Reload this Page >

Quick stay in Paris - any tips?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 11:20 AM
kim

I will be spending 1 1/2 days in Paris next month by myself after a wonderful 2 week bike trip through Provence...haven't been to Paris in years. Since I don't have much time -- any tips/suggestions from you Paris Pro's on how best to do what I want to do and perhaps what I should try to do as well would be appreciated (i.e. in what order and whether to walk, cab or bus it). <BR><BR>I want to go to at least a couple of museums (d'orsay, Musee Rodin, Louvre or Picasso maybe), dine out 2 nights (Bistro de Breteuil and Bookinistes -- but open to suggestions), walk and shop for cookware, prints, and clothes). I want to walk around Ile de la Cite and Notre Dame -- I like to just walk, enjoy neighborhoods/cafes and people watch too .<BR><BR>I arrive in Paris at 1pm Saturday/Gare de Lyon (staying at Hotel des Balcons) and depart Paris/CDG 1:30pm Monday.<BR><BR>Thanks!

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 01:34 PM
boston

I just got back from a week in Paris and had a good stay at the K+K Hotel Cayre (blvd Raspail right at metro Rue du Bac). It's within easy walking distance to the museums you mentioned as well as cafes on St. Germain and lots of little great Left Bank shops.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 08:56 AM
carol

The Picasso and Rodin museum are each small enough that you could comfortably do both in a morning. Since you're staying on the left bank, start with the Rodin and take a cab (if you can find one)to the Picasso in the 4th. Have lunch in the Marais and then wander over to the Ile de la Cite and Notre Dame. Take the bus back to your hotel and then do your left bank shopping walks and dinner. Sounds lovely to me.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 08:57 AM
carol

There's also great shopping in the Marais!

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 01:20 PM
Kim

Thanks Carol - that sounds perfect. I I guess I could walk over to Musee d'Orsay after doing Musee Rodin and then take a bus to the Marais area for Picasso and shop around and then onto Notre Dame. I will also have Saturday afternoon if you have any suggestions on how you would spend this - unfortunately I believe I miss the Vanves flea market on Saturday morning - was thinking of going to the art market in the Montparnasse area. One of the evenings I think I need to make it to the Passerelle des Arts bridge at sunset . I can tell already that I my visit is too short. Thanks for the tips - Kim

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 08:30 AM
Jinx Hoover

<BR>we stayed at the Balcons in August. Great location. Be sure to stroll through the Luxembourg Gardens just south of the hotel. Walk to Ile St. Louis and Ile de la Cite--and the Marais. Take the Metro to the Arc de Triomphe and stroll down the Champs-Elysees. The Eiffel Tower at night, if you like. And the Louvre and d'Orsay on Sunday will be best. Have a great trip! Jinx Hoover<BR><BR>