Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Suggestions for doing Paris and Nice WITHOUT tons of walking?

Suggestions for doing Paris and Nice WITHOUT tons of walking?

Jan 24th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Suggestions for doing Paris and Nice WITHOUT tons of walking?

HI all,
We very much want to go to Paris and Nice this summer but I cannot do TONS of walking due to needing my hip replaced before too long. Is there a way to go without doing lots and lots of walking or not? I can certainly walk some but not long, long walks or my hip will kill me.

Also, is it miserable in July due to hot, hot weather....bad time to go?

Many thanks.

Jennifer
Jan 24th, 2007, 08:22 AM

sure, it's possible to do that about anywhere, I think. All you have to do is go to some spot and stay there and not walk a lot all over the city. Of course, you won't be able to see as much (unless you hire a personal limo, I suppose, to take you to each site), but it can be done anywhere.

In Nice, you could just go to the boardwalk and sit around or the main square and watch people. YOu can do that in Paris in a million cafes or squares or parks.

NO, it is not miserable in July due to hot weather, but I guess that depends on your reference. I am from the US Midwest and now live in Wash DC, so it is unremarkable to me, and often not as hot as where I live. It's not the tropics, so it can get hot like any place in summer, but it's not going to be unsustained temps over 100 or anything.
Jan 24th, 2007, 08:23 AM
ira

Hi J,

Paris has an excellent bus/metro system.

See www.ratp.fr for how to get anywhere in Paris.

There are also taxis.

Officially, you can only get a cab at a stand (or by calling), but many will stop for you on the street.

Jan 24th, 2007, 08:23 AM

Jennifer,

You could focus on the tours they have in Paris, maybe a Segway tour (I'm not sure if you can stand for any length of time) but you could definitely do the L'Open Tour bus plus the boat tours (bateaux mouches, Canal St-Martin). Somewhere on the Paris Superthread is a link to a thread on great bus routes in Paris utilizing the regular bus system.

One of my favorite memories in Paris was taking the Montmartrobus in Montmartre which takes you by many of the sights there (Sacre Coeur, La Maison Rose, the vineyard, Au Lapin Agile, Moulin Rouge) - it was a lot of fun.

I've never done it and I'll need someone to weigh in on this but perhaps you could do the sewers tour a la Les Miserables. I'm thinking it's done on a boat but not too sure about that.

Sorry, I'm absolutely *no help* on Nice.

If you have any questions about the tours I mentioned, please feel free to e-mail me.

A bientot,
Mary
Jan 24th, 2007, 08:52 AM

If you don't like hot weather, I wouldn't recommend going to Nice in July. It's quite hot, even for a sun worshipper like me, and it's not unusual for daytime temps to reach into the high 80s and sometimes the 90s.

Of course you can cool off by going to one of the beach clubs along the Promenade des Anglais for the day, but if heat bothers you, I think May or early June would be better.

As far as walking goes, you can do as little or as much as you want. A tourist train runs from one end of town to the other, and I think you can hop on and off as much as you want.

Also, there are lots of benches available along the long promenade that faces the sea, so you can always take a short ( or long) break there.

And if you book a hotel that's close to Old Nice, you'll have plenty of shopping and restaurant options without going too far.

Taxis are pretty plentiful, although expensive! for visits to museums.

Anyway, have a great time!
Jan 24th, 2007, 09:03 AM

Honestly, if I were you, I'd save Paris and Nice for next summer, as a reward to yourself for a successful recovery from your hip replacement. This year, I'd maybe choose a cruise, or a resort on a gorgeous beach, or an area with gorgeous drives and vistas (maybe Costa Rica).

Part of the charm of Paris to me is walking, walking walking. I'd be too frustrated if I couldn't do that. However, in Costa Rica, I had a suite at the Lost Iguana in the Arenal area with rocking chairs on a patio that overlooked a tiny pond, and had a view of flowers and exotic birds, with an active volcano in the background and a hot tub on the patio. I could have spent hours and hours on end, drnnking Costa Rican coffee, watching the birds, watching the volcano, enjoying the hot tub. To me, THAT would be a great trip that wouldn't involve a ton of walking.
Jan 24th, 2007, 09:07 AM

Paris: buy a one-day Mobilis pass (or a 7-day Carte Orange if you will be there for at least three days starting on a Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday).

Research the bus system a little. Here's some lore to get you started (Adobe.com reader required):

A map of tourist sights and the bus lines that serve them: http://www.ratp.info/orienter/f_plan...reseaux&fm=pdf

A map of the entire bus network overlaid on a street map: http://www.ratp.info/orienter/f_plan...secteur&fm=pdf

A schematic view of the network: http://www.ratp.info/orienter/f_plan...reseaux&fm=pdf

A detailed plan of a single route (change the number at the end for other routes): http://www.ratp.info/orienter/f_plan...=pdf&nompdf=42

The N° 42 shown in the map immediately above passes many of the principal sights from Gare du Nord to the Eiffel Tower. Also see the N° 69 from there to the N° 24 that runs up and down both sides of the river. Or the N° 82 through Montparnasse over to Luxembourg Gardens.

The great thing about buses is that you don't have to climb down in the ground and back out, and transfers often take place at the same stop, whereas the Métro makes you walk and walk to change lines. You can also see where you're going, and jump off any time you see something that intrigues you.

Good luck.
Jan 24th, 2007, 09:16 AM

the buses are the best solution for you, i believe.

the bus tour to start out with and then forget the steps/escalators at the metros.. a real pain.. but learn the buses and then take an occasional taxi. you will see so much more above ground IMHO.

i just returned with my 80 year old very slow walking operated mom, and she did just fine this way.

if your hotel is centrally located, you will never have an expensive taxi ride home at night. maybe 6-10 euros.

Jan 24th, 2007, 09:23 AM

If the tram in Nice ever gets finished, you won't need to walk so much. But I walk so that I can stop and shop. The boardwalk is fun to walk and there are chairs and benches along the way. The view at night from the boardwalk is just beautiful.

Search this Thread