summer abroad in cambridge

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this summer I am going to cambridge, UK for four weeks of study at the university. I will be given the opportunity to be able to eat out for lunch almost everyday. are there any good lunch spots in cambridge that are worth going too, are quick, or are relatively inexpensive? thanks a lot
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 04:33 PM
vcl

Lunch out can be expensive. Your best bet might be to grab a sandwich and a cold drink at Marks and Spencer or Sainsbury's and picnic along the Backs. There are casual dining places grouped around the plaza just to the right of Magdalene Bridge as you head toward that college. We've eaten frequently at Henri's for the view; food is reliable but service is glacial. In good weather, many of the restaurants have outdoor tables. A little further along the the boardwalk that edges the Cam, there's a lovely looking pub that served decent food years ago but has obviously changed hands since we were Cambridge students.
We still go back every couple of years to renew our T-shirt collection in the market.
Try the Italian ice from the restaurant at the edge of the Market Square. I remember it as the best I ever tasted. And take enough time off from studying to go out to the American Cemetery at Madingley, about three miles west of town. It's an amazing experience.
Enjoy your summer experience.

Old Jun 17th, 2004, 05:51 PM
ira

Hi r,

A colleague of mine (5'6" weight 110 lb) became a favorite of his faculty advisor and was invited out for lunch three times a week at a local pub.

Lunch consisted of a couple of pints of bitters.

At the end of two years he weighed 185 lb.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 06:28 PM

My daughter is only 12, but dreams of going to Cambridge some day either for college or some sort of study abroad program. May I ask what program or school this is in connection with? It's never too soon to start asking questions... Thanks and have a great summer in Cambridge. (Sorry I haven't been there, so don't have lunch tips.)
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 09:12 PM

The University of Cambridge International Summer Schools are offered each summer. They are open to anyone wishing to study there in programs varying from 2 to 4 weeks. You could go with your daughter when she is older! Here's a link: http://www.cont-ed.cam.ac.uk/IntSummer/

I'm studying at Cambridge this summer too; my program is a special program arranged by Cambridge with my home university, the University of Florida.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 09:58 PM

I'm jealous! I attended the Cambridge Summer School last year (Shakespeare program) and it was wonderful. I wish I could go every year!

As far as lunch, it depends on how much time you have and where your classes are. Most of the classes last year were in the Sidgwick site and in the vicinity of Selwyn College, which are both west of the city center and the river Cam. We usually had about 2 to 3 hours for lunch so that should give you enough time to walk to the city center for lunch. For really quick meals, you can pick up sandwiches from various grocery stores as the previous post suggested. There are also many of the familiar fast food places close to the city center such as McDonalds and Burger King. For more leisurely lunches (which you may have time for), there are many pubs that serve food. One of my favorite places was a Chinese noodle place across the street from the tourist info center on Wheeler Street.

And on days you don't want to wander too far for lunch, the Sidgwick site has a well-stocked snack bar with hot and cold sandwiches. Another nice option was the Selwyn College dining hall. For lunch, they serve full lunches (buffet/cafeteria style) with lots of choices from salads to roast beef and at reasonable prices! And you get to eat in the Selywn
main dining hall, which is the grand, long-wooden-table dining halls they have at every college at Cambridge. That was just one of the many delightful surprises of the program--getting to eat our breakfasts and suppers in such a wonderful setting. I stayed at Clare College and we always referred to it as dining at Hogwarts!

You'll probably try a lot of different places for lunch the first week there, then you'll find your favorites. That was one of the joys of being there for such a long period of time--wandering the streets and finding your own special places. Have a great time!
(And don't forget to go to each of the many bookstores in town!0
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 11:41 PM

I studied in Cambridge for four years as an engineering undergraduate. There are countless places for quick, cheap food, loads of pubs around, most of them serve lunch for around 5GBP, and the obligatory fast food dens (McD, BK etc).

