Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Self-Catering London Accommodation near Westminster/London Eye area

Jan 10th, 2010, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

We're thinking of going to London for our kids half-term week in February. Usually when we go to London we've gone for long day trips or just a weekend. For a full week, however, we'd like to stay in a self-catering place. Ideally we'd like to be in the Westminster/London Eye area. It will need to sleep 4. 2 bedrooms is best, but 1 bedroom with a pull-out sofa will work also.

I've found a few sites, but it seems several of the apartments in that central area are only for longer stays (90 days or more). Others are just way too expensive. I've found many places that are a bit further out near a tube stop, but we'd like to see what we can find near Westminster or the London Eye first. Does anyone have any suggestions for this area?

Thanks for the help!
Jan 10th, 2010, 07:20 AM

"Others are just way too expensive."

That could mean anything. What is your budget?
Jan 10th, 2010, 08:01 AM

Have you looked at www.slowtrav.com? It has lots of reviews of rentals and rental agencies.

There are not a lot of rentals in that area. There are some in Pimlico, many in South Kensington. Since, in a weeks' time, you'll be using the tube/bus some anyway, maybe it would be easier to stay a little away from Westminster and have more options.
Jan 10th, 2010, 08:29 AM

We walked to Westminster Abbey from our apartment which was near Harrod's.www.basilstreetapartments.com They offer many options.
Jan 10th, 2010, 08:42 AM

and

http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/sea...don/Bedrooms:2
Jan 10th, 2010, 08:49 AM

The two companies we use are London Connection...a states run company and can pay in dollars.

Coach House holiday rentals, London based. Both have a variety of price ranges and locations.

Had no problems with either company. Just depended on what was available at the times we were going.
Jan 10th, 2010, 10:35 AM

Have you looked at www.vrbo.com - Vacation Rental By Owner. You can search by number of bedrooms etc.

Kay
Jan 10th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. we're hoping to stay under 800 pounds for the week. If we could stay under 700 that would be great.

I've looked at holiday-rentals.co.uk, holidaylettings.co.uk, and holidaylets.net. Several apartments are listed as 'westminster/victoria' but are actually a bit further out then we'd like. I'll look at the ones above. I've found some that might be possibilities but also wanted to find out if anyone had other suggestions.

We know we could stay a bit further out, but ideally would like to be 10-15 minutes walk or so from the London Eye and/or Westminster.

thanks for the feedback so far. We appreciate it.
Jan 10th, 2010, 11:46 AM

I honestly can't see "Westminster/Victoria" being too far from anything. If you mean you really want to be right at Parliament/County Hall/the Eye - then your budget is far too low. There aren't many places to rent right there, and those that are will be primo cost-wise. Even IF the owner mis-describes a location as Victoria when it is really in Belgravia (can't imagine the benefit of doing that) it would only be a few blocks farther than Victoria. ST James's Park would be good - but a 2bdrm near there would have to cost more or I'd be a tad suspicious.

Victoria is walking distance from B'ham Palace and lots of other things. Pimlico is walking distance from the river, Tate Britain, and Westminster.

Where exactly are these Westminster/Victoria properties that are too far out?
Jan 23rd, 2010, 10:07 PM
Original Poster

Just wanted to sign back on to say that we used www.vrbo.com to find a really nice 2 bedroom/2 bathroom apartment with a balcony that looks perfect. We did have to increase our budget just slightly to be as close as we wanted, but the reviews are great and the photos look wonderful. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.