Search

stuttgart

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stuttgart

hi gang,
forgot to add on my last message, i will be finishing with one night and half day in stutgart, is there anything in stuttgart of any great interest, i would be interested to hear about everything really. i have heard that there are hot springs there is this correct?
many thanks again
LL
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 11:35 AM

There is a prestigiou modern art museum and loads of Bauhaus architecture - check out the residential area on the east side of town that was in the 1920s i believe one of the world's first example of utilitarian 'workers' tenements - may not have the details exactly right but an interesting area where the then-futuristic houses have gone upscale into a very pleasant and bourgeoise neighborhood.

In Sept Stuttgard stages a vigorous Ocktoberfest in the sprawling park.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 11:37 AM

If it's up your alley, you can visit the Porsche museum.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 11:43 AM

yes that is a great idea - right with the Mercedes-Benz factory tour in suburban Stuttgart - steps from an S-Bahn train station.

German Auto Tours - Mercedes, BMW and Porsche Auto Enthusiast ...Mercedes, Mercedes Benz, Porsche, BMW, Stuttgart, AMG Factory tour, Mercedes Factory tour, BMW Factory Tour, Auto Lovers Dream!
www.germanautotours.com/pure
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 11:47 AM

Or the new Mercedes museum.

The mineral baths are at nearby Bad Cannstatt:

http://tinyurl.com/2jo9ug

This is the Stutgart info website, and you can navigate to lots of other attractions.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 12:58 PM

If you just have half a day, you can do what all self-respecting Stuttgarters do with a bit of free time on their hands...stroll the Koenigstrasse, do a little shopping, stop at one of the cafes in the Koenigsbau looking out over the Schlossplatz for a drink and some people-watching (or Alte Kanzlei in Schillerplatz for a more intimate feel), maybe have a peek at the Markthalle if you are a foody type (perhaps buy some bread and cheese and fruit and have a picnic in the Schlossgarten?), and generally relax and enjoy yourself!

FYI, the tourist office is at the start of the Koenigstrasse, across from the train station. They also offer a good bus tour of the city that include a trip up the infamous "Fernseherturm" (T.V. tower) for amazing views.

Haven't been to the hot springs myself. As enzian said, they are not in Stuttgart proper but rather the nearby town of Bad Canstatt.

If you are at all interested in cars, the new Mercedes museum (opened in 2006) is excellent and an architectural marvel. The Porsche museum is only one large room with about 30 cars. They are building a new facility that is supposed to open later this year.

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 03:21 PM

Hello LL:

I visited the Porsche museum in September because the new Mercedes museum was closed on the Monday that I was in Stuttgart. As a former Porsche owner, I was looking forward to the experience, but as suggested above, it is one large room with about 20 cars displayed. I will visit the Mercedes display if I get another opportunity.

BTW, the am Schlossgarten Hotel, just across from the Hbf in Stuttgart, serves a great lunch Gradyghost
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 05:55 PM

We were there for a Cannstatter Volksfest visit in late September 2004. I really like Stuttgart alot. The Staatsmuseum (or staatsgalerie?) is huge with a really amazing collection of art.

BUT THE FOOD is to die for eat maultaschen in any and every form you can. We found a few swabische restaurants and particularly enjoyed the Weinstubbe Schellensturm, Weverstrasse 72 in the bean quarter.

Here are my pics...
http://www.worldisround.com/articles/92735/index.html
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 08:14 AM

Hausfrau, I appreciated your remarks regarding "you can do what all self-respecting Stuttgarters do with a bit of free time on their hands.."

We like castles, museums, old town walls, and the like. Still, we always try to build time in every vacation to window show, visit an eiscafe, browse a department store, walk through a park, etc. For us traveling is visiting a culture; it is the most rewarding experience to immerse ourselves for a few hours. The castles, etc. are the icing on the cake.

Regards, Gary
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

hi Gary_Mc,
(For us traveling is visiting a culture).
that is excactly what we look for in our holidays, could you pls tell me of some of the best places for this?
thank you so much
LL