The Anchor is a great place to start your Cambridge education. It overlooks the river down by Queens' College, in a spot particularly fun for watching amateur punting taking place. They serve plenty of good, hearty English fayre along with a fair selection of beer and wine to help it down.

For quick sandwiches etc which you can take to one of the many green spaces in the city, try Nadia's or Sam Smileys for some enormous baps...!

For a more elegant lunch opportunity, I'd recommend Henry's, again on the river, up by Magdalene College. Expect around 10GBP per head but a very pleasant relaxed atmosphere.

If you're in the vicinity of the Fitzwilliam Museum (worth a visit, definitely), then try Browns. It's a slightly higher class establishment with an enjoyable colonial atmoshpere. Expect around 15GBP per head.

In the city centre you've got Cafe Rouge (a French chain restaurant) which is usually quite quiet and well attended by friendly waiters/waitresses. Around 6 to 10GBP per head.

Pizza Express (which is NOT a fast food restaurant, an unfortunately misleading name) is near the main bus station in town and serves a rich selection of well-made pizza, from 6 to 12GBP.

There are numerous other choices, if you had anything more specific in mind, then do let me know!

All the best

Jimbo
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

thank you all very much for the recommendations. I'm staying at the New Hall college, so hopefully these places will be within reasonable walking distance. I only get an hour for lunch!!!
Also, for Carmen, I am going to Cambridge on the Summer Discovery program run by Musiker. This is my first summer with them, and I've heard a lot of good things. My neighbor did the same program last year and she loved it. Their website is www.summerfun.com. They also run jr. discovery programs for kids around your daughter's age.
Keep posting! Any suggestion is a good suggestion!
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 05:55 AM

ttt
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 06:04 AM

Could the Cambridge experts advise on how many of these suggestions it's feasible to get to, eat at and get back from in an hour if you're out at New Hall?

I'd have thought, radiohead, if the college isn't feeding you, and is giving you only an hour, you'll need to stock up at M+S.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 06:18 AM

lubeltri and radiohead81: Thanks so much for the information. I will share the information with my daughter (who is also a Shakespeare nut). Maybe it will motivate her to work hard(er) in school! Her brother is in Germany for the second summer in a row, and she's feeling a bit left out. And I love the idea of going with her!!
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 06:32 AM
Egg

I hope that the poor student was drinking pints of bitter. I should think that you would need a lot of gin to go with two pints of bitters.

Old Jun 18th, 2004, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

To flanneruk:

What is M+S?
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 06:53 AM

Carmen, if you do some searches on the web for "studying abroad", you should find lots of information on programs. I have been looking into it recently. A good website is www.studyabroad.com, which has links to programs or countries that your daughter may be interested in.

Good luck!
Tracy
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 07:59 AM

Thanks Tracy, nice tip!
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 08:16 AM

M+S is Marks & Spencer's, a grocery store on the ground floor and a department store on the upper floors. It is right on the market square in the city center so it's convenient, but a bit pricey. Sainsbury is another grocery store that is bit north (?) of the market square; that is where I stocked up on snacks, fruit, water, etc...bigger selection and less expensive.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

thanks again for the suggestions.

Also, approximately how far is the Quayside area from New Hall college in walking distance? I've also heard about this sushi place there called "Teri-Aki" and has gotten mixed reviews on various websites. Is it really any good and will it kill my budget? Thanks a lot
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

thanks to everyone who posted and gave me advice. even though ive been home from that program for four months now, i still appreciate everyone's advice. kudos to vcl who suggested going to the American Cemetery. It was amazing. also, thanks to Jimbo who suggested Nadia's, and to the various people who suggested M+S. I also found lots of other places while I was there, such as Bells on Castle Street, Bridges (about a block south of Quayside), Peppercorn's (located in the Crescent), EAT. (located just outside the Lion Yard), and for dinner, The Cambridge Curry House, also on Castle Street. Thanks again to everyone who responded!