and getting to classes in - but it is close to Madrid and Segovia by train or bus for a break away.

The university does lots of summer-school courses, and can arrange accommodation.

They are very flexible about the length of courses. Some people go for the whole summer, but I did a week's intermediate course there (a long time ago, I admit) and they found me a room in a shared house (with people from all over the world).

There were plenty of older people there, but of course, the majority were younger.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 06:21 AM

Hi pegontheroad,

My son spent month last summer taking courses at Universidad Internacional Menendez Pelayo ( known as UIMP) in Santander (Northern Spain). He was in HS at the time but said there were some older students. They offer Spanish courses for foreigners not only in the Summer but throughout the year . I believe that during the summer they would get mostly young students but during the rest of the year it's probably a more varied mix.

My son stayed with a family but students there also have the option of staying at the students' residence on campus.

Santander is a great city, with a beautiful bay and beach. It's situated in a great spot for touring the North of Spain during your free time. I have been to Santander and surrounding areas 3 times and would love to go back ( and so does my son!).

Check it out at www.uimp.es They have an english option at the website. I would suggest you send them an e-mail and ask them what kind of mix of students do they get.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 06:41 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Peg - Enforex has an "Over 50" class that might be what you are looking for.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I'll check out these schools. I really appreciate this insider info, as trying to figure out where to go by looking at websites is very time-consuming and confusing.