Reload this Page >

Italy itinerary - how does this sound?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 07:09 AM
Carolyn

My husband and I are going to Italy in December for a belated honeymoon. Here is our itinerary - I would love to hear comments!<BR><BR>Day 1 - Overnight flight to Milan from NYC<BR>Day 2 - Milan<BR>Day 3 - Milan to Venice on train<BR>Day 4 - Venice<BR>Day 5 - Venice<BR>Day 6 - Venice to Florence on train<BR>Day 7 - Florence<BR>Day 8 - Florence<BR>Day 9 - Florence<BR>Day 10 - Florence to Rome on train<BR>Day 11 - Rome<BR>Day 12 - Rome<BR>Day 13 - Rome<BR>Day 14 - Rome - Flight back to NYC<BR><BR>Comments?

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 07:21 AM
Rex

Other than being in December it sounds well reasoned to me.<BR><BR>I recommend:<BR><BR>1. Ask your hotel (or here on this forum) for assistance getting you a reservation to see The Last Supper in Milan. Shouldn't be hard to get - - but it is by reservation only.<BR><BR>2. Hope you can spare a day out of your Florence time to get out into the Tuscany countryside for at least a day.<BR><BR>3. Enjoy at least not of magical dining - - Villa San Michele, in Fiesole ("suburb" of Florence, in the hills up above), would be a good choice.<BR><BR>Are you still newlyweds? a toast to you, whether this is several months belated, or several years.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 07:24 AM
Ira

Sounds great.<BR>Wondering why you are flying into Milan instead of direct to Florence (PSA or FLR)?

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 07:27 AM
dan woodlief

I am sure some people will tell you to spend some time in the countryside, but I think you have done a good job of dividing the time between the cities. Personally, I would want one more day for Venice, especially on a honeymoon. At the least take the earliest possible train from Milan or leave late on day 6 for Florence. It sounds very much like a trip we took last year. We flew into Venice (was supposed to be for 3 1/2 days but ended up as 3 because of flight cutbacks), took an evening train to Florence and stayed three full days, then took an early train to Rome for five days. Four days is better for Venice (especially for time on the islands), but three is fine, three was ok for Florence but would have liked time for daytrips, and five was fine for a first trip to Rome.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 07:40 AM
CarolynG

Thanks for the speedy replies! What a great forum! We were married this past June, but didn't get to take an exteneded honeymoon. We are going in December, b/c in my husband's business it is the only time of year he can take off two weeks at a time. We are flying into Milan, b/c believe it or not, this type of ticket is actually much cheaper than a roundtrip into Rome. We figure it will actually work out for the best b/c we won't have to backtrack and we would like to see Milan. Thanks for the suggestion on the 'Last Supper' Rex. I had actually read about that in the guide and was planning to call the museum to reserve. <BR><BR>Has anyone here seen Pompeii from Rome without a guided tour? (I don't like guided tours, I'd rather be more adventurous). I understand it involves changing a couple of trains.<BR><BR>Thanks so much!<BR><BR>Carolyn

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 04:09 PM
up

up<BR>

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 09:01 PM
bella italia

I'd probably just replace Milan with Lake Como as its heaeven on Earth & the most glorious place to start a honeymoon (& its not too far from Milan)!

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 11:35 PM
Shar

Agree with Lake Como idea or other lakes in the area. Milan is just a big city, with big city noise and congestion which isn't very romantic and for me there isn't much attraction except for the beautiful cathedral.<BR>Shar

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 04:15 AM
ira

Hi Carolyn<BR>I believe that the Rome/Pompeii trip is train from Rome to Naples Central. There you change to the Circumvesuviana commuter train for Pompeii. Both Trenitalia and Circumvesuviana have web sites.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 05:21 AM
Carolyn

I would cut a night from Florence and add it to Venice. I would also drive (not in Rome)rather than use trains, especially for the part between departing Venice and arriving Rome because it will allow you to see more of the countryside. Have fun and remember Dec 26 is also a holiday in Italy when making your plans.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 06:51 AM
Jack

Hi there. If you are looking for nice and very reasonably priced accommodation in Venice please send me an email and i will help you.<BR>Have a nice day.<BR>Jack