Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Suggestions for 2 week vacation in scandanavia?

Suggestions for 2 week vacation in scandanavia?

Aug 19th, 2003, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Suggestions for 2 week vacation in scandanavia?

My husband & I are going Sept 26th for two weeks. We would like to stick to Denmark and Norway. We want a mix of city and quaint areas. Any suggestions of lodging and itinerary would be helpful.
Thanks
Aug 19th, 2003, 12:19 PM

We recently returned from a 3-week trip to Scandinavian countries. You definately must do "Norway in a Nutshell" (betw. Oslo and Bergen)and I'd suggest to stay in Stalheim Hotel after the fjord boat ride. Norway is a magnificent country ! We liked Oslo a lot. Also Bergen,it certainly qualifies as a "quaint" place, though a city.
You are wise to limit your 2 weeks to 2 countries !
You'll love it.
Aug 19th, 2003, 02:03 PM

There's a program in Denmark called Dine with a Dane that can be arranged as few as 2 days in advance. I have done this twice and found that both families I dined with were extremely knowledgable about travel and tourism within Denmark and were able to give me driving itineraries that were truly remarkable.

Try this email address:
[email protected]

Aug 19th, 2003, 04:53 PM

Hey Snoopy, the "Dine with a Dane" program sounds really interesting. Do you know of any other countries that have something like this, particularly France? Thanks.

(Sorry for crashing in pinkie.)
Aug 26th, 2003, 07:51 AM

Previous posting said to stay at the Stalheim hotel while on the Norway in a Nutshell tour. I agree, and wished we had planned it that way. We went from Oslo to Bergen in one day. It is a long day, but not bad. You take a bus back up to the main rail line once you leave the fjord. Make sure you get a bus that stops at that hotel, even if you aren't staying there...the scenery on the way up is spectacular! You reach that hotel about 4 or 5 pm, and would have been a nice place to stay the night. We continued to Bergen. Loved Bergen and Oslo both. Picked up a car in Bergen and drove along a fjord, and down to the southernmost coastline, then took a ferry across to northern Denmark. If you go to Denmark, it is worth it to stay a night on the Island of Aero. Like going back in time. We didn't take the car over to Aero.
Copenhagen was neat....but liked Stockholm much much better. Email me if you want more tips.
Aug 28th, 2003, 11:01 AM

Like Jenny we were on Grand Circle Tour but a month later. This focused on five cities but involved some touch of quaint areas. So just two countries good for two weeks.

I would think you could base travel in Copenhagen with some jaunts out from there, same in Oslo and Bergen. Depends on how active you want to be and what kind of sightseeing. Norway in a Nutshell was mentioned and can be done in one long day I think, but if you want to take express train directly from Oslo to Bergen you can do fjords cruise out of Bergen. Yes, Bergen is itself quaint and you can find other places, too, to explore.

Regarding Stockholm, it is a much bigger city and I think takes more time to appreciate. Again geting out of the city would be good.

Bill in Springfield, MO

Aug 29th, 2003, 06:49 AM

If you intend to drive I would suggest renting a car in Copenhagen and drive up to Aarhus and Skagen. Take the ferry to Kristiansand and drive the Setesdal valley and Hardangerfjord to Bergen. From Bergen I would suggest driving to the Jostedal Glacier in Luster (to Sogndal either via Balestrand or Flom). Continue through the Jotunheimen Mountains to Otta and on to Oslo. From Oslo it?s a long drive to Copenhagen on good roads.

Just a note: The trollstigen road north of Geiranger was closed yesterday due to falling Rocks and will not be reopened this year.
Aug 29th, 2003, 06:55 AM

I did this loop from Aarhus two years ago for my summervacation.

Search this Thread