Search

Need packing tips: 24 days in Japan

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2014, 03:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need packing tips: 24 days in Japan

Hey guys and girls,

In April 2015 I´m going for my first trip to Japan. I'm a 30 y/o male from Brazil.
Here we are used to the warm weather, but I can withstand some low temperatures.

I've read temperatures in Japan during April range from 11C-18C, what I find perfectly OK. I could survive that without any kind of heavy coat.

As I'm not an expert traveller, I always tend to throw everything I use in my bag and pack. This time I would like to avoid unnecessary itens.

So, for a 21 net days, what should I pack? What would be a good suitcase size?

Eg: Type of clothes, number of shirts/pants/shoes etc.

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 20th, 2014, 08:21 AM

Use the 'Rule of 3s' for items where you normally carry multiples. ie. t-shirts, shirts, pants, underwear, socks.

One to wash, one to wear, one to spare. No one NEEDS more than that but a lot of people THINK they do.
Old Nov 20th, 2014, 08:46 AM

That's a good rule!

Try to get by with two pairs of shoes, one on your feet and one in your bag, both of which will go with everything you have to wear.

And choose clothes you can layer, for cooler temps; and clothes that you can mix and match, so everything goes with everything else.

You are smart to work on packing light! It seems so hard to do, but if you succeed, your trip will be so much more relaxing.
Old Nov 20th, 2014, 01:49 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would pick your suitcase and then pack to that size. A 19-21" if you want to carry-on. A 22-24" if you want to check it in. Wear your bulkiest clothes/shoes/coat on the plane.
Old Nov 20th, 2014, 02:33 PM

Pick your WEIGHT you are willing to carry and THEN see how big a bag you need to carry what it is made up of. Do NOT pick a bag first and then fill it.

Truly lightweight is 7kg or less including the weight of the bag itself.
Acceptable as lightweight is under 11-12kg.
Over 12kg. is no longer lighweight.

Someone who knows how to get by with 7kg. rarely needs a bag bigger than 30L and never uses a bag that weighs more than about 1 kilo on its own. That basically rules out ALL wheeled bags.

Leave your bulkiest clothes/shoes/coat at home. Bulk doesn't go with travel any more than heavy weight does.
Old Nov 21st, 2014, 03:22 PM

A 40 litre bag will be plenty big enough. Small enough to carry on the plane and for some of the Japanese rooms which can be really small.

April is agreat time to visit Japan, not too hot and not too cold and the blossom is out! You don't say what you are doing or where you are going and these two things will have a bearring on what you should take (and is probably better asked on the Asia forum than here). casual clothes are fine unless you plan on going to very upmarket reataurants. A light waterproof jacket would be a good idea but a heavy coat is not necessary. A light fleece would be good if you plan on going to thee mountains.

As for numbers of items. We are currently travelling for a year in Asia and my bag holds 2 prs pants, 2 prs, shorts, 4 T shirts, I short and 1 long sleeved shirt, 5 underpants, fleece, waterproof jacket, 1 pr sandals, 1 pr shoes. Could I get by with less? Certainly. Do I want to? No

There is an old saying. Before travelling, lay out all your stuff and money for the trip on the bed. Throw away half the stuff and take twice the money.
Old Nov 23rd, 2014, 02:07 PM

Hi,
April can be cold or warm in Japan. Either way, it would be beautiful season to see the cherry blossom.

Since I am from Japan, I usually go with bigger bag(22-25 inch luggage) but half full to bring. So I can pack my shopping items!

Remember though, they have 100 yen store everywhere in Tokyo and most major cities as well as coin laundry.

I won't pack like shampoo, soap, tooth paste, tooth brush unless you use special kind. You can find them in 100 yen store.

For clothes, it depends how often you do launder... 2 pairs of pants(at least 1 long), 1 jeans, 2 pair of shoes, 3-5 socks, 5-7 undies, 5 T-shirts (including under layer shirts as underwear), 2 short sleeve shirts, 1 long sleeve shirt(if you aren't long sleeve kinda a guy), fleece/hoodie, light water/windproof jacket.

But again, I agree with "crellston" said. You CAN get anything you need if you bring $. Major cities is easy to get stuff, even foods.

Have a great time in Japan!
Y
Old Nov 24th, 2014, 08:33 PM

4-5 basic t-shirts, 2-3 pants and underwears and 2 light jacket/hoodie, and you're ready to go
They have coin laundry everywhere and it takes 30mins-1hour with clothing dryer so you don't need to worry.
Travel light and eat good food.
Old Dec 1st, 2014, 11:33 PM

Traveling in the winter take an overcoat, gloves, warm scarf and ear muffs.March, April and May is a great time to be in Japan but the weather can be variable so for March/April we would suggest packing gloves, scarf and a waterproof jacket. Buy an umbrella when you get there.

Enjoy the trip!!!!