Suggestions for last day/night in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2003, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found out after reviewing our interary tonight that we fly out from CDG at 2:25 pm and not 10:00am like I thought originally. Several questions come to mind (a few are found below)
1) Should I keep our reservation near CDG (we are coming back from Diisneyland Paris on Saturday eveing) since it is now obvous we might want to spend our last evening/morning some place closer to the Parisian sights?
2) When should we arrive at CDG to be sure we are comfortable about making our international flight to Detroit?
3) What sights are doable on a Sunday with little time (if we need to be at the airport by sometime around noon)? Is a Sunday mass somewhere a good option?

Thanks for all the help. Everyone here has been very nice at helping newbies such as myself on planning this most important trip.
Old Aug 16th, 2003, 06:45 PM

1- I would stay in Paris Saturday night. Maybe a small place on the Left Bank. Have dinner somewhere and just walk as far and as long as you can.
2- We find arriving at the airport 2 hours ahead just makes it, there are lines for the Tax refunds and lines for security and it is hard to find your way around sometimes, especially if the airport is full and bustling, try 2 1/2 hours, then you can browse the duty free shops or have a snack while waiting.
3- If you stay on the Left Bank, near the Seine, you can walk over to Notre Dame for a Sunday morning service, same for the St-Germaine des Pres on Blvd St Germain. Then take a walk, have a bite to eat, grab your stuff, and go to the airport.
Wherever you stay in Paris, have the desk arrange for a taxi the night before, it will be there when you need it. We always do that and it makes the leaving that much easier.
Have a wonderful time~
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 03:04 AM

we had that same flight out a couple of years ago. paris is great on a sunday morning.

we packed up, paid the hotel and left our bags at the desk. took the metro to sully morland and walked about the charming and very quiet ile de st. louis for a couple of hours.

returned to pick up our bags and took the RER to de gaulle. no rush, no hassle. just a pleasant sunday morning in one of our favorite places.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 03:52 AM

Sleep in Paris. Stay out late, get up early. The obvious Sunday morning activity: listen to the bells at Notre Dame, if not while attending mass, then while at the bird market that is near there. Schedule your taxi for 11:30 pick up so you arrive at airport by about noon.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 04:28 AM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
I have to agree with all above.

An airport hotel vs Left Bank is kind of a no-contest question.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 06:27 AM
ira

Hi,

Air France says that you should arrive 3 hr ahead of time.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 07:59 AM

David (or Wendy):

Here's a delightful hotel right at Notre Dame and Ile St. Louis. I just wrote it up on another thread....scroll down to the 5th post.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...mp;keyword=129
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 10:26 AM

I've flown out of CDG on Sunday several times, one fairly recently, and would suggest you leave Paris by taxi at 11 am. Actually, if you plan to use the RER, I'd probably also suggest the same time as the travel time is about the same (30-45 min), but then you need to get from the RER stop to your airline checkin, versus being dropped off in front. Even getting there a little earlier would not be a bad idea (I got there 3 hours early last time for a Sunday noon flight and it was just about right). YOu never know about unusual traffic tie-ups, either.