Suggestions for Slow Travel in Ireland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am just beginning to plan a 3 week trip to Ireland for September. This will be our first visit and I honestly selected Ireland because flying to Dublin from the Balt/DC area was the least expensive airline ticket to Europe on the day I was doing a search and I was in the mood for an airfare bargain

My plan was to stay 5 or 6 nights in Dublin and one week on the east coast and west coast of the Republic of Ireland and do day trips to the principal sights from our chosen home bases.

I am wondering if the roads in Ireland and low travel speeds are conducive to this travel plan. I'm trying to avoid changing accommodations every other day if possible and still see sights of interest to a first time visitor while enjoying the small town friendliness that seems to be the norm in Ireland

All suggestions and help would be appreciated. Thank you, Deborah
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 02:04 PM

Deborah,

I would suggest with that amount of time - researching and finding the places you want to see -- to me in Dublin a week is a LONG Time....with so much beauty other places - I'd give Dingle 3 days at least - and You can get a wonderful deal at Adare Manor condo's for 5 days...and it is beautiful! (great place to go on day trips from!)
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Irishgal, thanks. A friend told me she wished she had stayed longer in Dublin than her two day stay. I like large cities so I'm planning on at least 4 days there.

In my research, initially using Michelin's recommendations for principal sights, on my list are the areas around Kilkenny, Kinsale, Killarney, Dingle, Bunratty, Cliffs of Moher, Galway and Connemara. Long list, I realize

Is it possible to find a central location for a week that would allow short day trips that range from Dingle to the Ring of Beara OR the Connemara and Cliffs of Moher? I really would like to avoid moving every two days between B&B's during the 17/18 days we will have a rental car. A one week stay in one place would feel a bit slower to me!!

Thank you for any suggestions. Deborah
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 06:06 AM

Hi DeborahAnn! Lucky you three weeks in Ireland!

We stayed in Glengariff for a couple of nights, using it as a base for Beara, but you could easily stay there longer and do the ring of Kerry from there too. It is a lovely little town with lots of nice B&Bs and pubs. It is also home to Garinish Island gardens. Gougane barra is also close by.
Baltimore is also a delightful small town, and since you are from the area you may enjoy visiting the original! Casey's hotel is lovely.
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

hetismij, Thanks for the suggestions. I'll research that area. Yes, Baltimore, Ireland seems to be a must see for many people here in the Baltimore Maryland area

I hope you and your family are staying warm this winter!! Deborah
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 01:21 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Even 4 days is a bit long for Dublin -- and I am always telling folks to go slower and stay longer. But 4 days is better than a week so that's OK. Dublin isn't London or Edinburgh or Paris - IMO just isn't. I'd consider it a good 3-day city.

I'd spend your 4 days in Dublin, 3 or 4 days on the east coast - but spend the other 2 weeks over on the west coast. That is where the most scenic bits are and the travel is slow so you won't be able to see much of the area if you only take a week for the west side.
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 02:05 PM

If you like cities, don't let the naysayers talk you out of four or five days in Dublin. I lived just outside of Dublin for two years and every time I go back to visit friends, I think maybe I've done enough of Dublin, but I find new things and parts to explore and find that I enjoy some of the old favorites as well.

You spoke of using Dingle as a base for exploring the southwest. My sister, her husband and I rented a cottage in that area and spent a week. We explored the Dingle peninsula, Dingle itself, drove the Ring of Kerry, spent a day hiking in Killarney National Park and went to Cashel.

On another trip friends and I rented a cottage for a week near Galway and used that as a jumping off point for Galway, Conemara, the Aran Islands, Inishboffin, the Burren, the Cliffs of Moher and lots more.
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 02:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You might look at renting a gypsey caravan. You get one pony and the owner will turn up at the end of the day to check its ok. Very pleasant way of spending the day though remember its a green island 'cause it rains
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 02:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
http://www.travel-quest.co.uk/horse-drawn.htm

or what about an inland boating trip?
Old Jan 17th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

bilboburgler, thank you for the link to renting a caravan in Ireland; what unique accommodations! I'm afraid my husband has a great distrust of horses so it would not be a good fit for us

I'm so glad to have opinions of Dublin. In the past I've never regretted a prolonged stay in a major city so I think five days in Dublin will suit us.

I'm considering staying near Killorglin at the Dromin Farmhouse for 5 nights. Would that be a good location for the Dingle penninsula and Ring of Kerry, Kenmare, Killarney?

Irishface, I would also like to find a location for a 5 night base as you did for the Cliffs of Moher, Connemara and points between.

Janisj, if I plan on 2 nights near Kilkenny and 3 nights near Kinsale and then two nights near Newgrange to be close to the airport car drop before our stay in Dublin--I think this would be both a bit of a slow travel and still taking us to many of the places first time visitors seem to enjoy.

Thank you for any and all suggestions, it certainly is helping me in my trip planning. Deborah
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 04:45 PM

Deborah -
are you renting a car???

A great place on the west coast is in Adare -- (great little city) check out Adare Manor -- they have WONDERFUL and inexpensive condo's behind the manor - we stayed there a week for a VERY good price - and did day trips the whole week (in fact - went overnight to dublin - lol - one day was enough for us! lol)

Went to Dingle after and stayed at Emlaght Lodge - just a wonderful wonderful place - but also heard Heaton House is lovely -- so checking that out for our next stay! We're going to be there in September as well - first two weeks -- will be going into Dublin (one night) and then train over to galway -- and going north this trip!
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 04:48 PM

ok..re-read - saw you're getting a rental -- some roads are slow going for sure (those around the coasts were nerve rackign to us) -- but many highways are great roads (the N and R roads were good!) There are new highways to Cork and Galway I believe which shortened the time of going from dublin to galway to just 2.5 hours - which is way shorter than the train was!
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 12:06 AM
Original Poster

Irishgal, thanks for your suggestions. I have to decide how many nights we want to be in Dublin. I'm a little surprised you were ready to leave Dublin after one day, smaller towns must be a stronger attraction for you I think we will save Northern Ireland for another trip. Have fun with your planning. Deborah
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 10:02 PM

We did like smaller towns - the pubs weren't as crowded and more local feel to it all ...

good luck to you as well!