Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice/Rome What's your favorite square to take it all in at?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Besides St.Marks and St Peters...
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 11:02 PM

For me - In Rome, since it was afew blocks from the the apartment I rented, Piazza Navona, especially in the early morning or later in the evening.

For Venice, there was jus a magical feel to Campo San Stefeno. Just such a 'local' feel.

Tom
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 08:17 AM

In Rome, I liked Piazza Navona - probably because our son was so "up" on the fountain of the four rivers (from reading Angels and Demons) and could tell us what everything was.) I also liked sitting in front of the Pantheon eating terrific gelato.

In Venice, we enjoyed the piazza by S.S. Giovanni e Paulo, but not because it was so grand. It was cool because we were there in the afternoon after school was out, so it was filled with kids playing, their moms chatting on benches, etc. It was a rare slice of "real life" in Venice.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 10:19 AM

I didn't get to enjoy Venice since we were on a rushed tour with Globus so I can't name a favorite square, but for Rome my favorite square is Piazza Navona.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 11:49 AM

I don't have recs because I really enjoy the smaller piazze and campos that I just "happen upon" in the course of my walks, and I tend to forget their names.

I do like the ones mentioned above, as well as Piazza del Popolo in Rome for people-watching, Piazza Santa Maria in Trastevere for the same, and Campo Santa Margerhita in Venice--also for people watching, especially at night. Campo San Barnaba in Venice. Piazza San Salvatore in Lauro in Rome because it's a little oasis in the4 hubbub. My sister and I stopped for a cold drink at a cafe there and suddenly there was a thunderstorm and we got stuck for over an hour. Wonderful.

Oh, Campo dei Fiori. Piazza di Sant' Eustachio (sp?) in Rome as well. Good cafe and a nice little restaurant, too.

And how could I forget the piazza in Venice in Canareggio where the synagogue is? Peaceful and lovely.

I could go on and on, but you get the idea. Have a wonderful trip!

Old Sep 14th, 2006, 11:57 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
In Rome, walk up Michelangelo's stairs to the top of the Capitoline hill, then walk to the right of the Senate building and take in the view over the Forum toward the Colosseum.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the replies.

I leave for Europe in 3 days.
Holland and Italy for 21 days

I have done just about everything I need to do. (hopefully)
I have repacked several times, each time taking away items.
I have copies of everything, international collect numbers for credit/debt cards, prepaid vouchers for museums, tours ect., addresses,confirmations, and all travel documents. I have reconfirmed our air tickets.

I really wish I didnt have to work these next few days. It is so hard to really concentrate and to really even care

Cant wait to see what getting through security will be like with all the restictions. We are taking carry-on only. We arent bringing anything that is on the TSA restricted list. I hope it all goes smoothly. Praise the Lord I rarely have any issues when traveling.

I am at the really pumped up stage where I am not really hunger or tired. I need to take a chill pill

Thanks to everyone who has answered endless questions as I planned this trip. My sister is going for her first time. I cant wait for her to experience
all that is Europe..
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 05:46 PM

In Roma, piazza delle Rotunda.

In Venezia, piazza San Marco, especially when empty.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 06:24 PM

me,too,Piazza della Rotonda.I just love it!
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 07:54 PM

Count me in also for Piazza della Rotunda in Rome. If you are standing with your back to the Pantheon, to the right is a cafe. I love to get a table outside under the umbrellas and watch the world go by. Wish I was there now...

Johanna
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 02:12 AM
rex

Thousands of schoolmarm English teachers are turning over in their graves, over a question with a _double_ dangling preposition!

I hear them muttering from beneath their headstones...

"What is your favorite square in Venice or Rome, where you have enjoyed taking in the view?"

That one, I can diagram, at least! LOL...

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 03:25 AM

Hi JandaO, if you haven't already done so do call the financial institutions that you have your credit and debit cards with to advise them as to the dates you will be in Holland (The Netherlands) and Italy so they do not block your various cards when you go to use them in Europe.

Regarding Piazza's, I guess my favorite in Rome is the Piazza della Rotunda. In Venice it is a small piazza in San Palo (across the Rialto Bridge). I can't remember the name of it but it has more of a local flavor. Actually I love all of the piazza's in Italy. It is so much fun and so relaxing to sit at an outdoor cafe and have some kind of a drink, a meal sometimes, while soaking in the atmosphere. Have a beautiful trip!!
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 03:36 PM

TTT
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 09:20 PM

At least once while in Rome get up really early and visit the Trevi Fountain at 4am. Magnificent !!! I bet you will rise early again for this or other usually crowded places.
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 04:42 AM

In Rome, we stayed in Trastevere, and spent our evenings at the piazza there. Is it Santa Maria? I have a cold and am not thinking very clearly but it was a very lively gathering place for locals (it seemed) and we really enjoyed it!
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

loveitaly,
yes my sister and I both have called and told them that the cards will be used in Europe.

just 2 more days...
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 07:28 AM

Rome - a tie between the Piazza Navona and that right in front of the Pantheon.