Strange question - Scotland or Southern Spain

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2016, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I know the question is bizarre but I would like to hear opinions from folks who have traveled to both countries. We just came back from a 11 day Portugal trip and had a fantastic time. I would like to start planning our next trip to Europe (10 to 12 days early Aug) to celebrate our 20 year anniversary. I was more or less set on Scotland but our wonderful experience in Portugal is making me wonder if we should consider the South of Spain instead (Seville, Cordoba, Ronda, and Granada).
A little about our interests and prior travels. We love scenic places, atmospheric towns/villages and some history. We celebrated our fifteen year anniversary in Ireland and absolutely loved it (especially the Dingle peninsula, Burren, the N. Ireland coastline and of course the People). Our other fav trips have been to the Austrian lakes region (Wolfgang and Salzburg are memorable), Slovenia (particularly the Julian alps and Logarska dolina valley) and the Dolomites of N. Italy. As mentioned before we are just back from our Portugal trip which including the Douro valley, hilltop villages (Marvao, Obidos) and Algarve (which I did not particularly care for because it felt very touristy although we did enjoy the coastline by Sagres). We loved Portugal for its near perfect mix of scenery, wine, good food, ease of travel and cultural sights.
So my question is will we be disappointed with Scotland? Should we consider the South of Spain instead? Or maybe the Tirol region in Austria? Based on the above I would appreciate your thoughts and opinions. Willing to take some online bashing as well for the question
Old Sep 7th, 2016, 11:17 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
South of Spain will likely be hot. You may want to let the weather guide you, according to your personal preferences. Compare specific locations here: http://www.weatherbase.com/
Old Sep 7th, 2016, 11:23 AM

August in Southern Spain, esp in Andalucia, it's brutally hot. Seville and Cordoba regularly top 40C, which makes sightseeing a test of endurance. Scotland, in contrast , will be generally cool, in high teens or lower 20s, and only occasionally hitting 25C or higher, which makes outdoor pursuit a pleasure (watch out for midges). Rain can be expected at any time. Tyrol is also pleasant and not too hot, but it's the height of tourist season so expect crowds.
Old Sep 7th, 2016, 11:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll be in Scotland next August and the last thing I am expecting to "see" is NOBODY around.
Old Sep 7th, 2016, 11:28 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
August isn't the best time for either country really.

Southern Spain will be <B><red>HOT</B></red> and unless you want to attend the festivals/Tattoo, Edinburgh will be totally chockablock and room rates will be double or even triple the rest of the year. But -- the festivals and Tattoo are world famous for a reason so if you can bear the crowds - Edinburgh is wonderful

Outside of Edinburgh -- Scotland hands down IMO/IME.

>>We love scenic places<<

Rural Scotland has some of the most scenic areas in all of Europe. In fact I enjoy Scottish scenery even more then western Ireland (which is beautiful)

>>atmospheric towns/villages and some history<<

If one can't get caught up in Scottish history they don't have a romantic bone in their body

>>So my question is will we be disappointed with Scotland?<<

I honestly don't see how

But is there any chance you could go in June or July instead?
Old Sep 7th, 2016, 11:54 AM

The Festival only affects Edinburgh, and life in the rest of Scotland just caries on as normal.
August is the main holiday season there so expects crowds in the Highland, but it's easy to avoid them by taking off-the-beaten tracks.
Old Sep 7th, 2016, 01:02 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
The main Edinburgh Festival (including the Fringe and the Tattoo) starts on 4 August next year. The city becomes enormously crowded and expensive - and <i><b>fun</b></i> - during the festival, but it IS manageable if you know what to expect.

For example, if "early August" (your words) could include the first week, you could start in Edinburgh and see the sights, maybe even a fringe event or two - then bug out before the peak crowds and prices strike. (I've taken to staying out by the airport where lodgings are much cheaper than in the city, but still with good access to town if needed, using trains, buses or the shiny new tram from the airport.)

But as stated, once you're away from Edinburgh the crowd factors vanish. Yes, the Highlands get a lot of (mainly European) tourist traffic, but they stick mainly to the well-known routes and even then never grow to the point of congestion. And you - lucky you - have all of us here at Fodor's to recommend places to go and roads to follow that <i>aren't</i> - in many cases - along the beaten path.

And in the Highlands and Islands August (for the most part) is a great time to visit.

Three other thoughts, however. First is a suggestion you have a look at the northeast of England - the Northumberland coast with its castles, the remarkable and beautiful cathedral cities of York and Durham, and the beautiful landscapes of the interior including the Yorkshire Dales, North York Moors, the Lammermuir Hills along the Scottish border, and the abbey towns in the Borders region itself. This is a very rewarding area, combining unmatched history and natural beauty, and less prone to being inundated with visitors in August.

Second sort of takes off on your alpine interests but moves them slightly west to the French alps near Annecy and Geneva. Annecy is a picture-perfect little town on a gorgeous lake with the alps looming behind. And the food's French. 'Nuff said.

Third is farther west still, the Pyrenees. You can fly into Barcelona (hot and tourist-filled, but hey, it's <i>Barcelona</i but then head north past the Monserrat monastery (amazing) and in a couple hours you're in the mountains. Visit Andorra because it's there, maybe swing over into France... but lots of mountain roads and clean air.
Old Sep 7th, 2016, 01:30 PM

I have yet to visit Scotland. It seems like a rather sleepy place to me, though I'm sure it's very beautiful.

All I can is that I have been to Southern Spain in October and had the trip of a lifetime.

Andalucia is more about nice vistas and atmospheric towns than scenery, though. The landscape is sort of barren and dry.

If you're looking for dramatic scenery, Scotland might fit the bill better than Andalucia.

