Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Stylish 25F needs desperate help picking a comfy walking shoe

Jun 15th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

I am a Stylish 25 yr-old Female and need desperate help picking a comfy walking shoe. I am not a fan of white tennis shoes but am willing to bend the rules if the shoe errs on the site of cute.

Please help, I am leaving in 1 week and only have a pair of flip flops packed for 4 weeks of a European trip.
Jun 15th, 2006, 09:11 AM
hsv

Puma has sneakers in a variety of colours that are pretty stylish.

I also like the classics of Timberland that never seem to be unfashionable (at least from my male point of view).
Jun 15th, 2006, 09:14 AM

There are many, many cute walking sandals that are fine for walking. In the summer that's all I take for city walking. Brands such as Mephisto, Dansko, Ecco, Teva, ... even Cole Haan makes some. There are a number of discussion threads on this topic if you look.
Jun 15th, 2006, 09:32 AM

I'll top an old post about walking shoes for you "Best walking shoes". It should answer all your questions. My trusty old pals are my Finn Comforts that I bought in Europe (Brown Croc. stlye leather) much better selection/stylish than what you find in the States for the same brand. And Finns come with a reflexology insert to massage your feet at the end of the day. My advise, if you are leaving in 1 week (depending on where you are going)I would pack a pair of worn comfortable shoes. With all the walking you will be doing in Europe, your trip is not the time to break in a new pair of shoes (Blisters!) France, Spain, Portugal, Germany, and especially Italy make wonderful shoes. If your itinerary allows you time for shopping, I would just pick up a cute pair while in Europe to wear for a few hours or to nice places, and have the old broken in shoes on standby. Besides most of the high end brands made for walking are imported from Europe and usually less expensive (Danskos, Finns, Mephisto's, ect).
I travel to Europe minimum of twice a year and I always bring two pair of walking shoes to alternate. It helps prevent my feet from getting sore or blisters.

Jun 15th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

does anyone have experience walking in keds? im thinking this shoe

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/7345753/c/50300.html
Jun 15th, 2006, 10:52 AM

I love the Puma and Diesel tennis shoes. They're form fitting and the colors are fun.
Jun 15th, 2006, 11:49 AM

I think those shoes are cute and would be fine for some of the time, but they have absolutely no support, so I would definitely not consider them a "walking shoe".

I would take your flip flops, those keds, and find one more pair of something sturdier say by Ecco, Puma, Sketchers, etc.
Jun 15th, 2006, 11:57 AM

I wouldn't worry about support so much if you can walk around for hours in flip flops. If the shoe has a cushioned sole at all, you will probably be fine.
Jun 15th, 2006, 12:00 PM

Skechers has a bunch of cute Mary Jane and smilar styles in a whole variety of colors. Very comfy for walking and cute enough for skirts as well as pants. (Have been stopped at least 3/4 times by women looking for something similar.)

I got mine on ebay at a huge discount - but if you go to their web site they can tell you where to find them locally - or buy on-line.
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:01 PM

The other problem with the Keds, although cute, is that the top of the shoe is too low on your foot - you'll get awful blisters there - or at least I would! There are so many cute shoe options out there, you'll find something, but make sure you wear them a LOT before you go and do some serious walking in them. If your flip flops are comfy and you're used to walking a lot in them, just stick with them.

And don't let anyone tell you to leave your high heel sandals at home. You'll want them for going out and there are always cabs!
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:09 PM

My favourites are Clarks, but I've heard good things about Camper. They're more expensive than regular shoes, but they are fashionable and comfortable.
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:17 PM

I think Puma Speed Cats (or similar) would work. I wore an Adidas equivalent for walking around Europe, and found that they were lightweight (so I didn't get tired of walking) and springy enough for hours of walking.
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:32 PM

I'm 25 too, I have the same dilemma trying to find stylish shoes for my trip to Vegas. I bought a pair of aerosoles sandals with the thick, bouncy suede type material on the bottom. SO comfy! They have a leather thong with a cute buckle on the side. $39.99 from zappos.com

I also second the Puma and Sketchers recommendations. I love my maryjane sketchers and you can wear them w/ pants, skirts, shorts, whatever. Theyre onsale at Victorias Secret online for $44 (i thought of buying another pair for Vegas so I saw them on there today)
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:53 PM

GEOX or Tod's for me.
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:59 PM

Paul Green -- get them at Zappo's
Jun 15th, 2006, 02:11 PM

My 17 yo daughter usually lives in flip flops and the like with no problem. In London in March she wore cute Adidas shoes. They don't have much in the way of a thick sole, and her feet, especially her arches, HURT. I was the "bad foot" person on the trip (custom orthotics, etc.) but her feet were just as tired and sore as mine.

So, my recommendation is to get a shoe that laces or velcros and has a bit of arch support and some thickness in the sole. There are tons of adorable shoes out there that fit the bill. I would think that any decent sized shoe department would work if you don't have foot problems. Of course, Zappos has a million shoes, but with only a week you won't be able to go through the try on-and-return process.
Jun 15th, 2006, 02:15 PM

I hear you! I suggest Clarks, Born. Be careful of Keds b/c they are heavy. Also Naturalizer thinks it's comfy and it is when you first put them on but they don't offer solid support IMHO on cobblestones.
Jun 15th, 2006, 03:15 PM

I have seen your cute Keds shoe - love the color/pattern too!

I recently purchased this model:
http://www.isabellabird.com/jump.jsp...age=1&onePage=

It is a Clark's Privo it is a great little sneaker similar in shape to the Keds but with a thick sole & more support for longer walking.
Jun 15th, 2006, 03:18 PM

I also think Nauralizers are great. I wore a pair of brand new Easy Spirit in Rome and did a lot of walking. Great shoes. If you don't have time, just go to a good store like Nordstrom and let your feet tell you which ones are good. Wear those shoes for the entire week to break them in. I also tried shoe shopping in Italy but bought nothing because Italian shoes are made for looks but not for comfort.

Depending on your destinations, not wearing sneakers or casual sandals is a wise idea because otherwise you may be seated next to the restrooms at restaurants or be given funny stares. Many Europeans dress up seriously to go to restaurants.