Students in Italy, for 4 days!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone! I'll be an exchange student in Steyr, Austria from Sept to Jan.

I'd like to visit Italy, but the longest break I have is 4 days! Considering that from Steyr to Milan, it already takes 8 hours or so - what itinerary would you recommend, so that I can experience the best of Italy, in just 4 days?

I know that it's impossible to cover a lot of ground, and personally, I'd rather immerse myself in 1 or 2 cities, than waste all of my time hopping on and off of trains. That said, we can't decide on the 1-2 (3 at most) cities we'll be visiting in that period of time.

We were thinking, Milan and Rome?

Also, since we're students, and on a budget, we don't mind sleeping on night trains and so on Thanks for any suggestions!
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 10:06 AM

I wouldn't waste all that time on a train - but would check out low cost flights from your closest airport directly to Rome or Florence/Pisa - otherwise you're stuck starting out in Milan - not one of the tourist highlights of Italy,
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 10:24 AM

From Steyr, looks like your best budget flights are from Vienna. From there, AirBerlin flies to Venice, Milan and Rome.
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 11:30 AM
J62

There is a late night train from Austria (Kufstein & Innsbruck) to Florence via Verona and Bologna that I took many times as a student - a couple of times just for 2days in Florence. You could get to that train from Steyr via Linz.

It's another 90min from Florence to Rome. I wouldn't put Milan high on my 1st time to Italy list. From Linz you can also take an overnight train to Venice - I think you can pick it up in St. Valentin, which is close to Steyr.

For 4 days I'd do 2 in Venice, 2 in Florence

or

2 Rome, 2 Florence.

Considering the time it would take you to get to Vienna airport, checkin, wait, fly, etc. in your case (location & energy of youth) using overnight trains makes some good sense to me.
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice!

I'm just curious - why isn't Milan one of Italy's highlights?
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 05:45 AM
ira

Hi P,

>...why isn't Milan one of Italy's highlights?<

Because it is in Italy.

If it were in Bulgaria, it would be the no. 1 city.

It is overshadowed by Rome, Florence, Venice, the Amalfi Coast, the Cinque Terre, Orvieto, Pisa, Siena, Naples, Sicily......

Old Sep 7th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

I see... what would you recommend then, if I had to pick just 2 cities?

Our new alternative plan (which involves a lot of train time, sadly; I don't want to miss out, though!) involves going to Italy for 1 weekend, just to visit Rome.

Then, during the 4 day break, we'll visit Florence and Milan.

Also, I'm considering a flight to Italy, but doesn't it take a lot of time to check in and out, etc. - so in the end, it'll take the same amount of time as a train?

Sorry, this is my first time to travel alone, so I'm quite clueless ^^
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 04:39 PM
J62

What's your fascination with Milan, especially over Venice?
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 05:03 PM
J62

Sorry - didn't mean to be curt. I would not spend the time to visit Milan over Venice. Milan is a big, very big, modern city. In many ways it is indistinguishable from other big, modern cities anywhere on earth. Yes, there are some beautiful, historic sites - namely the Gothic Milan Cathedral and Da Vinci's last supper, but it doesn't rank on my top 5 places to visit in Italy.

Venice, on the other hand, is absolutely unique. There's only one Venice.

Trains from Venice to Florence take 3hrs - doesn't classify as a lot of train time in my book.
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 02:57 AM
Original Poster

My friend has a relative in Milan, where we can stay overnight. She also offered to tour us. I'd like to catch a football game, as well!

But if the rest of the city isn't as worth visiting as Venice/Florence/Rome (still haven't decided which 2 we'll go to) then we'll save it for another day