Suggestions for teens in Italy

Old May 9th, 2003, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions for teens in Italy

We will be traveling with our 3 children and two other families the last two weeks in July. Will be based in Tuscany for a week and hit Venice (3 days) and Rome (4 days) Would love any "to do" or "not to do" suggestions. Thanks for any help. This is a great board and I have been lurking for months while making plans.
Old May 9th, 2003, 11:35 AM

initaly.com has some good stuff about traveling with kids--check it out.
Old May 9th, 2003, 12:04 PM

We traveled with our kids to Rome/Florence/Venice this past February. They are 12 and 15. My kids loved both Rome and Venice. Venice is easy; just let them wander and try to figure out how to get from point A to point B, it is a lot of fun just walking around. My kids also loved St. Marks Basilica and the Doges Palace Tour. San Ruocco(?) was also a hit. In Rome, they loved St. Peter's, the Colosseum, the Forum, all of the beautiful churches, Piazza Navonna, and most of all, the pizza! Have fun!
Old May 9th, 2003, 12:32 PM

Rome's gelato is better overall than Venice's, (not that I've ever met a gelato I didn't like) so have as much as you can there.
Imo the very best one of the ones I?ve tried is Della Palma, Via della Maddalena 20/23, near the Pantheon.

I have files on Venice and Rome; if you'd like to see them, email me at
[email protected]
Old May 9th, 2003, 12:37 PM

We took our two teenagers to Rome last August. They liked the walking tour of Rome at Night with Eden(?) tours. Also enjoyed the tour of St Peter's with the same firm. Campo DiFiori was a hit,any gelatto spot, filling water bottles from the fountains was cool to them. Collosseum was very cool since they'd both studied ancient history in the past year or two. We did a lot of walking and just looking around.
Old May 15th, 2003, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to all for their responses. I find this board invaluable in planning our trip. Any more recommendations welcome.
Old May 15th, 2003, 06:12 AM

Was in Italy last summer with three boys, two of whom are teenagers. They liked to go out at night and "hang out" in the plazas and people watch. Also the shopping was a big hit. Diesel has a great store there (if they are into that). We took a side trip to Marenello (sp) to see the Ferraris! Absolutely these were boys.
Old May 17th, 2003, 03:33 PM

Venice: Buy the 3 day vaporetti ticket and wear it out. They should check out the more or less abandoned ship yard at the arsenal. The Italian navy still has an active base there, but much of it has been turned over to the art scene. Nothing fancy, mostly experimental, cutting edge stuff and youth displaying a lot of talent and energy. Hard to say what will be cooking on any particular day. Other than that, the Cannereggio (more or less in the area near the train depot is where they will find their counterparts in greatest numbers.

Rome: Send them on their own to the Spanish Steps. If they love you a lot they may come back. For sure, they will run into youth from every part of the globe. The best part of travel is education. Interacting with their peers from around the world fills the bill. Lucky them.