layering clothes in Italy

Sep 7th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

layering clothes in Italy

I just don't get it! I keep checking here for packing/clothing ideas and I am always seeing "layer". But what do you do with the layer when you get warm? Do you carry it around? I am very confused about the whole layering thing and still do NOT know what to pack!!!!! We are going Rome, Tuscany, Venice Oct 16-28th.
Sep 7th, 2006, 11:59 AM

Yes, you carry it around with you. You can take off a cardigan and carry it draped over your shoulders (very preppy), fold it and carry it over your arm, or tuck it into your purse or backpack. It needn't been the top layer that you carry: if you're wearing a jacket over a blouse over a T-shirt you might end up taking off the blouse (which you would then put in your bag) and just wearing the jacket with T-shirt.

You're carrying the same amount of weight whether it's in your bag or on your back.
Sep 7th, 2006, 12:04 PM

Is is the word "layering" that is making you confused? If so, simply disregard.

How do you dress at home for changing temperatures? What do you usually wear for a casual day off, like on weekends in the fall?

OK here's what you pack (are you male or female? would help to know but nevertheless):
3 pants
2 long sleeve shirts
2 short sleeve shirts
3 t-shirts
1 sweater
1 jacket
2 pair of shoes
socks and underwear
1 something to sleep in
Sep 7th, 2006, 12:05 PM

The other part of the "layering" suggestion is the concept (not too difficult) of taking a combination of clothes in your luggage that will, for example, allow you to wear a short-sleeved shirt if it's a warm day, but to wear the short-sleeved shirt under a long-sleeve light sweater if it's a cool day. It does not have to mean you carry the extra layer(s) around all day, though of course it might. Or, for another variation, you wear two layers if it's cool in Venice, but if it's warm when you get to Rome, you wear one layer.
Sep 7th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

I do understand the concept and the reasoning behind the "layering". But when I am in a city sight-seeing, I just do not want to carry something around with me. I would much rather be in the right clothing. Which I guess is why I always over-pack. Thanks for the list...I guess I will go from there. By the way, I am a 32 yr old female. Very stylish here in the states and do not want to look any less in Italy, yet want to be comfortable.
Sep 7th, 2006, 12:36 PM

Take your favorite clothes. About 5 "outfits" worth. You know, the ones you reach for first at home on the weekends in similar weather. Do exactly what you would do if you were planning to be out for an entire day at home and weren't certain which way the weather's going.

On your trip, you can decide each morning what to wear that day. No one's forcing you to carry a jacket around if you don't want to. Take your best guess.

Dressing on a trip is no more complicated than dressing at home. You're stressing too much over the concept (and I mean this most kindly, gently, truly).
;-) Suze
Sep 7th, 2006, 12:57 PM

CAAA, if you are going to be gone away from your hotel room all day there might be a period of time you need to wear say a jacket and than if it warms up the jacket would not be needed and so you would need to take it off and carry it. If you are always going to be within a reasonable walking distant to your hotel you could just go back to your room and drop off or get an article of clothing but normally when one is sightseeing one is often to far from their hotel to do this.

I go through this when I go into San Francisco. I always take a jacket (blazer) of a good looking sweater. But I often have to remove it during the day. And than when the sun starts to go down I need to put it on again.

Or if one can handle being freezing cold (I can't) one can just do without a jacket or sweater. All of my friends in Italy are very stylish dressers but they always take something with them during the seasons it can suddenly get chilly. And Venice in October can get cold for sure.
Sep 7th, 2006, 01:00 PM

Lexma90 ~ You stated my exact thoughts.

CAAA101406 ~ Comfort is key here. One can still be fashionable and quite comfortable. Trust me, your feet will swell on the flight over and remain that way for at least a couple days. Pack one pair and wear one pair of well broken-in confortable shoes. For me, last winter, those were boots with a (dare I say it) heel, because for me, they are my most comfortable winter shoes. Fashionable and comfy. Looking nice and feeling miserable is quite foolish in my opinion. You don't have to be one or the other.

The less you pack the happier you will be. Bring shirts that match with every slack you pack. The layering has already been explained above, you will know when you are there when you step outside what you need. And if you have to carry it with you, a little cardigan tied around your waist or shoulders will not be a bother.

One other thing, to cut down on clothing with each trip I take I either go with black and keep everything matching in that area, or go earthy, and keep neutral tones. This allow you to not have to take four pairs (or more) or shoes.

