Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

suggestions for a single female traveller?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have suggestions for a single woman who's hesitant to travel through continental Europe on her own? So far I've done it with a tour group, but tours often don't go to the places I really want to see. I have no problem whatsoever traveling the U.S. on my own. I guess the scary factor for me is the language barrier and just being by myself in unknown regions.
Old May 12th, 2006, 12:17 PM

Susan,

I too am a single female traveler. You have very little to be concerned about. How much of a "language barrier" you find will depend mainly on what countries you visit.

I had never been to France and do not speak French. I flew in, trained to Chartres, picked up a rental car and drove around the Loire Valley solo for 4 days. Basically no problems aside from a few extra u turns.

My last trip to Italy was solo for 3 weeks. I had a great time, but had been to Italy twice before. If you do a search for Dayle's Solo Trip to Italy, you should get some good ideas and encouragement from other Fodorites who also travel solo.

You'll love solo travel far more the a tour group.
Happy planning!
Old May 12th, 2006, 12:18 PM
ira

Hi S,

>I have no problem whatsoever traveling the U.S. on my own. I guess the scary factor for me is the language barrier and just being by myself in unknown regions. <

I take it, then, that you are familiar with every square inch of the 6,000,000 sq. miles of the US?

If you can go on your own in the States, you can surely do it in Europe.

Old May 12th, 2006, 12:59 PM

Where would you like to travel? Do you mind saying how old you are? That might help people advise you on how easy and comfortable it would be for a single female traveler.

For starters, there is no language barrier in the UK, Ireland (if you can understand them), or most of Scandinavia.

Nora
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:09 PM

I've taken multiple solo trips to France and Italy, as well as one each to Spain, London, and Scotland.

I speak enough French and Italian to get by, but my Spanish is quite limited. I try to brush up as best I can on the language of the country I'll be visiting before I go there, and have managed just fine.

Every one of my solo trips has been wonderful, and I encourage you to give it a try!
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:17 PM

Susan, you'll be fine traveling solo in Europe. I've been to Paris 3 times and London once and never had a problem. My next trip is to Rome, Florence, Venice and Paris so I am going to try and hunt up Dayle's solo trip to Italy thread.

Go and enjoy yourself
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Dayle and Lesli, for the encouragement. To answer Nora's question, I'm a youthful 55. I guess I've been concerned about flat tires and such in the middle of the French countryside. (Are AAA cards good there? -- Just kidding) But I agree with what most of you have said. I'm sure I would manage just fine. I've taken buses and trains in the UK by myself (in my 30s) and handled it just fine; so I guess it's the language barrier, more than anything else, that worries me.
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:25 PM

I think it's natural to feel that way, I did myself when I first started traveling -- because I had never been outside the country before, although I thought I was fairly capable. Still, it's not the same as when you are many thousands of miles from home, alone, and can't communicate.

You don't say where your tour group went, that's what I did to start so I learned a little about traveling abroad and how to handle some things. I'd just suggest you start out in an easy place -- at the easiest, you could go to places where English is the native language, of course (but I guess you don't want that, as you said continental Europe). The Netherlands was real easy in that regard (language differences), you could try that. I did have some problems in France when I didn't know French so won't say things like everyone speaks French, no problem, you won't even notice they are French, etc. However, I can give you tips not to do some things I did which caused me problems, and then it should be fairly easy if you stick to major cities (like Paris), and stay in the central area.

Major tip -- don't go without hotel reservations. This was the most important thing that would have made my trip easier, if I had reservations.

Also, to reduce anxiety, don't plan a lot of train travel involving a lot of transfers in places where you don't know the language (you will not be able to understand the announcements -- I missed my train once because it had changed tracks at the last minute). I also had never been on a train before, so just kind of didn't know how that worked. That was one place I found in France where everyone, including in Paris, did NOT speak English, even though people will say that.
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Madison. I forgot to mention, I walked all over Paris on my own, visiting three museums, two cathedrals and cafes(I was on a tour of France and Italy, but free time was built into the tour). That certainly gave me confidence. I guess getting from city to city (or to the airport) on my own is a concern. Is it much of a hassle?
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:27 PM

I didn't see your post -- well, I wouldn't have suggested starting out by planning solo trips in the country in a car rental in a strange country where you don't know the language.
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:31 PM
ira

Hi S,

>I guess getting from city to city (or to the airport) on my own is a concern. Is it much of a hassle? <

Not really.

You arrive at the airport, go throough passport control and Customs. Follow the signs that look like taxis.

Same is true for railroad stations.

If you want to save money, that takes a little more preparation.

What's your itinerary?

