Search

Strasbourg or Salzberg

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2019, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strasbourg or Salzberg

Hello.

After spending a week in Heidelberg over Christmas, we have the opportunity to spend three days exploring a new city (before flying out of Munich). Looking at Strasbourg or Salzberg, giving their relative proximity.

Looking for views on choosing either place. Family of four, two teen kids.

Thank you.
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 12:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Strasbourg is a city with a metropolitan area population of 800,000. Salzburg has a population of 160,000. Not really comparable and also a change of language. Please note that Salzburg is in Austria, so it would have been better to tag with that instead of Germany.

Strasbourg is one of the capitals of the EU if that makes any difference. Extremely cosmopolitan.

Last edited by kerouac; Nov 20th, 2019 at 12:22 PM.
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 12:21 PM

Why not 3 days in Munich?

https://flic.kr/p/7wGVJ9
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 01:17 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
My thoughts exactly...why not three nights in Munich?
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 01:22 PM

It's hard to say without knowing what interests you. I really enjoyed Salzburg for the Mozart sites and connection as I study and play classical music a lot, but for someone who has no interest in that, I think you could probably find more to do in Strasbourg for 3 days. I don't know, I think you can take some mountain tours or something near Salzburg, although I did not, I just stayed in the town. Of course there is the Sound of Music thing but I can't imagine teens care at all about that (unless they are musical theatre buffs, then maybe they would).

Being in Heidelberg and leaving from Munich makes this a really diffiicult itinerary. None of these choices are great by my terms due to how long it will take you to get from one to another (by train). So I'd probably pick Salzburg because it's the only one where it is fairly easy to get from there tyo Munich (only 2 hrs direct train). Of course it will eat up a lot of a day just getting there from Heidelberg, maybe 6 hrs and transferring. But Strasbourg to Munich is a mess, that will take up 5-6 hours right there, and I would never do that at the end of a trip.

I don't know your travel history and where you've been, of course, but if it were me, I would choose neither of those. I'd stay in Germany and go to Leipzig. It's a university town, not too big, you can walk around a lot, lively and some very interesting museums and sights. One of the best train stations in Europe that I've ever used. It is much easier to get there and then to Munchen that either of your choices. I think your kids would like it a lot. You can get there from Heidelberg by train in only 4 hrs (1 change), which is better than Salzburg, that's for sure. And then it's only 3 hours by direct train to Munich. I know you can get to Strasbourg quicker (2 hrs) but you still have to transfer and then as I said, the logistics upon leaving to get to Munich leave me cold.
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. Forgot to mention that we are in fact staying three days in Munich, before we fly out. Just trying to find another relatively close spot. Open to suggestions.
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 02:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Salzburg.

But if you're open to ideas, check out Julie's trip report from some years ago:

New Years in Salzburg
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 02:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd be curious to know what the rest of your itinerary looks like. Also, it's not clear whether this 'detour' must be by train.

I'd be tempted to drive the Romantic Road to Munich. There is a lot to see, and three days would probably mean being selective on the stops/sights. I mention it only as another option (not knowing the rest of your plans).
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Heidelberg: A week,visiting family
TBD city: 3 days
Munich: 3 days, then fly home

Train travel. But, we can rent a car if needed. Not flying in county (ies).

Can spend the whole second 6 days in Munich. I have been and know it is an amazing city. Just looking into options. Only locked into the first week in Heidelberg and flying out of Munich.

Last edited by Matttl; Nov 20th, 2019 at 02:55 PM. Reason: adding info
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 04:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
For info on the Romantic Road....

https://www.romanticroadgermany.com/
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 06:06 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Strasbourg for the food if nothing else.
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 07:02 PM

If you still want to see more Christmas markets, the Salzburg market closes on December 26th. The larger markets in Strasbourg remain open until December 30th. The nearby Colmar market stay open until December 29th.
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 07:30 PM

What about Innsbruck?

It's not that far from Münich and has jaw dropping Alpine scenery, with a compact old town and some really cool historical treasures connected to the Habsburgs.
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 11:30 PM

Hi Matttl,

Are you certain that you want another city? Why not do something different and find a cosy Alpine town or village? In Germany and Austria, public transport is excellent and will easily get you there and keep you moving at your destination. You can spend a few days walking through valleys that connect towns, snowshoeing, tobogganing, or just ascending peaks and sitting in the sun at a mountaintop. If this interests you, you could look at Garmisch-Partenkirchen (where I live) or Mittenwald in Germany, or Kitzbuhel, Zell am See, Igls, or St Anton in Austria.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 07:31 AM

If you are leaving from Munich, I would choose Salzburg. We spent 5 days there one Dec.
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 08:12 AM

I don't see how you can go wrong with either choice but I think Swandav makes an excellent point, so I vote for Garmisch, too!
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 09:58 AM

I don’t go to Salzburg for a few more days, but I would say that Strasbourg is absolutely gorgeous—the Christmas decorations I’ve seen so far are magical— and you should go. It’s also a glorious shopping town if you’re into that, and the history has been very interesting as well.

(Have been to Munich, Dresden, Nuremberg markets, enjoyed all. do not think you can go wrong.)