Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Strasbourg - Route de Vin day trip from Strasbourg doable?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2010, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Strasbourg soon, Saturday PM to Monday afternoon. After reading that Sunday and Monday could be dead in the city, we wonder if we should plan a day trip such as the Route de Vin. Could you tell us about the transportation available for this trip if doable?

Other recommendations will very welcome.
Thanks!
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 06:44 AM

It's definitely doable.

When we stayed in Strasbourg we didn't rent a car. We went to the tourist office and signed up with a van to take us on the wine road and also to the castle. It turned out that we were the only clients, so basically we had a private tour for not very much money. We had to take the train to Colmar (30min ride) and catch the van there. I'll try to find the name of the company if you are interested in this option.

You can also do it rather easily with your own car.
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Susanna

Thank you very much for your quick reply. I will love to have your information.

We will not have a car. We will be train travelers around Strasburg.

Do you remember the cost more or less?

Susanna, thanks again!
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 08:04 AM

I found my old post, here it is. We really liked it, it was easy to arrange and do, well worth the price, especially since we didn't have a car and didn't want to rent one.

Our hotel hooked us up with a small company based in Colmar that does small van tours of the wine roads, they have maybe 3-4 different circuits that you can choose from, either half day or full day, 47/93E. I'm not sure how many the van held, maybe 6ish, but we were the only ones that day and pretty much had a private tour. We did the most popular tour, Riquewihr, Haut-Koenigsbourg and Ribeauville. JeanClaude takes you to these towns, telling you all about the history and such on the way there and then you are on your own to explore, which I liked instead of being led around. He also took us wine tasting and helped explain it in english for us.
Les Circuits D'Alsace
L.C.A. Top Tour
www.alsace-travel.com
email: [email protected]
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 09:08 AM

Hello.

My husband and I planned a long weekend of wine tasting on the Route de vin outside of Strasbourg last fall and it was quite easy to navigate ourselves. Here are some details from our blog - http://30somethingtravel.blogspot.co...in-alsace.html

If you are comfortable driving, it is a beautiful area and the flexibility will allow for a long lunch along the way, a stop at the Haut-Koeningsbourg Castle and a short hike if you are interested.

We set up one wine tasting appointment, but the others were open for tourists at anytime. I list two books in the post that were extremely helpful in decoding French wines and contacting the wineries for appointments and hours.

Have a great time and leave some room in your bags for the wine you will surely buy for home...it is incredible!

Best,
Stephanie
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 09:46 AM

Did the trip easily - stopping in several towns of the towns - but we had a car and could make stops as we pleases.

I would contact the concierge of your hotel in advance and get info on possible tours - and what is open on Monday (a lot of things are closed in a lot of places).