Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How many suitcases/what size do you take on 7 days trips?

Sep 24th, 2004, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

My goal is to fit everything in my rolling carryon-is this possible-Italy in Nov. summer clothes are always easier to pack! I must cut down on number of shoes that is key! What do you take?
Sep 24th, 2004, 06:14 AM

I take one carry on bag and an extra bag that is folded up inside of my suitcase that I can use if I buy too much stuff on my trip. You only need 1 maybe 2 pairs of shoes. Wear something comfortable. Also if you choose a color scheme (say black or blue) then you can mix and match more easily. Trust me you'll never regret not packing more. You can always buy things once in Europe and especially in Italy. Wear or hold your coat on the plane and that gives you more room.
Sep 24th, 2004, 06:23 AM

My one winter trip to Switzerland I used a normal large suitcase for the 1st time ever. In preparing to pack, I put 1 sweater in my usual 22" and it was practically full! I'm NOT giving this as good advice just my experience. (Now I stick to travel in summer- LOL) I look forward to some better and more creative answers. It's a good question.
Sep 24th, 2004, 06:25 AM

Keep in mind that some airlines have weight restrictions on carryons for overseas flights, and a fully-packed carryon is likely to exceed most of those restrictions. That's weight, not just outside dimensions.

I agree with packing as little as you are comfortable with. Still, if you're going to check the bag anyway, taking an extra item or two will be fine if it will make you feel more versatile or comfortable. I take two pairs of comfortable walking shoes, plus at least one pair of dressier shoes for evenings. But that's me.

Light-weight ski underwear (silk or cotton) takes up no space, and comes in handy for layering if the weather turns cold.
Sep 24th, 2004, 06:26 AM

I meant to add, one of the comfortable pairs of shoes is the pair I wear on the plane
Sep 24th, 2004, 06:33 AM

One carry on sized rolling bag. For a 2 week trip I only add an overnight bag to the mix.
Sep 24th, 2004, 07:03 AM

My god! How do you manage?! I'm not a particularly clothes conscious person or anything but I always take SOOOO much with me, packing for every eventuality. And as for toiletries and cosmetics, well, it's obscene! Don't get me wrong, I really wish I wasn't like this, I'm so jealous!
Sep 24th, 2004, 07:05 AM

A large - usually 33 inch rolling case for the summer. However, if it's winter, and I intend to attend formal parties, then an additional 26(or thereabouts) inch rolling case. I always take a large vintage Gucci holdall for cosmetics/other bits, and sometimes an additional Mulberry clipper holdall for lighter/irreplaceable items.
Sep 24th, 2004, 07:05 AM

Husband and I together use one medium sized wheeled checkin bag, one small carryon and my large many-compartmented nylon shoulder bag. Pack a small plastic carryon for overflow on the return trip and take a fannypack for days I don't want to carry the shoulderbag.
We figure on being able to wash out socks and underwear and occasionally a shirt. Never take more than 2 pr of shoes each and sometimes only 1 pr.
Sep 24th, 2004, 07:22 AM

When I went last November, I knew that I was just one-way to Paris...stay there...then home. No dashing about with my luggage. I took what I wanted, as I checked my luggage. I had a long dress coat, my rain coat...dressy shoes...1 skirt, 1 pair of suede dress slacks, leather blazer, wore my "black" slacks and had packed tops to go from day to night. I wanted to dress up a bit at night! But the packing/unpacking nor dragging the suitcase from one place or the other determined and allowed me to take what I wanted.
Sep 24th, 2004, 07:32 AM

Whether it's 1 week or 2, I bring a 26" pullman and a small carry-on. I also pack a foldable bag I can use to bring back stuff from my travels.

I don't over-pack, but I just cannot get by with a carry-on bag for a trip longer than a weekend. It is just too inconvenient to have to spend precious vacation time constantly doing laundry. My only luggage rule is that I be able to handle all my luggage myself without assistance from others.
Sep 24th, 2004, 07:34 AM

I've never traveled in Italy in November but this is what I generally pack during the colder months when I visit London (usually a five-day trip):

1 black skirt
1 pair black trousers
2 lighter weight turtlenecks or other sweater
1 heavier sweater
3 pairs of tights
2 pairs of socks
6 pairs of underwear (I'm a little obsessive in needing to know I have extra "emergency" underwear)
1 half-slip
1 bra
cosmetics (bare necessities - for example, no multiple colors of lipstick or eyeshadow - travel size, if possible)
toiletries (all travel size)
1 pair of shoes
1 nightgown
1 collapsible umbrella
possibly a scarf or two

If I'm staying in a hotel that provides hairdryer, I skip packing that.

