Help - Norway / Sweden - Itinerary

Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help - Norway / Sweden - Itinerary

Please help! I am going to be going to Norway in a few weeks. I have wanted to go for years. I have the flights but need help with an itinerary. I am flying in to Oslo on a Monday and out the following Monday. I have a few questions.
I was thinking:
Monday: Oslo
Tuesday: Oslo
Wednesday: Norway in Nutshell - Wed Evening Stay Somewhere Along the Route. (Where??)
Thursday: Continue into Bergen - Stay in Bergen Thurs Evening
Friday Bergen - Night Train to Oslo
Sat: Oslo
Sun: Oslo

Any thoughts?
Should I buy the nutshell pass or buy a scanrail pass?

Should I buy the official nutshell package or buy a scanrail pass?

Should I just use scanrail and take the train from Oslo to Bergen or do the full nutshell itinerary?

Should I be going Anywhere else? Trondheim? maybe a train to Stockholm?

I could also do:
2 Days in Oslo
2 Days in Stockholm
2 Days in Bergen

PLEASE HELP!!! Thanks soo much!
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 05:38 AM

2 years ago we did the train from Stockholm to Oslo( the Linx). It takes over 5 hours and the landscape is nothing special. In retrospect, it was a mistake and I wish we would have stayed in Stockholm which is a fabolous city. My recommendation would be that you use your week to do Oslo and travel to nearby points like Bergen etc.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 06:34 AM

Hi, We spent a week in Norway in 2002. We flew into Bergen and out of Oslo. You might have a few too many days in Oslo. Oslo is great but I assume you are going there to see the scenery.

Look into taking a day or 2 day cruise into the fjords. We went up the coast and into various fjords that were unbeleivably gorgeous.

This website might give you some ideas of where to go:
http://www.fjord-tours.com/flam-railway/

You will not be disappointed in your trip - it is gorgeous!
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 06:45 AM

We did a similar trip a couple of years ago and found that one day in Oslo was enough. Norway in a Nutshell is an excellent choice, and you can do it in one day if you want. It was about 4 hours by train from Oslo to Myrdal, through the beautiful Hallingdal Valley. You have to make a very quick change of train at Myrdal for the 45 minute trip down to Flam - incredible views. At Flam we boarded a ferry for a 2 hour trip on the Naeroyfjorden to Gudvangen, then a full size motorcoach for the trip to Voss. The final leg was another train to Bergen in the early evening. It was a long day and could be broken up by an overnight if you wished (probably in Voss). But definitely a wonderful journey and well worth the cost.
Bergen is incredible, but I've been told is the rainiest city in NOrway, so be prepared. Trondheim is also very nice if you have time,but the trip into the fjords suggested by Mikki is probably a great idea. Have a great trip!
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Author: rhokanson
Date: 03/23/2005, 11:18 am

So, is it safe to say that I should stay in Norway for the week?

2 Days Oslo
2 Days Bergen
and maybe 2 Days in Trondheim or Stavanger?

Any recommendations for the third city?

Any recommendations for Voss or Aurdland for a stayover on the Nutshell Tour? Or should I do Oslo to Bergen and stay in Bergen?

Would it be worth going to Stockholm for 2 days or should I save Stockholm for another trip?

Thanks for all of your help

Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 07:24 AM

I spent 4 full days in Oslo and didn't see it all.

The National Fine Arts Museum is excellent.

"Vigeland" Park with his bronze sculptures is spectacular on a sunny day.

The art deco city hall is some of the best art deco I've seen.

The Munch Museum was for the Impressionism lover in me.

The WWII Resistance Museum on the grounds of the old fort is very good.

The train ride out to Holmenkolmen had some great views. Holmenkolmen has the ski jump from an old Olympics, a ski museum and excellent views.

The ferry ride over to Bygdoy Peninsula affords excellent views of the city. On Bygdoy:

- the maritime museum, Fram museum and Kontiki museum were fascinating.

- the old church that has centuries old Nordic boats on display.

- the "pioneer" village that shows historic Norwegian life is filled with interesting buildings and displays. Especially the wooden "stave" Christian church.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 08:32 AM

The Stalheim hotel is a great place to stay after the Norway in a Nutshell tour. Most busses stop there to let you admire the view. You can then continue on to Bergen in the morning. You can also consider spending more time on the fjords. For example, you can take a boat/ferry to the Sognefjord from the Stalheim and spend another night there. Another ferry will take you to Bergen. We enjoyed the fjords more than Bergen, although Bergen is an enjoyable city. We've seen many cities, but not many fjords.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 08:55 AM

Stockholm is the CROWN JEWEL of northern Europe!

If you have less than 4/5 days to spend in Stockholm, you should definitely save it for another trip!

I hope you're only ditching it for AVERAGE Oslo 'cause you're there on business, or perhaps know someone there!
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 11:18 AM

rhokanson: With the time you have, stick to Norway. Stockholm is a jewell, but you couldn't do it justice in the time you have.
Spend two days in Oslo (pleasant enough, but not on a par with Stockholm.
Spens a day doing the waterfront, museums (Resistance Museum and Munch, as noted, are exceptional. Spend the second day with a ferry ride to the Viking Museum, the Kontiki exhibit and the Skansen with all the lovely old buildings and shops to wander through and observe. Again, as noted, the Stave Church is exceptional. On the third day take the Nutshell tour with the idea of going through to Bergen. Stop in route and stay at the Stalheim Hotel for an evening of staring at the fjord. The next morning continue to Bergen. Spend that day and the next at Bergen (plenty to see and do.
On the next day, take a cruise up the Sogne Fjord and, perhaps, stay the night at Flam. This is a lot of fjords, but if you are anything like us, you won't be able to get enough. Spectacular!
The next day return to Bergen, perhaps take a trip out onto the islands for old farmsteads and a wonderful 12th century church with a compelling tale to be told (buses from Bergen do go out there). Take the train to Oslo, a very beautiful trip, so you might want to take it late afternoon.
Another option instead of the Sogne Fjord trip would be a cruise up the coast (one day up and one day back) and the only reason I don't recommend this one more emphatically, is that it is better with more time.
This itinerary saves a lot of backtracking. You won't have to rent a car. And, you will have a wonderful time. Have a great trip.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

You have all been so very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to share your ideas and suggestions. I will update you when I get back!
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 08:44 AM

I just wanted to plug a wonderful hotel in Balestrand - www.kviknes.no

We took a ferry there from Bergen and spent some time there hiking and enjoying the gorgeous scenery.

By the way, in Oslo we really liked the Kon-Tiki museum and the "pioneer" village.

You must do the Norway in a Nutshell trip! I am so jealous of you - I would love to go back.