Suggestions for small day pack

Mar 6th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Suggestions for small day pack

I've encountered many posts that mention daypacks, but still am having trouble deciding a good day pack to get.

My requirements:
1. Hold Nikon D50 SLR with zoom lense (Nikkor 28-200; no extra lenses)
2. Extra pockets for knick knacks - pen, water bottle, pages of a guidebook
3. Comfortable shoulder straps
4. Collapse and/or fit into a carry-on (20" tall)
5. Some security measures to avoid pickpocketers (wearing it across shoulder enough? wearing it in back safe?)

I don't know which would be better for me - a backpack or a shoulder bag? I'm ~105lbs/5"1' so I am concerned with size and comfort.

A helpful person suggested Overland's Donner Bag, but I was reading about the lack of a shoulder pad and how it could be uncomfortable because it cut into the shoulder a bit. It's unfortunate because otherwise, everything else looks good on that product. Link: http://www.rei.com/product/47694892.htm

Others have suggested Walmart's Diaper Bags, but I think they might be too large for me.

A few other ones I was looking at are:
Rick Steve's Civita Daypack:
http://www.amazon.com/Rick-Steves-Ci.../dp/B0009U7QKS
Eagle Creek Packable Daypack:
http://www.ebags.com/eagle_creek/pac...?modelid=11344

Thanks in advance!
Mar 6th, 2007, 11:23 AM

Day Pack I have a Steves Civita pack and like it very much.I used it on 6 trips to Europe and also in the States.If I have very little in it I carry it over one shoulder.If it has more in it I wear it like a backpack.
Mar 6th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your responding! : )
Mar 6th, 2007, 09:41 PM

I can't speak to an individual pack, but I have several from Timberland and love every one of them. I've always been impressed by their quality and comfort of use.

When traveling, unless I'm actually moving place to place by plane,etc., I never use a "back" pack. If I'm moving through a crowded train station with a double strap pack, I will wear it backwards and put it on my front.

I have a single strap Timberland bag that I wear across my body and swing to the front if I'm in a crowd. That way I can access my camera quickly and walk with my hand resting on it for extra security if needed. I live in Germany and have traveled extensively throughout Europe with never a hint of problem doing it that way. Wearing it cross-body has become so second nature that I wear it like that all the time now.
Mar 7th, 2007, 04:37 AM

What about the "security" day packs like the ones offered at travelsmith? Are the wired straps and slashproofing necessary? Will be traveling by train in Italy - Rome and Naples included.
Mar 7th, 2007, 04:48 AM

Hello ricecake,

We've got 2 of the Rick Steves' daypacks. They're soft and squishy to roll in the suitcase for packing. The water bottle holders on the outside are handy, and the inside can fit anything you'd need for the day. And yes, the shoulder straps are very comfortable. My DH carries a large camera with an extra telefoto lens, and there's plenty of room still for guidebooks, etc.

Hope this helps.
Mar 7th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your wonderful suggestions. I'll have to take a look at TravelSmith and Timberland and also take a look at the Civita daypack again.
Mar 7th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Slw

I have had the Healthy Back bag for a few years and find it fits all your requirements except I'm not familiar with the size of your camera. I carry it with the large zipper facing the front (kind of under my arm) and feel very secure. It has lots of pockets and cubbies. It will hold quite a bit but is not huge. I can put in our water bottles and still cram in a travel guide and my very small camera. My husband will carry it too, because in black it's fairly masculine.
http://www.amazon.com/AmeriBag-Class.../dp/B000A5LX0G

Mar 7th, 2007, 10:44 AM

Another vote for Rick Steve's Civita Daypack. I have tried many a daypacks. This one had the right number of pockets, light but sturdy. I wouldn't dream of traveling without it.
Mar 7th, 2007, 10:53 AM

I've been following this thread even though I could open a daypack store with all the ones I've been through. I'll try again with the Civita. Thanks