Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

30 years anniversary: Stockholm or Copenhagen?

May 18th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

My husband and I (we are both 50 years old) are planning our 30 anniversary beginning of December, perhaps not the best time for these countries, but we LOVE cold weather. We'll have 8 days and we are not sure which one is the most beautiful city to visit. We like to visit the major attractions of the city first and then wander aimlessly in the neighborhoods.
What would you suggest?
What hotels would you suggest(around US$250)?
Any other tips will be more than welcome!!!
THANKS everybody for the help!
May 18th, 2008, 07:25 AM

In Copenhagen I stayed at the hotel THE SQUARE, where my window overlooked the main town hall square. I feel this is a great central location. It is walkable to most anything. I walked to Tivoli Gardens, all the way to Nyhaven, as well as the train station at 5AM with my luggage with no problem. I really loved Copenhagen, but bring plenty of money, it's expensive.

Stockholm is lovely too, but I did not have a chance to stay in a hotel there
May 18th, 2008, 09:25 AM

Hi,

I like both cities but Stockholm is my preferred one of the two. Since you have eight days, maybe you could fly into one city , fly to the next , and fly out back from there. For example, 3 nights Copenhagen, 5 nights Stockholm or 4 and 4.

If you go to Copenhagen I recommend you use Priceline to get the Copenghagen Marriott. It's supposed to be a great hotel 4 stars+ and you can get in Priceline as cheap as 4100 per night ( the fare through their website is around $400).
I was just able to get it for a one night stay in August for $125.

In Stockholm we stayed a few years ago at the Sas/ Radisson. I think we paid around $200 per night but I'm sure now it would be more.
May 18th, 2008, 09:34 AM

Stockholm is much more beautiful, but I would spend 4 -5 days in Stockholm, fly to Copenhagen and spend 3 days there.
May 18th, 2008, 11:34 AM

Hi lery

While I have never been to Copenhagen, I visited Stockholm last August. It is a beautiful city in a lovely setting.

We traveled to Sweden to help my daughter get set up for her study abroad program in Uppsala. She has been in Sweden since August and absolutely loves it.

However, she said December and January were her least favorite months and it was not because of the cold. Actually the weather in Sweden, especially Stockholm is much better than the weather in the United Statesí Mid-West or East Coast. Her complaint was the very, very short days. The sun came up late and set very early, (3:00 p.m.). The sun that they did have was very weak with a lot of gray, gloomy days.

I also love to wander aimlessly around the cities I visit, but donít think I would enjoy it with so much darkness. Also, some of the attractions may be closed. My best memories of Stockholm were of the gorgeous views of the deep blue water surrounding the city and the way the sunlight sparkled on the water. It looked like blue velvet adorned with diamond.

We stayed at the Hotel Aldon and we were very happy with the hotel. It was a short walk to the main shopping street and very pleasant 15 minute walk to Gamla Stan.

Have a great trip.

May 18th, 2008, 01:13 PM

>>>Stockholm is much more beautiful, but I would spend 4 -5 days in Stockholm, fly to Copenhagen and spend 3 days there.<<<

IMHO, Copenhagen is much more beautiful. Either it is a matter of taste or the poster did not have the chance to explore Copenhagen.

In Copenhagen, try Hotel Sankt Petri. Maybe you are lucky and they offer a rate which is in your budget. (It is two classes above the Marriott.)
May 18th, 2008, 01:29 PM

I visited both cities two days after Christmas about three years ago. It was so cold, and more snow that they had had in years, and it was fabulous.

I liked both cities very much but if I were to just go back and stay in one of them, it would be Stockholm. We stayed at the Lady Hamilton hotel in Gamalstan The hotel had a bed and breakfast kind of feel, a wonderful buffet breakfast every morining. The building is many hundreds of years old so the rooms are quite small, but I really liked the hotel and the staff. The old town in wonderful for strolling and shopping. The castle is right there and also the Stockholm Cathedral...it has a very interesting history. The Nobel Museum, which was very interesting, is also in Gamalstan.
May 18th, 2008, 02:10 PM

"Either it is a matter of taste or the poster did not have the chance to explore Copenhagen."

it IS a matter of taste - after seeing Stockholm Copenhagen just did not measure up.
May 19th, 2008, 08:22 AM
kja

Hi, lery -

I thought both cities were beautiful, and agree with others that you might want to consider spending 2 or 3 days in Copenhagen first and then 4 or 5 in Stockholm.

Enjoy!
May 19th, 2008, 05:38 PM

What a choice to make!!! I like both and believe both will be beautiful with snow. One point is that Tivoli is open some part of Dec similiar to the Christmas markets in Germany(and other places). In Stockholm besides Lady Hamilton it's sister (or should I say brother) is Lord Nelson -equal charm and location and Gamla Stan Hotel is another great choice.

You really can't go wrong with such a choice - but I believe I will second others about trying to do both.
May 21st, 2008, 07:16 AM

Both cities are beautiful,but , in my opinion, Stockholm is a bit bigger, and its much more to see.
But still its depends- for sure both are expensive. And they are not far from each other- take a train- don't fly