Old May 12th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Another of Nora's questions I forgot to answer: My first priority is to see the alpine region, paricularly Hallstatt, Salzburg, Lake Como, lovely Swiss towns, and maybe Munich. I would eventually like to see Venice and the Cinque Terre.
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

And thank you, Christina. Great suggestions.
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:43 PM

Susan,

You could have a wonderful time traveling to the places you mentioned in Austria and all over Switzerland by train. That would be much easier than trying to cope with car rental by yourself. I think many of us here would be only too happy to come up with recommendations for "lovely Swiss towns" you could visit, plus lodging and hiking recommendations. You'll have trouble shutting us up! Just start a new thread asking for recommendations for "Hallstadt, Salzburg, and Switzerland".

I travel there with my family, but several times have done parts of the trip on my own, and I can assure you that this part of Europe is very easy and comfortable for a woman traveling alone.
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Ira,
As mentioned, the alps. Can one get to Hallstatt without renting a car?
Old May 12th, 2006, 02:42 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Why not start with an easy first trip? You could fly into Geneva, see the small towns along the lake, continue by train to Venice, fly home from Venice. I've done that solo. It's lovely and not complicated. I have done 5 trips, 4 of them solo (I do stay with friends part-time then go off on my own). I have never had even a hint of a problem (Amsterdam, Paris, Geneva, Venice).

To take down the 'scary factor' don't rent a car. Travel by public transportation. Trains in Switzerland couldn't be easier.

As far as the language barrier, I firmly believe that is a state-of-mind. Depending on how you plan ahead, it's not like you need to be chatting in the street with folks. In train stations, banks, hotels, at least one clerk will speak English. In restaurants you can simply point to the menu item and smile.

I have taken numerous classes in basic travelers French and Spanish and carry a phrase book and dictionary.

As far as being by yourself in unknown regions, that's not something any of us can judge for you. Me, I LOVE the feeling. I find it absolutely and totally exhilarating. Will you enjoy it? There's only one way to find out -LOL.

To ease the aloneness, if you find the need, you can always sign up for day tours in various cities, take guided tours for museums, like that. There's a poster here who did some hiking tour in Switzerland recently, hopefully P_M will see you post and chime in.

For myself I love nothing more than wandering around a city where I have never been before, far from home, where I don't speak the language. It's exciting (puts it mildly).
Old May 12th, 2006, 02:48 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
To get to the airport... well in Switzerland the train takes you right there. In other cities, Amsterdam or Paris, for example, I simply spring for the price of a taxi (arriving you just stand at the line up at the taxi stand, leaving I have my hotel call one for me).
Old May 12th, 2006, 03:34 PM

Susan,

Yes, you can get to Hallstatt by train. It is about 2 hours from Salzburg. You can get to Salzburg from Zürich in about 6 hours on a train with no changes. A good place for you to start if you are thinking about this is to look at the Deutschebahn (German railway) website, www.bahn.de
Click on "international guests" at the top and you will get everything in English. Just put in made up dates, for next month for example, and different starting and ending points in Switzerland and then Salzburg. It will show you lots of options. There are other websites for train travel, but I find the German one easiest to use.

You can catch a train right in the airport in either Geneva or Zurich. I find traveling by train in Switzerland to be just about the easiest and most enjoyable travel in the world. And you can get to some wonderful car-free villages high in the Swiss Alps---as well as to Hallstatt.
Old May 12th, 2006, 04:34 PM

I've traveled solo as well as with family and the solo travel can be wonderful.

I used to avoid continental Europe because my language skills other than Spanish are minimal. I was sorry I waited so long. However, it can work out fine. Some tips:

1. I agree about reserving ahead; what I do is print out the name and address of the hotel on an index card and then show it to the taxi driver (as noted above not hard to find the taxi stands at airports or train stations).

2. I also agree about reserving ahead or at least identifying the train trips you want to take in order to select the journey with the least transfers and to get a sense of how to read the train info -- knowing how to read the departures, track numbers, etc. really helps. And as noted above, there's going to be someone at the train station who knows enough English to help.
Old May 12th, 2006, 06:09 PM

Have traveled alone in europe many times (usually several days before or after a business trip when the beau couldn't get away from the office).

My recos for a first lone trip:

Go somewhere where you can either manage a little of the language (you can easily learn enough in 2/3 weeks) or english is widely spoken (I wouldn;t do someplace with a different alphabet)

Stay at a large full service hotel that's in a good neighborhood - the concierge will be very helpful and you have the option of a meal in the hotel if you want. Also - many opportunities to meet other single travelers - many on business. (I have usually ended up meeting people to have a meal or go somewhere with.)

Make sure you're fully prepared before you go - with maps, guidebooks and solid ideas of what you want to see and do

Seek out casuale restaurants - dining alone in expensive places is less fun

Take advantage of local tours - city walking tours are great experiences and also good for meeting other single travelers - and day trips from major cities can make life simpler

And don't be overfaced - it's not brain surgery. Considering the number of people that do it how hard can it be?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -