Stockholm in December

Old Nov 13th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stockholm in December

I will be traveling to Stockholm on December 5. Typically what is the weather like during this time of the year? I understand there will be about 4 hours of day light during this time. What time of day will the sun shine?
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 11:58 AM

Try sunrisesunset.com for the times of day. I have had good luck with the trip planner tab at wunderground.com. That will give you 10 years of historical data for the dates of travel you enter. For the city, enter the airport symbol, ARN, for convenience and speed of response.
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 12:23 PM

I was in Stockholm a couple of years ago between Christmas and New Years. It was very cold, but I was dressed right so didn't bother me.

Actually there was more than four hours of daylight, about six. The were having some unusual weather in that they had a LOT of snow, Copenhagen also. It was much more than normal. I was in Copenhagen and Stockholm for two weeks between the two and we had one day of sunlight and that was our second day in Copenhagen. The rest of the time it was overcast. I was beginning to think the world was ending until we flew above the coulds from Copenhagen to Stockholm and I could see the sun was still there.

So, who can say if the sun will actually shine but you will have daylight from about 9 in the morning until about 3 - 3:30 in the afternoon.

I did have trouble sleeping and I never have a problem with jet lag or sleeping in Europe usually. I'd go to sleep just fine and then a couple hours later I'd wake up and then it was just dozing off and on for the rest of the night. I usually gave up about five or so and would get up shower, dress and my brother would call me...he had the same problem and we'd hit the street for an early morning walk and find some coffee. Those early walks were quite bracing...LOL I'm thinking my sleep issues were related to the lack of sunlight, but not sure and I was certainly up and out every day. It's my personal preference not to use sleep aids so I can't suggest anything for you if you happen to have sleep issues. My SIL did not have any problems..so who knows.

You are going at a great time, the decorations will all be up, you'll see wooden candalabras in every window. They are so cute...I keep meaning to order one. I didn't want to fool with the wiring so didn't get one there. Have a great trip.
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 01:46 PM

Hi Calimom, yes you will experience Stockholm’s ‘darkest days’. If the days are overcast, it will seem like a 24 hour night – but with all the festive decorations, this adds charm and a feeling of cosiness. And there will be a general sense of optimism as the celebration of St. Lucia is close – December 13th. Lucia, the Queen of Light, marks the winter solstice and heralds the beginning of longer daylight hours.

The weather will be cold – could possibly be snow, but quite often Stockholmers experience a ‘green’ Christmas month, and although it means a ‘heap’ of hassles, most scan the weather reports for snowfalls! The transformation from grey and dismal to white, bright and sparkling is breathtaking.

The electric Christmas window candles Crefloors mentions – seven in all, forming the shape of a triangle – are to be found glowing in the window in almost every Swedish household, from high rise apartment buildings to isolated farmhouses. I fell in love with them – and now have two! Actually bought them at the IKEA store in Sydney, so they’re probably available globally at any IKEA store.

Hope you have a wonderful time,
Jackie
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 02:12 PM

As Jackie mentioned, do not miss the St.Lucia festive. There are young Swedish girls, blondes with a garande of candles. They pass in front of you while they're singing.

Yes, there's more.

Normally you can be offered a cup of Klug (mulled wine with raisens, almonds, and cloves) and ginger snaps. If you've been good, you might get a second serving.

Napoli has a similar festival that day. Check with Google and it will give better more information.

Blackduff
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 03:12 PM

As Blackduff mentions, don't miss Lucia - but if you're in Stockholm on the 13th, you actually won't be able to avoid it - it's everywhere!

Lucia is a fascinating tradition in Sweden – dating from the 1600s, when St Lucia was considered the ‘antidote’ to Lucifer, who was said to appear on this longest night. St. Lucia, a Sicilian matyr, is also the patron saint of Syracuse, as well as the patron saint of virgins and eyesight. The song that is sung so lustily Sancta Lucia “Natten går tunga fjät, runt gård och stuva” is actually a Neapolitan folksong.

Modern-day Lucia celebrations began in the 1900s, with a young girl (unmarried and 'virgin') wearing a white gown and a crown of lighted candles (these days battery-operated, , representing the returning sun, carrying a tray bearing the traditional pastries, Lussekatter, baked with saffran and decorated with raisins. And coffee – the ceremony is traditionally early in the morning, so the glögg is usually imbibed later in the day. And watch out, it’s quite often spiked with vodka – and so delicious, the second/third helping could have you performing the Lucia sidestep! Lucia usually has an entourage of ‘bridesmaids’ tärnor, and boys as well, in the form sjärngossor or ‘star lads’

Unfortunately, it’s not all lightness and loveliness – Lucia night is now also traditionally a time of unruly groups, mostly youngsters, partying with excess vodka – often in parks and outside gatherings - and for police/hospitals it’s one of the busiest nights of the year.

But the Lucia festival remains a favourite with all – the coming of the light, the Christmas festivities and the New Year – and it’s celebrated in hotels, hospitals, businesses, factories, schools, churches, clubs, and in many private homes with the children doing the honours.

Enjoy!
Jackie

Old Nov 14th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the great travel tips to Stockholm. Do any of you have a suggestion for a day trip outside Stockholm.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 03:06 PM

You can visit to Drottingsholm but the winter visit will not too nice. You can maybe take a boat ride through the archpelago area but again, the winter weather isn't great for boat rides.

I've never visited but many people have said Uppsala is worthy of a visit. This is the University.

You could spend a day easily visiting the art shops in Stockholm. You can still original prints of artists like Zorn. Watercolours are cheap in Sweden too, if you want to bring somethng home. In any case, shopping in Sweden can spend days and days browsing everything.

Enjoy that city.

Blackduff
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 05:19 PM

I've been to Uppsala and it is a very pleasant city. The burial mounds are interesting if you are into things like that.

Typically what is the weather like during this time of the year? I understand there will be about 4 hours of day light during this time. What time of day will the sun shine?

Think about this for a moment -- what would you expect of the weather near the Arctic Circle in early December? The sun shines (above the clouds) 24 hours a day. You will have visible light at ground level from about 9 to 4.