Enjoy! You will have such a great time! Bring things you look and feel good in!
Sep 7th, 2006, 01:15 PM

I don't like to carry much with me either so I usually check the weather (accuweather.com) and then pack 1 or 2 tops for the warmest day possible and 1 or 2 tops for the coolest day - then depending on the length of my trip I fill in with some of my favorites.
I also leave some space in my bag to pick up a few new tops while traveling.
1jan1
Sep 7th, 2006, 02:47 PM

Sorry I don't want to be disrespectful,but are you for real .This has to be the all time dummest question I have ever seen.Everyone knows when you get to warm in Europe you take off your footwear including your socks and put your feet in the nearest fountain,There are plenty of them around! This way you won't have to take off your sweater and carry it.
Sep 7th, 2006, 03:03 PM

I have to commend all of you for not raking this poor woman up and down the coals.

Are the fodorites mellowing?
Sep 7th, 2006, 03:09 PM

Hi there SeaUrchin, proud of everyone are you, lol! I do personally understand about not liking to carry around a jacket or sweater so I can relate but there are times there seems to be no choice.

And are you getting your clothes together for Paris dear one?????
Sep 7th, 2006, 03:41 PM

I remember the days when this poor soul would have been beaten up and chocked by her own sweater.

I am only thinking about what to pack so far, checking weather, etc. I just may have to layer!!! How do you do that? ha.
Sep 7th, 2006, 03:43 PM

Layering?Well SeaUrchin, here is what you do....!! Don't forget that faux leapord skin hat for your special dinner, lol.
Sep 7th, 2006, 05:03 PM

For myself, I can't imagine touring around for an entire day without some kind of bag (tote, daypack, purse, whatever... which obviously a sweater or jacket could be stuffed into).

CAAA- You really don't carry ANYthing with you when you go out for the day?
Sep 8th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

After reading the rest of your replies this morning, I would just like to say that some of you are just downright rude!!!! I was asking this question because I do not like to carry a jacket around with me all day. The sweater around the neck thing is utterly rediculous! I am not a 40-50-60 year old traveller nor do I want to look like one! This is my first trip to Italy and I understand the importance of being comfortable. I have bought comfortable shoes that are being broken in. I was only asking because I didn't plan on bringing a large bag with me all day that would fit a jacket. And as I just said, I refuse to look like a preppy golfer with a sweater around my neck! If that was the case, I would have bought white tennis shoes too. For any of you are that are "mellowing", I thank you. For those of you who are just pompous jerks...I say please do not answer any more of my questions! Funny thing is that most of you that do answer unkindly are the same ones on here all day that never have anything nice to say to anyone. We are all not world travellers, and some of us do have questions!!! Have a great day and know that I will enjoy my honeymoon without tieing a sweater around my neck or carrying around a jacket.
Sep 8th, 2006, 07:42 AM

Wow! Here everyone was so pleased with themselves for being so easy and gentle with CAAA101406, and she still thinks we're rude.

Sweetheart, you don't have to do anything you don't want to do. Please put together your gorgeous outfits; Italy will appreciate it. It's just that if it is 50 degrees when you leave your hotel in the morning and 80 degrees in the afternoon, you'll just have to decide what temperature you want to dress for, and then either be hot part of the day or cold part of the day.

You should be happy that you aren't honeymooning where I did - Interlaken, Switzerland. In Interlaken, it would be 80 degrees; at the top of the Junfrau, it was 28 degrees. What to wear, what to wear...

Sep 8th, 2006, 07:45 AM

Some day you too will be 40-50-60, if you are lucky, it happens to everyone. One thing about yelling at people on the forum, it will be remembered. You ask for us not to answer your questions, and we won't. You asked for help and people gave it. When you are freezing on your honeymoon because you don't want to carry a jacket or sweater, I guarantee, you will think of this post.
Sep 8th, 2006, 07:50 AM

What will happen before she turns 40-50-60, most likely, is that she will become a mom. Even a Kate Spade diaper bag is a large bag. Let her be fashionable for now. One day she will reach into her pocket for her lip gloss, and instead, pull out a nursing pad, or a small baggie of Cheerios. Until then, let her leave her hotel looking beautiful.
Sep 8th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

A Kate Spade diaper bag would be a fabulous accessory that I would want to a carry around. It, however, will not be in Italy on my honeymoon. I do appreciate your answers. I may regret not wanting to carry a jacket around But definitely not wrapping the sweater around my neck! Suze, I will take your list and go from there. I am sure that I can pull off being comforatble and stylish.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO