Search

Paris Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2003, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Hotel

Just a quick question....many of you can do this one with your eyes closed...We are going to Paris a couple of days early before we go to Italy. We planned to just get our feet wet in Paris and get over jet lag, then the big trip will be in Italy. My question is: What would be a good location to stay, we don't want to stay in a "airport hotel", but also want to make sure we are not too far away so that the 2 days are spent travelling back and forth to the airport. Any suggestions? mid range price please.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 05:37 AM
ira

Hi Annie,

I suggest that you make it at least three days in Paris.

Try the Hotel Bonaparte in the 6th. We will be staying there in the Spring. About 115E/nt dbl w/bkfst.

If you do a text search you will find some discussion on it.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 06:25 AM

If you are going to be there for a couple of days, another suggestion is the Latin Quarter. We recently stayed at Hotel Monge (95 euro per night).

It's a quick 30-40 minute ride from CDG to the Latin Quarter on the RER train, provided you can handle your own luggage.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help so far. I should have mentioned it was CDG airport we need to get back to for a noon flight. Just one carry-on also, not a bunch of luggage. Adding a day for Paris is not an option, we are just fortunate to have a great city to do this 2 day stop. Just not good on the layout of the city and wanted to make the most of our time. Thanks again.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 07:34 AM

If you have two full days, you will have no problem staying in the city and making your connections. Others here can tell you how much time to allow upon leaving to catch your Italy connection...I've never done that. But you certainly don't need to stay near CDG.

Ira mentioned Hotel Bonaparte. We stayed there and loved it, but we had a week to get our bearings. I would recommend another little hotel right next to the Seine and Notre Dame.

Hotel de Notre Dame is on a tiny little street, no more than 50 yards from the river and the Iles right at Pont Archeveche. It's a wonderful location, especially given your short stay.

Our room was small but well-appointed, with a window looking out toward the river. 150E for a double. All our dealings with them were pleasant and efficient.

Here are some websites:

1) Hotel de Notre Dame
http://www.hotel-paris-notredame.com/index.html

2) I include this apartment site simply because it has a good picture of Rue Maitre Albert. The top, left picture is almost right at the hotel, looking out toward the river. Those trees at the end of the street are at the Seine.

http://www.psrparis.com/loadapt.cgi?802&us

Suggestions: With only two days I wouldn't try to learn the Metro or see the Louvre. Take a cab to those "outlying places" you choose to see...the Eiffel Tower, maybe. Take the sunset river cruise (not dinner)...bring along a bottle of wine and, Zut Alors!, you'll be in heaven. We loved walking in the Marais, especially the area behind Place Vosges..."old" Paris. In other words, your biggest challenge is going to be not trying to see everything. You'll enjoy it immensely if you simply get to know the area around a well-chosen hotel. Bon journee!
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 08:54 AM

I agree that it might be wise to try to get a hotel really close to the heart of the city, while still being away from the 'tourist area'. Like Ira, I also like Hotel Bonaparte [good rate for next year, Ira!], but had been thinking, regarding a friend's short visit, that a hotel closer to the Seine would be preferable for such a short stay. However, if you do choose Hotel Bonaparte, it is in between Notre Dame/Louvre and the Jardin de Luxembourg, and St. Suplice is around the corner. It is at that very corner that my daughter, who lives there, spotted Gweneth Paltrow at that cafe just this past fri.. My favorite thing to do in Paris is just walk around the city, so no matter where you are [within reason], you can't go wrong.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 09:31 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would pick somewhere in the 5th - Latin Quarter, or maybe 6th - St. Germain... for the most central location.

Find a Paris map & you'll understand the layout better. The arrondisements (named/numbered neighborhoods) spiral outwards from the center of the city. With the heart where the most popular tourist sites are in the 5th thru 7th.

I would use a taxi from and to the CDG, ~1/2 hour if I remember right. There are cheaper ways but with such a short time in Paris personally I would spring for a cab. Have your hotel call one, just tell the front desk your departure flight time and they'll let you know how much time to allow.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 10:08 AM

If you are comfortable with urban rail, I definitely would recommend you simply take the RER into Paris if you only have one carryon (and I rarely recommend that instead of a taxi).

I also recommend you stay near the RER stop Luxembourg in the Latin Quarter, which is very central, a pleasant area and will make your trips to/from CDG simple. There are quite a few decent mid-range hotels within a block or two of that RER stop, such as these:

Hotel des Jardins du Luxembourg
Hotel du Pantheon
http://www.hoteldupantheon.com/
Hotel des Grands Hommes
http://www.hoteldesgrandshommes.com/
Hotel Select
http://www.selecthotel.fr/
Hotel Luxembourg
http://www.hotel-luxembourg.com/
Grand Hotel St-Michel
http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h75005stmichel.htm

I think some of the other ideas are good ones and nice hotels, but given your short time, I just wouldn't add on the transportation issue to other areas of Paris when it would be so easy to get to the Luxembourg area.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 10:29 AM

A great website is www.hotelsearch-in-paris.com
You can "search by map", and just point to the area you think you might like (like the 5th or 6th near Notre Dame on map) and all the hotels come up on a street map. Then, just click on the hotel icon at a location that looks interesting, and all the details of that hotel will come up. It's very useful and easy.
We'll be staying at the Hotel Cluny Square in early Sept., on the corner of Blvd. Saint Michel and Blvd Saint Germain. It's directly on the St. Michel metro and RER line that you need for transportation to/from CDG, and a few minutes walk to Notre Dame and other "must see" places. It's air-conditioned, and a double is 125 euros. Also, the area is wall-to-wall with cafes and such. Hope this helps. Joyce