I am, of course, wearing a second pair of shoes on the plane, plus another sweater, usually over a tee-shirt so I can remove the sweater during the flight and I'm also wearing a coat when I board.

I generally don't go to fancy restaurants but I do go to fairly nice ones and this wardrobe is fine for that.

I don't normally wear a lot of jewelry so any that I take when I travel I wear on the plane (in other words, one pair of earrings, my watch, and my rings)
Sep 24th, 2004, 07:44 AM

Duh! In my "ain't I grande" sounding I response, I forgot (DUH!) to mention, at the time it was a 24" duffel bag with wheels. ..hmmm.. just remembered, I gotta get a new one...it was "broken" at the end of that trip! <GRIN>
Sep 24th, 2004, 07:49 AM

For travel in the winter (which we have done for the last three Februaries), my husband and I take one 22-inch and one 24- inch suitcase (not each, together!) and I take a smallish carryon, which I can attach to one of the other suitcases for rolling about.

Also, we always make sure we each have at least one change of clothes in each suitcase, in case one doesn't get there. So far, we've been lucky, though.

I don't think we could do with any less in cold weather!

Byrd

Sep 24th, 2004, 08:55 AM

I will be in Italy for the 1st 2 weeks of nov (travelling venice to rome, so the temp remains fairly constant). I will only be carrying a 20" soft suitcase/backpack and a small daybag. All the following fits inside with room to spare:
3 pants
4 long sleeve shirts
2 short sleeve shirts
2 sets of silk underwear
5 sets of underwear
1 yoga pant (night wear) + 1 nightshirt
3 camisoles
1 cashmere sweater
1 light jacket
1 wind-breaker with hood
cap, gloves, scarf
2 pairs of shoes
guidebooks,maps, journals
toiletries
laundry care
1 sm umbrella, small towel
camera, binoculars, cellphone

The above includes what I'm wearing and it is stays under 20lbs/10kgs. I think the material of the clothes you are carrying makes a big difference. I don't have too many bulky things in there. Good luck.
Sep 24th, 2004, 09:14 AM

1 suitcase is all that is needed for only 7 days! I go for 5-6 weeks at a time with a rolling carry-on (sm-med size). Less is better, plus easier to transport off airplane, train, bus, wherever you go. In November the weather will be cool in Italy, so I would advise just bringing one pair of closed shoes that would work in rain or shine (I have a pair of "Mushrooms" that are similar to the Easy Spirit style of walking shoes - black, lace up, soft cushion sole that are great to wear with everything.) For fancier evenings, you might want to bring a pair of high heels in your suitcase. However, if you can forego bringing anything extra, that is best to alleviate a heavy suitcase. Don't forget to bring a mini umbrella along!
Sep 24th, 2004, 09:21 AM

My advice or rather what I do is take a slightly larger suitcase than what I am packing. If you think your case is hard to close on the way over, just think about on the way back and I don't want to waste time cramming things back in the suitcase when I leave (even if it is expandable).

It means checking a bag but to me it is worth it.
Sep 24th, 2004, 09:23 AM

I too, try to avoid checking my baggage for short holidays. Having my bags delayed on two separate occasions taught me that lesson.

But I also try to pack one semi-dressy outfit. I once got surprise opera tickets and had nothing to wear. I hate shopping for dressy clothes in a panic. I never manage to find anything suitable (that I can afford) in those circumstances.
Sep 24th, 2004, 10:41 AM
ira

>How many suitcases/what size do you take on 7 days trips?<

One. Small.

Sep 24th, 2004, 10:50 AM

DH and I share a medium roller bag (must be checked) and each bring a carry-on (his is really only a camerabag). We've tried to do it with two regular size carry-ons, but he likes to bring a sports coat (or two!) and two extra pair of shoes. Oh, but our trips are always at least 2 weeks long, so I guess that's not bad at all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO