women's shoes in Europe

Search

women's shoes in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2004, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
women's shoes in Europe

From reading the thread on Clothes in Europe I know that many scoff at those of us who even think about the matter. But shoes are an even more serious business. I will be traveling in early May to France, too early for sandals. I want a pair of comfortable walking shoes, would not even consider white athletics, but how about colored cloth lace-ups? I have converse in grey, in purple and in blue. If I take something for evening restaurants, would I stand out as American or in bad taste with my converse during the day in museums and lunch bistros?
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 08:58 AM

humanone:

Take what will make YOU feel good.

Are shoes a serious business for YOU are have you been influenced by all this Fodor bickering?

You give me a clue when you say Converse.

Converse in the colors you mention ROCK!
Every fashion magazine of note is promoting the look. "All" the fashion folks and entertainers are wearing them.

I have had my Canary Yellow ones for a month and I have worn them with a matching yellow trench with slim jeans and a BeBe top.

I have worn them to casual events and when I am at my teens school I was mobbed!

From teens to seniors I get stopped and complimented.

Never imagined I would be afforded the opportunity to write about them on FODORS!

You obiously have a fashion sense.
Sport your CONS...after all European fashion is responsible for the powerful comeback in all those smashing colors!

Now, unfortunately get ready for the small minded, jealous and envious fashion-challanged posters to swarm like hungry locust...

BTW: In Northern California there is a waiting list to get these shoes.
Converse had great success in Europe and had not counted on the USA success.

p.s. The purple ones that you have are awesome...

Happy Packing,
Oaktown Traveler

Old Mar 26th, 2004, 09:00 AM

Buy some here in Italy, I have seen so many wonderful shoes I wish I had more packing room!
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 09:12 AM

My favorite walking shoes are Mephisto and ECCO. I can find the ECCO walking shows here more easily than the Mephisto, and when I do find Mephisto, they cost almost twice as much as in Paris. My husband and I have both bought shoes at Mephisto. There's a great little shop at 78 rue Saints Pères, and both times we've been there, the sales clerk has spoken English, which is helpful when trying on shoes
Best,
Sandy
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 10:03 AM

Oh thanks for confirming my need to wear my jazzy cobalt blue "No Name" tennies ($100 Nordys). After looking at pictures of all the cobblestone streets (plus a possibility of rain) do I need my Gortex trail hikers too?
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 10:10 AM

It cracks me up when we've been to Europe seeing the other Americans in their hiking boots and rugged shoes while all the "native" women are in heels and fancy shoes. A pair of tennis/athletic shoes should be plenty. I've found that comfortable loafer type shoes work the best with the most clothes-you don't see alot of people walking around in trainer/tennis shoes. If anything, they are the more stylish colored gym shoes you see in the stores now.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 04:35 PM

I just came back from Paris this week. Anything goes now. I have seen more denim on younger teens than before. I always wear dark twill pants and recently bought lace up Born shoes to wear. They were very comfortable since you do a lot of walking. I found lace up shoes easier especially if your feet get swollen versus slip on shoes.

Happy Feet
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 06:29 AM

Leaving for Paris Wed and forecast is rainy ovet the next week. Third trip to Paris and never worry about what I wear. My wife is taking her waterproof pink timberlands(pink supporting breast cancer research). Haved learned before that wet feet are no fun. She also has 5 other pair for other occasions. Paris is supposeded to be a fashion center, why so many boring dark colors??
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 06:47 AM

If you really need footwear advice before you travel you need more experience closer to home before you set off internationally!
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 07:49 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Converse seem a fun fashion and comfort choice to me, but they don't have alot of support. I'd take a 2nd pair (along the Merrell or Ecco line) so if you are really doing all-day on-your-feet on-cobblestones type of walking. Plus a 3rd, simple flats for evenings.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 08:39 AM

Are the streets in Provence towns, i.e., St. Remy, Gordes, Menerbes, Moustiers St. Marie, etc, cobblestone? Having broken an ankle in Mexico and rolled my foot off the pavement in Ireland, I'm considering lace-up gortex hikers but they take up a lot of suitcase room. May 1 too cold for sandals?
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 08:55 AM

JERWICK:

I am surprised and very happy to know that another Fodor poster owns the beautiful pink Timberlands!

I have had mine for 4 years. Got them the first day they arrived at the SF Flagship store.

I mentioned in another post that I had these and that on my 32 day journey to Alaska that I wore these and the fire engine red Timberlands.

Totally awesome shoes on women!

I just love the social and fashion consciousness that Timberland is showing for women and women's issues.

The Merrell, Ecco and other very unattractive shoe companys have sold some women on the notion that dull, ugly and boring is the way to walk, travel and dress...A sheer crime.

The cost for those shoes is terrible and the lack of social and fashion consciousness is beyond my grasp.

Jimmy Choo, Manolo, Ferragamo, Keds and many more designers are active in moving women forward in so many ways.

If you do buy the other brands ask them..What have they done for me lately?

They stay under the radar but make tons of money while turning women's feet into spots of blight.

Oaktown Traveler
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 04:01 PM

I'm trying to remember about cobblestone streets in all that many. You will find them in very picturesque areas, but nearly always there's a strip of flat pavement running alongside. I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about what I walk on, but so far I haven't any major problems.

Oaktown Traveler--"the lack of social and fashion consciousness..." does that mean we have to put fashion ahead of comfort? No thanks!
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 04:03 PM

Part of my message vanished.

It should read

I'm trying to remember about cobblestone streets in Provençal villages and don't remember all that many.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 04:10 PM

I have found quite a number of Aerosole and Clarks and Keds in the past few years that are both stylish and comfortable. What I will recommend is not taking mules, or whatever those shoes without back supports are called. I had a semi-frightening experience boarding a train a few years ago, when I was wearing such shoes. One shoe caught on the steps to the train and fell off down into the tracks. A kind gentleman crawled around and got it for me, but I've never worn shoes without solid back since. Maybe for walking to dinner from a hotel, but not for train travel!

And I can't think of anyplace in Provence that I've been where there were lots of cobblestones - maybe Gordes? (it was years ago).
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 04:10 PM

Underhill:

No. That is not what I mean nor is that what anyone should do.

Fashion is comfortable. I do not have one item of clothing or one pair of shoes that are uncomfortable.

My Best,
Oaktown Traveler
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 09:05 PM

I think the footwear question is a very reasonable one. By all means bring shoes you like that are very comfortable and durable. Don't worry about what others may think -- your tired feet will thank you!
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 12:27 AM

Converse trainers are absolutely fine. I live near cobblestone city Antwerp; and while women may wear heels to work and going out in the evening, they are not practical when you're shopping or sightseeing. And nearly all women I see at my kid's school wear some sort of trainers or flat shoes (hogans, todd's converse, prada trainers, nikes; as long as it's comfortable, but not normally white tennis shoes unless you're going play tennis). And if not trainers, they wear boots, mostly flat too.
Hiking shoes are another matter; don't see many of those, unless you're actually going into the mountains.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 12:45 AM

And while we're on the subject; absolutely everyone, young or old, wears jeans too, even to restaurants (but then with a smart top or jacket). Just have a great time, and if you're in doubt; there are lots of shops in France!
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 01:25 AM

Backless shoes are called mules, and as much as I love a great sexy pair, I never wear mine in Europe. I've been lucky to avoid an accident because I know from experience that mules can be dangerous when worn on unfamiliar foundations, especially uneven, centuries old brick and pavement. European cities seem to dictate the more support on your feet, the better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -