Paris in 4 hours? Are you crazy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, I'm not crazy. Please let me explain. My sister and her husband will be on a cruise in April that will include an opportunity to be shuttled to and from Paris, but the time in Paris will be limited to 4 hours. My sister wants to go so she and her husband can decide whether or not Paris is their "cup of tea" and a place they'd like to return for a long visit at another time. If you had to suggest a 4-hour tour for just a taste of Paris, what would you include? I'm trying to suggest a good-weather itinerary and an alternative bad-weather itinerary. They will be dropped off and picked up at the Place de la Concorde. They are willing to walk, take the Metro and/or take cabs. I've visited Paris three times, a week each time, but I'd love to hear what other people think of as must-sees for a 4-hour visit. (Challenging, isn't it!)
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 10:52 AM

They can walk to the Grand Palais and pick up Les Cars Rouges (those big old two story buses that used to be from London) and go for a tour getting on and off at certain sites.
www.carsrouges.com
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 11:03 AM

If "I" had only 4 hours, the first stop would be at a Laduree's to get my chocolate macaroons. Then I would hop on the metro to the Eiffel Tour and snap a picture, just because that is what most people think of, when you mention Paris.(if this was my first visit)
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 11:32 AM

If I had only four hours in Paris I would do one of two things, either walk and walk, probably along the
Touilleries gardens, from the Louvre to Place de la Concorde. Look for a nice cafe out doors, sit down to catch my breath and then continue to walk. Probably towards Place Vandome.

THe other option if I love to eat, I would have an unforgettable lunch in a nice place. By far I prefer the first option, rain or shine. If it rains it is Paris so I would take an umbrella just in case. Good luck.
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 11:41 AM

I also would try to do one of those overview tour bus things to see a lot of the city and just get a feel for it. If the weather is fine, one can be in the top part and see a lot. Those may sound corny, but I actually enjoy those a lot.

I really wouldn't spend time eating lunches in restaurants, which will take up several hours in itself. I don't think that gives you any feel for Paris as a city. At least not much at all, but I just think it's not a good use of a limited time to see a city and base an investment of potentially thousands of dollars based on that.
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 11:57 AM
ira

Hi GP,

4 hrs is NOT a good way to discover if you like Paris.

However, if the weather isn't quite right, I suggest spending the time at the Orangerie Museum.
http://www.discoverfrance.net/France...rangerie.shtml

If it is nice weather, I suggest walking through the Tuilieris to the Louvre. Exit the Louvre and walk down to the Pont des Arts.

Cross the Seine and walk along the Quai to the Pont Neuf.

Go up to the street and contunue walking along the Seine, past the bookstalls, to Notre Dame.

That's about a 0:45 hr stroll.

Time for lunch either across from Notre Dame, on the Ile St Louis or on the Il de la Cite'

Walk back on the D'Orsay side of the river to Pl Concord.

Also see www.batobus.com.

Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 01:28 PM

First choice would be a bus tour of the city. The big names are Cityrame and Parisvision. They have multiple tours. Their location is central Paris, near the Louvre..so easy walk from Place de La Concorde.

www.pariscityrama.com
en.parisvision.com

The only issue might be timing issues between when they get there and when the tours operate. Filing time around the tour might mean looking at Champs Elysee, going to Place Vendome, Tuilereis Gardens, Palais Royale,etc..

Or..if they like walking, and Paris being a nice walking city...

From Place de La Concorde..admire Champs Elysee, walk through gardens of the Tuileries. Walk down to the pyramid entrance of the Louvre and enjoy the outside of the building. Then head down to the Seine and walk along the river, heading east. Cross over and spend a bit of time on the Pont des Arts, watching the artists and lovers. Nice views from here. Once on the Left Bank, carry on along the Seine. Browse the bouquinistes who have their stalls set up here, perhaps buying an old print. When they get to Pont St Michel, cross over to Ile de la Cite, an indirect route to Notre Dame. As they walk along, check out on their left the line-up for St Chapelle. If not busy, go see the nicest stained glass windows in all of Paris. Carry on down the street, see Palais de Justice and the towers of the Conciergerie, Marie Antoinette's last home before the cart came to take her to be guillotined at our starting point, Place de la Concorde. Turn right on the street in front of the Palais and head to Notre Dame Cathedral. .

Once at Cathdral, enjoy the gargoyles and carvings that are abundant (check above door entrances).This is mile zero for France, where a distances are measured from. Make a visit, then keep on going in same direction (back of Notre Dame), the Deportation memorial is along the way if they want to visit, then cross over to Ile St Louis.

Time permitting, there is a nice brasserie just at the bridge between the islands. It has outdoor tables, and you can sit, look at the dome of the Pantheon in the distance (burial place of many important people), back view of Notre Dame and her buttresses in the other direction. Might even be some entertaiment playing at that location.

Spend time on the island browsing shops and checking out the old mansions on the main street of the island (Rothchilds are at the end of the street, Madame Curie lived on the south side of the Island,etc..).

When time is done, cross over Pont Marie bridge back to the Right Bank. The Metro station there will take them directly back to the Louvre and a short walk to Place de la Concorde.

