Stratford upon-avon

May 3rd, 2003, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Stratford upon-avon

I'm planning to spend one night in Stratford the end of May. I've rented a car and was planning on stopping in Oxford on the way, stay in a guest house for the evening, then seeing the Warwick castle either that day or the next day before returning to London. Any comment on what I should see and stay?
May 3rd, 2003, 06:55 AM

We did pretty much the same thing. Parking right in Stratford is almost impossible, though not as bad as Oxford where you should use the park-and-ride.

We stayed at the Victoria Spa Lodge, a B&B that's a ten-minute walk out of town, along a picturesque Avon canal. The lodge's name derives from Victoria's stay there before she became queen. Very reasonable rates and a huge classic English breakfast (with fruit, granola and yogurt on the sideboard for health fiends).
May 3rd, 2003, 07:12 AM

I've stayed at Compton House B&B, 22 Shipston Road, which is just across the river via the main bridge.

Tel/Fax: 01789 205646. From the US drop the leading zero and add 01144 or from a cell phone +44.

The postal code is CV37 7LP. Go to www.multimap.com, put in the postal code and you will get an exact location. Note this works with any UK postal code.
May 3rd, 2003, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your insight, last night I sent an email to a B&B, or Guest House, called Ambleside Guest House. They called this morning and said they didn't have what we were looking for but recommended The Emsley Guest House so I booked a room there. Has anyone heard of them or, better yet, stayed there?
May 12th, 2003, 06:16 AM

I live in Stratford so know where the Emsley is- it's on a busy junction so may not be the quietest place but looks clean and comfortable. See www.theemsley.co.uk It is only a 5 minute walk into town from there. For Oxford, park outside the city centre (look out for PARK AND RIDE signs)and take the bus in-it's impossible to park in the centre. Stratford has plenty of car parks which are secure-don't drive around looking for on-street parking! Anyway you should be able to leave your car at the Guest house and get everywhere on foot. Warwick is 10 miles away and you can park in the Castle grounds. Enjoy your stay.
May 12th, 2003, 07:26 AM

When we were in Stratford in August 2001, we once had trouble finding a car park that wasn't filled. Plus, there are lots of one-way streets, which adds to the navigational challenge.
May 12th, 2003, 08:45 AM

If the original Shakespeare theatre is "in season", try to see a play. This was one of the best experiences of a lifetime.