Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Out of Gatwick to the Russell Sq. neighborhood...

Mar 7th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

A quick question…in my infinite wisdom in booking I find that I will be arriving from Gatwick to Victoria Station about 9 o'clock on a Monday morning. If you’ve ever been there at that time you will know it is the wrong place to be…what are my options, other than a cab (I’m cheap) and the tube going to Victoria…are there buses out of Gatwick to other points? If you’re familiar with that airport, where do I find the bus terminal? Any helpful suggestions will be welcomed….
Mar 7th, 2007, 09:15 AM

have a cuppa of mocha at Victoria as after 9:30 the tube crowds thin out...somewhat (the reason off-peak TravelCards can't be used before 9:30am Mon-Fri) or consider hopping a TfL bus from in front of Victoria to Russel Square.
Mar 7th, 2007, 09:17 AM

One of the train services from Gatwick is the First Capital Connect to King's Cross Thameslink.

Russell Square is a short ride from there on the #91 bus, or a 20-minute walk.
Mar 7th, 2007, 09:18 AM

There are trains from Gatwick to other points in London.

The easiest (least changes & stairs) probably would be train to Kings Cross Thameslink, walk to Kings Cross then take a 91 bus

BUT telling us where exactly (post code preferred) you are going would help
Mar 7th, 2007, 09:20 AM

Yes but if the OP is worried about crowds at Victoria, riding these probably jammed pack commuter trains at rush hour would not be his/her cup of tea. But yes Thameslink to place like St Pauls/City then a short bus ride would be the cheapest for sure.
Mar 7th, 2007, 09:22 AM

You do NOT want to take a bus/coach out of LGW. As alanRow says, which train you should take will mostly depend on exactly where you are going
Mar 7th, 2007, 09:25 AM

I think your obvious option here is not to travel from Gatwick Airport to Victoria at all. Rather, take the regular First Capital Connect (Thameslink) train service from Gatwick Airport to Kings Cross. These trains run generally thrice hourly (sometimes more) direct from Gatwick - they are generally bound for Bedford as their final destination. Alight at Kings X, from where Russell Square is a pleasant ten minute walk. This service is also, as it happens, cheaper than the Gatwick Express.
Nicky
www.hiddeneurope.co.uk
Mar 7th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, I should've mentioned my ultimate destination is Russell Square...janisj says I do "NOT" want to take a bus, why not? Also, as I remember I can pay for the train in transit rather than standing in line for a ticket...seems like I was even able to use a credit card...thank you for your help...
Mar 7th, 2007, 09:30 AM

<<< janisj says I do "NOT" want to take a bus, >>>

janisj says don't take a bus FROM GATWICK

And apart from the GEX you have to buy tickets before you get on the train
Mar 7th, 2007, 10:15 AM

I took the First Capital Connect, and then the tube from Kings Cross to Russelll Square. I suppose I could have walked it also, and that's a good idea if you are traveling at rush hour (we were traveling around 11 PM).
Mar 7th, 2007, 10:54 AM

Getting from LGW to Victoria on the Gatwick Express at 0900 isn't that bad at all. Southern and First Capital Connect are the operators to avoid during rush hours.

Forget buses from Gatwick. All they do is get you to Victoria Coach station even later and less comfortably. THen you've got to shlep miles to the tube and....

There's no bus from Victoria to Russell Square. However you do it, it's close to an hour, with at least one change (journey planner at www.tfl.gov.uk. Select "more options" when you see the planner, then deselect everything except the bus).

So if you don't want to get a taxi (and frankly this is the worst possible moment to decide to be financially prudent, but that's up to you), just get on the tube. Wait till after 0930 if you like, but actually tubes out of Victoria are rarely that bad (don't take the first entrance from the escalator onto the Victoria line platform: carry on to the next platform entrance then push your way as far down the platform as possible).

Then change at Green Park onto the Piccadilly Line. There's a little-known lift if you've got luggage so you don't have to deal with stairs much, and although it's then quite a long walk it'll be good for you after an overnight flight.

Alternatively, wait at Gatwick till after 0930 and get the Thameslink