There are of course many other walks that coud be done in that time (Eiffel tower and area, Sacre Coeur and area, Place des Vosges and Marais,etc.) But this one will combine architecture, history, some shopping, some eating and can (I hope) be done, with tweaking, in 4 hrs.
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 01:33 PM

I'm with Ira, but would specify that the crossing back should be on the Pont Solferino back into the Tuileries.
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 02:41 PM
RJD

I would visit Sainte Chappelle and have lunch on the right bank.
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 03:14 PM

bookmarking
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 05:13 PM

Concorde is right in the middle of a target-rich sightseeing area. Within a few minutes walk in one direction are the Tuileries Gardens, Louvre, and Notre Dame cathedral, in another are the Madeleine Church and Opéra, and in a third the Champs Elysees and Arc de Triomphe. The Eiffel Tower and Invalides (Napoleon's Tomb) are across the river south of the Arc.

Go to the ticket counter in the Concorde Métro station (look for the M signs on the north and east sides), and ask for these

Ticket <i>Mobilis</i> Zones 1-2 (for each traveler)
<i>Le Grand Plan de Paris</i>

The first is an unlimited day pass valid on bus, M&eacute;tro, tram, and train within the 20 <i>Arrondissements</i> that make up Paris proper.

The second is a combination bus and M&eacute;tro map that shows all the main streets and sights. You can see them on line to assist your family in planning, here:

http://www.ratp.info/orienter/f_plan..._geo&amp;lang=

http://www.ratp.info/orienter/interf...geo&amp;fm=gif
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 06:06 PM

Weather permitting, I'd walk thru the Tuileries to the Louvre and check out the courtyard and the pyramid. Then I'd walk over to Ste. Chapelle and if the line was short, go in and gape at the stained glass windows. Finally, I'd walk around Notre Dame. I particularly like the little park behind the cathedral - it has a relaxed feel to it while in front it's often so crowded.

During inclement weather, I'd probably go to the Orangerie and then have a hot chocolate at Angelinas.
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 06:25 PM

I'd take a boat ride on the Seine or just stroll along the river.
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 09:58 PM
Original Poster

Merci, everyone, for your thoughtful suggestions. Now, may I ask if you were going to host an American couple for four hours for their first visit to Paris and it was raining heavily, how would you &quot;do Paris&quot; indoors?
Old Dec 24th, 2008, 01:04 AM

The Musee d'Orsay would figure heavily into that four hours. Then with lunch, that would probably be about it.
Old Dec 24th, 2008, 02:05 AM

Even as a museum lover, I'd stay out of museums on such a short first trip and try to get an overview of the outdoor things. Old cities look gorgeous in the rain. If it's pouring rain, see from the inside of a boat or bus.
Old Dec 24th, 2008, 10:39 AM

I agree with Ira--
I would concentrate on the Ile de la Cite and Ile de St. Louis.
This is the historical center of Paris, where it all began.
If you still have time, stoll a little in the Marais district.
Don't even bother with the Champs Elysee or IMO with the Tour Eiffel. Not for a 4 hour trip. Just get a postcard...

Old Dec 24th, 2008, 11:28 AM

Oh, come ON!

From Notre Dame, you can be at the Tour Eiffel in 11 minutes via RER C. I think it would be a shame to be that close without getting a good look at it.

From there, a N&deg; 42 and 92 bus (change at Alma-Marceau) will get you to the Arc in another few minutes.
Old Dec 24th, 2008, 04:47 PM

About the rainy day plan: If I were being dropped off at the Place de la Concorde and it's pouring, I'd hope for a short line at the nearby Orangerie, but I'd probably be hoping in vain... Still, the Monet &quot;immersion&quot; would make me forget about the rain for a while.

Next I would go look for the nearest boat ramp and climb aboard any vessel that is covered over but provides some views. Better than nothing.

Or indeed walk over to the Mus&eacute;e d'Orsay, if the line isn't to bad, get in and walk straight down the middle to the clock at the far end and go up to the top level. At least you would have an hour or two to take in the most awesome collection of impressionists and others of that period.

If time permits, you can then spend some on the lower level, before heading out.

The cafeteria and the &quot;real&quot; restaurant are up top. The gift shop is down below.

If the line at the Orsay is prohibitive and I'm already wet, and if I've never been anywhere near the Eiffel tower, I'd go down below to catch the RER (right next to the Orsay's entrance) to the Champ de Mars/Tour Eiffel (3rd stop) and marvel at it, rain be damned.

Or take it the other way, to the Biblioth&egrave;que F. Mitt&eacute;rand - which is quite a walk from the station and up some considerable stairs, but if my brolly holds up, it could be worth it, there are often stunning exhibits, like the Cartier-Bresson retrospective a few years ago. I'd consult my trusty L'Officiel des Spectacles first, of course.

But let's hope for good weather; even the loop from Concorde to Etoile to Eiffel Tower to Pont de l'Alma back to Concorde is feasible on foot in 4 hours, and you can't really get lost when aiming at those kinds of high-visibility targets.

Old Dec 25th, 2008, 09:18 AM

How about alternatives to Paris? I don't disagree with others that 4 hours in Paris is okay, but I assume NOT going to Paris would mean 7-8 hours doing something else.

That may be a better choice if you think you will return to Paris some other time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -