Need advice-10days Denmark / Norway

Old Mar 4th, 2004, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice-10days Denmark / Norway

Hi! Planning a trip to Copenhagen & Norway in early April. Need suggestions:
1. how many days to stay in which cities? We prefer out-of-the-way, scenic routes, rather than spending time in large cities. We will rent a car and take ferry as most of them recommended. Can someone help us to lay out our itinerary?
2. Should we fly to Copenhagen and fly back from Bergen?
3. Which city is a good starting point for Norway in a Nutshell?
4. How's the weather in early April?
5. For how long do they celebrate Easter holiday; will a lot of places close for weeks before/after Easter?
Any other suggestions you can offer on this trip would be greatly appreciated.

Old Mar 4th, 2004, 05:16 PM

This past summer, we flew into Oslo, took the N in nutshell tour across to Bergen. (wonderful). 2 nights in Bergen, then picked up a car and drove south, along a fjord (I don't have my maps handy...also very beautiful) to the southernmost point. Took the ferry across to Denmark. 2 nights on the island of Aero (didn't take the car across, altho you can)...then on to Copenhagen. Actually, from there we went on to Stockholm, but that is not your plan. Email me if you want more specifics.
The journey south (am I remembering correctly..the stedestal valley?) was some of the most unique topography that we had ever seen. Sometimes I thought I was on the moon. You are above the tree line for some of that drive, so you should check on conditions for April. We were there in June.
[email protected]
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 04:33 AM
ira

t
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 04:44 AM

I haven't yet gone, but I was doing some research for a possible trip in the summer.

If you're flying from NYC, I believe that SAS flies direct into Copenhagen from only -- so anywhere else in Scandinavia you'll probably need to connect. So Copenhagen certainly makes sense as a hub. Oslo, Copenhagen and Bergen are well linked with air connections.

As far "Nutshell" is concerned, supposedly the best part is the Flam railway. So you can do a round-trip from Bergen, or do this from Bergen to Oslo or Oslo to Bergen. (One of these directions offers the better view on the Flam railway, but I can't remember which one -- search in the archives.)

Another region that's supposed to be spectacular is the Geiranger region in Norway -- again, check the archives for suggestions.

Have lots of fun.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 05:20 AM

The N in nutshell is a great trip. Here are a few tips.
Going from Oslo, the train leaves early. The first 3 or 4 hours are not much for scenery, so you can sleep or read.
I didn't think there was much difference as to which side of the car you picked for a seat on the Flam. I wouldn't worry about it.
Take LOTS of film or media for a camera.
When you get off the ship, you catch a bus back up to the main train line. Apparently, there are 2 buses that get you there, but one stops for 15 min or so at the Stalheim hotel. Make SURE you catch THAT bus. The view on the drive up to that hotel is spectacular.

The trip is a pretty long day. If I were to do it over again, I might spend the night at that Stalheim hotel, to enjoy the view and break up the day.
Well, it is a long day, but not unbearable. don't hesitate to do it all in one day, but if you have the time to spend the night there, it would be neat.
EK
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 10:08 AM

If you dont want to stay in Copenhagen, rent a car and cruise the island of Saelland. See the chalk cliffs of Mon in the south, Koge, Kronborg Castle, Roskilde Cathederal, the Viking Museum, Fredensborg Castle, Fredriksberg Castle, Esrum Kloster . . .

You could see all you want to see in three to five days. Unless you've been there, however, you probably ought to spend a couple of days in Copenhagen. It's not really a "big" city in the pejorative sense.

Have fun.