But seriously would you rather be tucked in your bed at 8 because it's cold outside, or enjoying a glass of sangria al fresco in a warm and lively Spanish town?
Old Sep 7th, 2016, 01:37 PM

I don't know why anyone would have to go to bed at 8 even if it is cold, I never do in winter -- however, this is August we are talking about, it's not that cold in Scotland in August, I've been during that time and really enjoyed it and yes, the countryside is beautiful. I never knew the Festival time was supposed to be avoided, I went then because of that and really enjoyed it a lot -- heard a great concert and saw at least one small play, in addition to the tattoo. I really like the performing arts, though.

I would never go to southern Spain in August if I had a choice. That just isn't the optimal time because of the heat, which can be brutal. Yes, I've been there in October also and enjoyed it, but the OP wants to go in early August.

I think you can enjoy either place, but would save southern Spain for another time of year.
Old Sep 7th, 2016, 01:43 PM

During a 10 day stay in Andalucia last August (2015) we experienced 22 to 25oC. It was too chilly to sit out at night on some occasions.

Does anyone posting here actually travel enough to ascertain that it's impossible to apply climate generalisations?

On days last May it was hotter here in Scotland than Andalucia.

In answer to the OP, yes it is a strange question.
Old Sep 7th, 2016, 01:48 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Who said it should be avoided? In fact I've been in Edinburgh the last two Augusts. I was just warning that the city will be VERY crowded and room rates will be 2 or 3X normal (and must be book months in advance).

I personally think everyone should attend the Festivals and Tattoo at least once in their lives -- but the crowds in the city could in fact be off putting for first time visitors. If one understands that - it can be a great time to visit. Much like Mardi Gras in NO and Oktoberfest in Munich -- it will affect what one can see in the city . . . and it fills the city for an entire month not just a few days.

(For anyone who maybe attended the Fringe 20 years ago -- the crowds are MUCH larger now)
Old Sep 7th, 2016, 02:09 PM

BritishCaicos, you must have hit a cold spell. In August, the average temperature is 40℃. That means out of 10 summers you get 9 summers with 40℃ and maybe one with 25℃.

Justineparis,

In Scotland, even in the height of summer, the temperature drops to 10℃ at night in Inverness. Not exactly outdoor dining weather.

I doubt Scottish towns will be as lively and atmospheric as Sevilla or even Ronda. They are pretty much dead after 8, but I'm sure a pleasure to walk around during the day.
Old Sep 7th, 2016, 02:10 PM

<i>During a 10 day stay in Andalucia last August (2015) we experienced 22 to 25oC. It was too chilly to sit out at night on some occasions.</i>

That was once in a decade weather, so OP has one in ten chances of encountering similar. Last month, the temperatures were back into upper 30s and 40s.
Old Sep 7th, 2016, 02:57 PM

Northern Portugal and southern Spain are rather different in character. Even though it can be hot in southern Spain in August, there are still a great many toursts who go to the places you are contemplating.

Have you considered going to the Picos de Europa? That could be a wonderful destination in August that would give you spectacular scenery, nice temps, not many tourists and more of what you enjoyed in Portugal but with a Spanish flair.

However, I don't think you would be disappointed in the Highlands or Western Scotland in general. These are beautiful, beautiful, beautiful places with lots of quality places to stay, and there are plenty of ways to get away from crowds.
Old Sep 7th, 2016, 05:10 PM

I would not even consider southern Spain in Aug. The averge high temp is around 100 and it can get as high as 120 in the inland cities/towns. You can do things only in the early am or evening and need to spend the middle of the day either in an AC room or a nice shady pool.

At that time of year I would definitely do Scotland, which may well be coolr and rainy, but won;t cause heatstroke. And will be enjoyable to vist for the whole day.

Caveats:
I hate heat and love cool weather.
I have been in Scotland in July when it was 40s and raining sideways. But the next day was sunny and 60s, IMHO perfect weather for touring.
Old Sep 7th, 2016, 06:21 PM

I much prefer Scotland to Spain, but then my mother's maiden name was Duncan. I enjoyed Spain, but I'd go back to Scotland in a heartbeat.
Old Sep 8th, 2016, 01:10 AM
ESW

Loacker has yet to visit Scotland, so I think we can dismiss their comments... I'm not quite sure where the impression of Scotland being 'sleepy' comes from and in August there will be much longer hours of daylight than in Spain - possibly an extra three hours. No-one in their right mind would be in bed by 8pm (unless possibly if it was the depths of winter...)

You don't need an afternoon siesta either.

This question is impossible to answer. Toss a coin and decide on that. If you are disappointed with the result, that tells you something!
Old Sep 8th, 2016, 01:16 AM

Scotland For Sure.
Old Sep 8th, 2016, 03:30 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Neither destination is better, both are wonderful places to travel. Weather in southern Spain might be a factor in deciding when to go there (although my only trip to southern Spain was in August years ago). But if you are attracted to both destinations, you can go another time.

I have been to Scotland twice, both times in August, and I would go again in a heartbeat. I split my time between the countryside and Edinburgh. The festivals make Edinburgh an amazingly vibrant city at that time and if you like any type of performing arts I think it is an incomparable experience.

We were lucky with the weather so had lots of sunny days in the countryside, but that is impossible to predict.

You might want to get a feel for Scotland in August by reading my trip report from 2013 (warning, very long):

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...o-scotland.cfm
Old Sep 8th, 2016, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the responses. Certainly appreciate the heads up on the Edinburgh festival. I think we may enjoy a couple days of festivities and the performing arts scene.
Gardyloo and frencharmoire I will look into your suggestions as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -