Carry on for a man for a 10 day Italy trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen long strings for women regarding packing for a 10 day trip. However, I don't see any for a man. My wife and I will going to Forence at the end of April for three days and then on to Rome for 5 days. As a notorious overpacker, I am determined to pack as light as possible. We will be flying into Rome and taking the train to Florence and back to Rome while in Italy. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 06:42 AM
yk

Bring just one pair of shoes - otherwise the extra pair will take up half of your suitcase.

Ask your wife to allocate some space in her suitcase for you clothes.

That's what we do when we go on trips. My clothes are about half the size of my husband's, so I usually have spare room in my suitcase to accommodate some of his.
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 07:26 AM

I use a gym bag that weights 1 1/2 lbs. I stop packing when it weights 10 lbs. However, when I travel I am on the go and would not stay in only two places like you so it wouldn't seem to matter that much.
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 07:30 AM

My last 3 trips to Europe have been 2 weeks twice and 10 days once. All 3 with a 21 inch roller carry on. I also have a laptop bag that carries my camera, chargers, cords, maps etc as well as the laptop.

I DO take 2 pairs of shoes, the pair I wear plus a pair of good walking sandals.

I think the best thing I have found are those large plastic ziplock bags made for packing. I have 3 large ones that really compress down the contents. The first time I used them I put all shirts in one, trousers in another and underwear and socks in the third. It turned out not so handy as I had to open all 3 to change clothes.
So now I put a complete outfits in each bag and it works well.

A friend with a suitcase the same size as mine was amazed at how much more I had in it than he had in his bag. Still well underweight and easy to carry when needed.

Here's the really amazing thing you'll discover... if you are missing something or run low on something you can always buy what you need in Europe! ;^)

Rob
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 07:36 AM

Here's a packing list that works for my husband (includes what you are wearing on the plane).

3 slacks
5 shirts
sweater
jacket
5 underwear
5 socks
1 shoes
1 belt

Rely on hotel laundry service (convenient but can be expensive) or many local laundries have drop off wash and dry service (cheaper certainly) and/or wash a couple underwear or sock in the hotel sink.
Old Apr 19th, 2009, 07:56 AM

laurie -ann

almost identical to what my husband takes
+ a very light waterproof jacket ( easy to pack, weights nothing),a pair of throw away slippers, and a tie.